$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Wild West Most Wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrNick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Wild West Most Wanted Reply with quote

I've been to this album a lot lately, for anyone who doesn't know it's a compilation of songs loosely on a cowboy theme. It has contributions from Jeff and Jack Lewis (separately), Prewar Yardsale, Dufus and so on. There's a glorious inept track called 'Johnny Guitar' by Oil Rig Catering, It's a great album, I bought it last year but I've been listening to it a lot in the last week.

Anyway, there's a track on it called 'Concept of India' by Jack and Brent. This is one of the most astonishing things I've ever heard, it's anti-folk rap with bizarre stream of consciousness lyrics with an enormous range and a very puzzling ending. So, does anybody else know this song? Does anyone have any theory as to what it's all about? And does anybody know who Jack and Brent are, as extensive googling has revealed nothing?
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The album is very good, i really like it a lot.
I laught at clip clop hip hop a lot, i also enjoyed the prewar yardsale tune and the one with Jeff and Rachel Lipson. All songs are great.
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was pleasently supprised how good this album was, it seemed a little strange for a bunch of anti folk artists to all record songs based around a cowboy theme but then I guess the randomness of that very idea is what makes it anti folk - Id deffinately recommend this album!

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
simplekate

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Nick,
I know this is 7 years later but what the heck. Concept of India is a great track!

Been doing some googling myself and I think the guys responsible are Jack Dishel and Brent Cole. I am yet to listen further to double check but they both have Moldy Peachy links etc, so I think it's gotta be them.

There's a nice long interview with Brent Cole here: http://kristinangelique.blogspot.co.uk/p/brent-cole-wooden-ghost-moldy-peaches.html

Hope this helps. I'm off to continue my own listening research now Smile
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept of India did a show at Sidewalk in NYC a few years ago and it was absolutely awesome! It was maybe 2005, I forget.
Brent Cole is also known as Strictly Beats, he was the drummer in the Moldy Peaches and he also was the drummer for Dufus for a few years... he's in the bands Wooden Ghost and Berth Control.
Jack Dishel was the lead guitar player in the Moldy Peaches, but also the main guy in Stipplicon. He is married to Regina Spektor, and he performs solo under the name Only Son, he often tours as Regina's opening act.

I don't think Concept of India existed very long as a band, I only know of two shows that they did. There was a third guy in the band, I don't know his name.
But really, I've seen a lot of Only Son shows and I saw a lot of Stipplicon shows but the best Jack Dishel show I ever saw was the Concept of India show at Sidewalk.
DrNick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, simplekate & Jeff, for your replies - turns out I do know who both those people are, and have probably seen both of them play in some form or another.

Of course, I realise I am six months late in responding to your responses which were themselves seven years after the initial post (I haven't hung about this forum for a while). This makes me think back to what I was doing in 2006 and all the stuff that has happened to me since (including a sort of spiritual early mid-life crisis when I turned thirty).