$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Just found myself

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamlet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Just found myself Reply with quote

Hi,
I looked myself up on Google and just found out who I was, according to Jeff ,on the Olive Juice site (now cached only).
Re; the Posters video:
"The barkeep is Thelma Blitz, former employer of ESP-Disk records, Jacques Brel expert, maker and seller of interesting items from bizarre sunglasses to hats and baby shoes and other things - find her selling her wares on weekends on spring street, west of west broadway- "

I do not tend bar but had the honor of playing the bored bar lady in Jeff's posters video . I am a New Yorker, big fan of Jeff's music and comic books, and enjoy coming to his message board.and encountering European appreciators. I am from the former generation, hippy times, golden age of singer/songwriter. I place Jeff in that golden age. Tapes from the Crypt is my favorite CD so far.
Message Thread:
moe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hI:::::really nice story....that is really a honor

welcome

http://moreeats.bandcamp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bibasse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice post. So you listen to Jacques Brel? Do you understand french, or is it something else that you like in his songs?
I just got my copy of "la chanson de Jacky", I really like this one.

(*) Limited to 255.
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been translating Brel's chansons into English for an American record company, DRG records. This company has reissued Infiniment, Brel, Olympia '61 and '64, L'homme de la Mancha, and a tribute compilation called Next for North America . In France it was done with French artists and called "Aux Suivants." Noir Desir did a great rocked out heavy metal version of Ces Gens La which would have made Brel turn over in his grave. He only liked classical music. I think Brel is a great chansonnier, the one best known in America, but known mostly in Mort Shuman's off- Broadway show tunes translation. I have been into originals. I was bored with the music scene in my country and my time, so I travelled to France in the sixties where I discovered Brel, Brassens, and Barbara on vinyl LPs in second hand stores and on Ebay. I was very happy with my discovery and glad I learned enough French in school to understand them with a lyric sheet before me.
La Chanson de Jacky makes me think of Brel's modesty, his pudeur, his humor, and after my translation was published I learned what "con a la fois" meant to him. I couldn't understand why he would want to be stupid or a con. Reading his daughters book, Brel ,by France Brel, I learned he thought that stupid , good-looking people had better, easier lives than ugly ,intelligent ones . He thought he was ugly but he was one of the handsomest leading men ever.
Kieron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool and interesting, Thelma. I did a search for me once, and it came up with a mountainbike race result, from about nine years ago. There's also a link that lists all the people on a Cooper Temple Clause (snale) mailing list. Oh the embarresment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hamlet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Cooper Temple Clause? Wish we had some control over what Google says about us. It can be embarassing. You never know when you sign a guestbook or write a letter to a newspaper whether or not it's going to turn up on Google. We should be queried first as to whether or not we want it to be made public.[/url]
Kieron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper Temple Clause (or is it Cooper Temple Cause? I can never remember) is a British band, who sound like Oasis, but lack their charm. Which says a lot, really. I guess those two mentions (that, and the mountain biking) on Google are not so bad. Certainly could be worse.

I'm inclined to think that asking for the permission of every single person who's mentioned in every website could become a rather tedious task. Imagine the news we would never hear about because not all sides gave their explicit permission!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hamlet, thats a great story.

when Ive googled my name all I get is some guy who plays for a tiny american soccer team

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
ema

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised how did i miss that?!!
that's absolutely awesome, lucky Thelma!!!! hehe, i had no idea that i was talking to the" bored bar lady"...this is sooo cool !! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamlet wrote:

La Chanson de Jacky makes me think of Brel's modesty, his pudeur, his humor, and after my translation was published I learned what "con a la fois" meant to him. I couldn't understand why he would want to be stupid or a con. Reading his daughters book, Brel ,by France Brel, I learned he thought that stupid , good-looking people had better, easier lives than ugly ,intelligent ones . He thought he was ugly but he was one of the handsomest leading men ever.

Smile