$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Syd Barrett covers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Syd Barrett covers Reply with quote

I recently heard Susanna Hoffs latest album. Bright Lights, and was surprised to hear a cover of Syds "No Good Trying." (Its not a great version, imo). She is a co-founder of the Bangles, and although she frequently covers sixties songs I can't recall any other female artists covering one of his tunes. I'm sure there have been others but I can't think of any offhand.

It got me thinking about other covers versions. Probably the first I ever heard back in the early 90s is still probably the most unusual. Its a cover of Bike by Fortran 5, Although its a Pink Floyd song it was written by Syd. What's odd is that the vocal is comprised entirely of samples from Sid James. He was a comic movie actor famous in the UK during the 1960/70s, hence the full-title of the song "Bike (Sid Sings Syd)"

You can hear it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxGl3k5EdY

What other notable cover versions do you know?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting!
A few years ago I did a couple of gigs opening for Sean Lennon's band Ghost of a Sabretooth Tiger, and they did a good cover of Octopus - or wait, maybe it was Long Gone - somehow I forget which song it was - though at the time I thought it was one of the best Syd covers I'd heard, they really nailed it.