message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeff finds God at Loisaida Festival 5/28/06 NYC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ema

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoooot??? america?well, it's gonna be too long, man!
and i told you that the france have nooooo taste in music.... well, except the few frooonch on here Cool Laughing
and you know that i loooove a lot of bands from england....it's actually my musical roots .....but i don't care if a band is italian, from US, english, french or whatever....the more important is the muuuuuuzic!!

Location: Staten Island, New York City/SUNY Purchase College, New York

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American bands usually have to go to England to become popular in the U.S.

and even then, it usually doesn't work.

I always thought I heard the Pixies were really popular in the U.K. though, and that Trompe le Monde was a big hit.
ema

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixies were/are more popular in Europe than in America......they're famous in france for eg....we could even say that Pixies is a big influence for shitloads of bands...well they're quite unique !!!!i love 'em!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah there, Ema!

I have a theory about underground American artists making a name for themselves in Europe that is greater than their name in their native States, and it runs counter to Ema's response. This, of course, does not refer to all, or even many, Brits, (or continental Europeans) but I think it certainly does happen. People over here like to hear stuff that is kinda exotic. To an American, perhaps Jeff Lewis, Kimya Dawson, and erm, people like that, may just sound like typical open mic fair, but certainly to me, and people I know who like this kinda stuff, there's a certain flair to it -- it just seems kinda exciting. Also, the Brits in particular like to vote for the underdog... I think it's fair to say a fair few of us were drawn both to Jeff's astute songwriting, but also his relative obscurity...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jack fe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what Ema said on the last page. The majority of people just acknowledge the music rammed down their throats without questioning it or looking for something more exciting or honest.
Yeah, I heard that Pixies were really big here once, but I dont think that would happen again. People like too much crap in the charts.
I don't think it's that people don't like music around the world, it's just that, that kind of music, isn't in the charts, so no one will pay it any attention (apart from the lucky few).
It really annoys me that no one (really) has good taste in music, but then again, I'm quite selfish about music. I could not handle it is Jeff was a huge star and all the people who I hate have his records. I like that he's (and other artsists) are like a secret that only a few people know about, it makes it feel a lot more special. But then again, I would want him to make more money and keep going for a long time. It's very confusing!
Kieron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Fe, Ema, don't get me wrong -- I agree that the majority of people are swayed by corporate marketing of popular music, and hence lots of good stuff goes relatively unheard... I was merely responding to kevin!gilmartin's question as to why Jeff appears to have more European fans on here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fabalbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really cared about where the music I listened to was from It's all about the music maaaaan, but seriously it never really occurs to me. I'm in the UK, but the other day I realised that the majority of my favourite bands are American, specifically New Yorkian.

I don't understand why people like Jeff and Kimya aren't ruling the world right now. I feel similarly to Jack FE in that people just take what is given to them and don't go out searching for themselves. Even though I think everyone could love Jeff, I'm a complete hypocrite in not wanting that. If the people at my school ran around singing the lyrics to "Alphabet" I know I would cry a lot, even though it seems like the logical thing to do (if you're me that is).

Also, I'd like to stick up for NME. Although a lot of what they say is crap, they introduce me to some stuff that I otherwise wouldn't see, and it's very important to me to find music that I love. It's not all bad. Smile

Sorry for that long rambling post. I doubt I answered anyone's questions. Confused
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the dvd from Hamlet, it's great !
Now i have to shrink it a little and convert it to Avi, it may be p in couple of days.....if some of you are interested in the dvd file, let me know, but you can't do nothing with it if you don't own a dvd burner....
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got to say I agree with Jack on this one and it is a confusing situation you wish the boys success but selfishly want to keep them to your self - it reminds me of stories of the Beatles (to confirm to ema that us brits are stuck in the past lol) where by before they were famous their fans that use to watch them play in the cavern club in Liverpool refused to buy the bands first releases because they didn't want them to get big and leave them as they knew they would

The state of chart music has become dreadful these days I never have any idea what is in the charts because Ive stopped caring after being constantly disapointed by the rubbish we have to endure, thats why top of the pops is coming to an end this month after 30 odd years because they cant make a watchable show out of this crap.

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror