message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

what was your best gigs ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moe

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sonic youth, i sa them playing at the st. gallen open air(swiss) last year and they had been amazing...all these other people Except i think 20i others havent recognized what was going on, on the stage...great!

http://moreeats.bandcamp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bibasse

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best show ever was sunday on the printemps de bourges. There was Architecture from Helsinki, Cocorosie (awful because of an unbelievable serie of gear failures, we felt sorry for them), and Emilie Simon. Until then, it looked like a regular, cool show.
Then came the Flaming Lips. Ground, space-breaking. I think that any non-fan would have said it was a blast. Yet it could be described in two words : balloons and cotillons.

(*) Limited to 255.
Kieron

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the Yoof play before, but I have a friend who did. They said it was a bit rubbish, cos they just had some kind of psuedo jazz jam on electric guitars for two hours and never played My Friend Goo. Or anything, really.

But my best gig... hmmm, not sure. i saw Drugstore in Birmingham, UK once, and it was so good. They were so good at putting on a show. They played for about forty-five minutes, and then left. Isabel came back on stage, to goade the audience to chant for an encore. It was a tiny bit contrived, I guess, but so much fun! Yeah, brill.

Another amazing gig was when the AntiFolk allstars did a tour of the UK. I remember there being about five acts on. Misty's Big Adventure were there, and brill. Also Kimya Dawson -- I got my homemade Moldy Peaches t-shirt signed by her, with a picture of a big monkey on my back! Also got a photo of her doing so, and another shot with her hugging me! Also saw Jeff Lewis for the first time and fell in live (heterosexually, ofcourse!) and I think perhaps Dufus and Prewar Yardsale and maybe even Herman Dune were playing too. Not sure about those, but lets juts say, I was blown away!

EDIT: Where I use the word HETEROSEXUALLY above, I really mean NON-SEXUALLY! I mean, I'm not a woman trapped in a man's body or anything Embarassed

Last edited by Kieron on Thu May 04, 2006 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow kieron Im so jealous, that just sounds like the best line up you could imagine! there are quite a few antifolk artists Id like to see but that is a top top line up

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieron wrote:
I've never seen the Yoof play before, but I have a friend who did. They said it was a bit rubbish, cos they just had some kind of psuedo jazz jam on electric guitars for two hours and never played My Friend Goo. Or anything, really.

Well i was kind of a big Sonic Youth fan myself, especially daydream nation and goo era, i went to a show in 1992 when sonic youth were playing with Pavement as opening band, obviously Pavement was totally mind blowing (if you got the slow century dvd, you can see two songs from this show, les transmusicales de rennes) but i didn't liked the sonic youth set at all, it was mostly noise, thurston singing was crap, they didn't do much apart for hitting their guitars strings with anything they can find around, that was funny for a couple of minutes tho.....but again Pavement were so brillant that i didn't even care that Sonic Youth sucked !
Pavement ist rad !
terricloth

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav wrote:

Pavement ist rad !

this is the truest statement on the internet
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav wrote:

Pavement ist rad !

You're sounding a little German there Dav! Laughing

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
anothergirl

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I have to do some sonic youth defence... When I saw them they played a lot from Nurse which was the album they'd just released, and I guess that's only to be expected... And they do more of the feedbacky noisy stuff live than on record, BUT they still played 100%!!! And Drunken Butterfly!!! Teenage Riot! And they ended with Expressway to yr Skull!!!!!!!!!! And they're just so cool!!!
Can't wait for venn festival in bristol at the moment - 2nd-4th june, feat vashti bunyan, crescent, herman dune, ariel pink and many more... Also might try to get to the Phoebe Kreutz (sp?) gig in Bath next week
Kieron

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, anothergirl, my comments were purely based on soemone elses experiences. If Sonic Youth decide to play Edinburgh I'm still gonna go, despite all I've heard! How can one not go see them? It has to be a once in a lifetime experience!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
anothergirl

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH! Don't wait til they come to edinburgh though! All Tomorrows Parties Dec 06: anybody there with me?? This could be your new best gig!!
captainfudgies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: what was your best gigs ? Reply with quote

Dav wrote:
I saw Pavement back in 92 and that was awesome, with Gary their first crazy drummer

One of the gigs that impressed me the most was My bloody valentine back in 1991 in Rennes, that was amazing....

you've seen pavement with gary?
you lucky bastard, i'll never have the chance to see something like that Crying or Very sad
gary young is far one of the best drummers ever, haha. the best recordings with him are some of the "westing musket"-record, especially his drumming on "my first mine"

and my bloody valentine, someone told me, that kevin shields' guitar is nearly so loud as j mascis'. that could be a rumor, hehe.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Pavement show is my pride!
about my bloody valentine, well i saw dinosaur jr two times and i can tell you that the sound is way way way more loud at a mbv gig, they played a 17 minutes version of You made my realise, i hear nothing but ttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiii in my hears for 8 days.
That's definitly the best gig i went to.
moe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate you dav

Smile

http://moreeats.bandcamp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moe wrote:
i hate you dav

Smile

Thank you! Very Happy
ema

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moe wrote:
i hate you dav

Smile