message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

How are we all holding up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uk is a bit more normal again from this Monday, non essential retail opened up and we can see people outdoors. I had a good shop as my house is being painted and decorated so I need to get furnishings. Looks lovely now it’s nearly done. I have seen my sister once and a friend too which felt weird after all these months. I do need to book a haircut after them being shut for so long.
I hope the other countries you’re all in are doing well and opening up?
lauragek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not opening up yet, doing okay. Started listening to more music and surprise surprise, I feel better. Why didn't do that before????
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I agree, last week I felt really miserable so I stuck on some punk, turned the sadness to anger, jumped and sang in the kitchen for a bit, felt better! Better than any antidepressant and no side effects (except for the nearly passing out from dancing too hard when my body is knackered from too much ballet).
I’m sorry you still have restrictions. I really hope it eases up for you soon, or at least you can see your vaccinated friend again to keep spirits up. I am having my vaccine next week. Thinking of you all xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been dancing at home since November because at that point I had done so much home-dancing I had hurt my foot, some kind of hairline bone fracture or something! So I gave it a rest for a while. But I've been jogging again recently and my foot feels fine so just today I danced around to one or two songs... and it was soooo much fun! Helen's right that it's such a great antidepressant and mood lifter and with no side effects (other than the occasional broken foot if you get too happy and enthusiastic!).
New York is still sort of as open/shut as it has been... some restaurant indoor dining allowed but still mostly outdoors I think... and some movie theater access, which seems exciting, but I can't totally figure out when or where or how, because the movie theaters have not updated their websites, things still look shut down online even though they are a bit more open than that in reality.
My shot #2 appointment is May 1, my shot #1 was very far away from me, up in the BRonx, a very long bicycle ride... I recently got a text message that they were moving my location for shot #2, I was excited they were moving it closer... or so I thought... it turns out they moved my May 1 location even FURTHER away, it's crazy! But still, what the heck, it's great that it's available and accessible. It feels very free, that I can be vaccinated and be able to go anywhere and travel and do stuff, and I still don't have any tour stuff on my schedule, it's like a wide open world of possibilities, and nothing on my calendar yet! First thing, I want to go to the west coast to see some family and friends out there because it's been so long.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like as us Lewis band fans and members get older we need a bit of a warning on dancing “you are not 20 any more, keep it steady!” At least in order for it to be a truly side effect free anti depressant!
Thanks for the New York update. According to British news it’s bad in India, Brazil and the Netherlands so sorry to those people there. Spring has at least started to reach the uk which is good for everyone after a whole winter on depressing lockdown. You know it’s been bad when you’re just glad to be in a random shop not just selling essentials, wandering round and treating yourself.
Good luck with vaccine two! I am so excited for the day you can come back to cardiff and play some songs and we can hug and say “we survived the pandemic!!” X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly be an amazing day. Surely it's on its way.
lauragek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get so excited with every person I know getting their vaccine. Congratulations and good luck! I have so many people on my "to hug" list, just thinking about how amazing it will be to hug people again fuels me with energy.

I just asked my boyfriend to marry me next year when we will be together for ten years and he said yes! We will definitely go to the municipal office to get the official stuff done on the date but we don't know yet whether we'll already do the wedding party in April or first let our social life recover a bit. But I'm really happy to have a party with all our loved friends and family to look forward to and spend the next year planning. We agree that we will only have the wedding when all of corona is over and we can spend all day worry- (and test-) free hugging and dancing with everyone. It might be the date of our 6 month or 1 year anniversary of getting officially married but who cares.

The first step in relieving the measures has been announced yesterday: next week cafes and restaurants will be allowed to open their terraces and non-essential shops can receive customers without reservations now. There's no decrease yet in the amount of cases or hospitalizations but at least the daily numbers aren't going up much anymore.

I'm still sticking with my "I'll probably not get my vaccine before September" despite the government keeping up that everyone will have their first vaccine at the beginning of July. With all the problems with AstraZeneca and now J&J I don't believe there won't be more big issues coming up the next few months. I'm getting more and more disappointed by the government and its institutions in managing the social and logistic aspects of this pandemic. So, time to turn up the music and go back to my own little world Wink
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! That's happy news, even tho it's in crazy times, but that makes it extra special too!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great news congratulations! I hope you get the wedding you want and be happy forever. My favourite thing about weddings is seeing the dress, do you have any ideas what you will wear? I’ve never married but if one day I do it will be very sparkly.
I’m sorry you’ve got a case load spike at the moment. It will end I promise, get those tunes on and everything will feel normal for a bit. X
lauragek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! It's a nice happy thing between all the stressfulness, haha!

Oof, a big sparkly dress is certainly not for me! I kindof want to get a suit. (ab)use the situation to get myself a nice tailored one that I can then keep using the rest of my life. But I also like dancing in a long swirly dress/skirt so it might have to be a two outfit situation. Definitely colorful and I do want to look really good.

When I was little we had a treasure chest full of costumes. My favourite was the Indian (or as we should call it nowadays, Native American) costume which was a brown shirt and shorts cut up to have all these frills, and then of course the head thing with all the feathers. That costume (minus the head thing) was my mom's wedding "dress". Yes, she cut up her wedding clothes to use as a costume for her kids, bless her! My dad used his wedding trousers when painting and doing other work around the house until the pants got too tight. My parents don't have wedding rings, and they're going strong 30 years still with a great marriage.

You might see where I'm getting at - no big white or sparkly gown for me. I love the idea of wearing your wedding outfit for "the rest of" your life.

I just called my best friend yesterday to ask her to be my witness. Is that the same as maid of honor? We don't really have the bridesmaids and groomsmen tradition here. Anyway, that's the same friend I was able to hug a while back. She's vaccinated, because she is a doctor in the hospital. Has been swamped lately, and was really upset because of all the deaths of patients of hers this week. It was really nice to brighten her day with the news (and the honor) and I can't wait to be able to visit her and do lots of excited wedding planning stuff.

Up until now I've always dreamed of having Jeffrey Lewis or some of my other favorite musicians play at my wedding. My partner isn't that much of a fan though, so I think I might have to let that dream go... Also, when moving on to reality suddenly the expense of things becomes much more important, oops... We will have one hell of a playlist though!

Fun question to distract from the actual topic of this thread: regardless of if you will actually marry or want to get married, what aspect of a wedding do you think is really cool/would you do in a very specific way?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it’s not too stressful planning especially in this early stage.
A suit sounds amazing, you do you! I love the idea that you want to reuse the outfit too. I think I would go for two different ones if I was you but go with what you want as it’s your day.
Aside from my sparkly dress (sorry I am a bit girly like that) I definitely would get a calligrapher to do my invites and have a non religious ceremony. I might consider going abroad too for the main bit and having a party locally because I get nervous of being looked at so could keep it small. A beach wedding sounds nice. What’s not for me is a theme wedding where everyone dresses up.
I too would like one of my favourite artists play at my wedding, although accept that it is a dream too far really. Have you thought of your first dance song? I bet you have a cracking wedding playlist, do you know any DJs?
The wedding I have been most involved in was my sisters and it was a good example of a wedding gone well. Nice location, day ran smoothly and they too are still together. A classy day but not over the top.
Do you have a wedding planning scrap book? I see them in my local craft shop and I would definitely get one if I was planning a big day.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all so sweet and great!
It's kind of a fun hypothetical question "what kind of wedding would you want to have"... I've never tried that thought experiment!
Let's see... I think I'd say I'd want a relatively small wedding for the actual wedding, I don't know, maybe even with NOBODY there, or just immediate family and a couple of oldest friends. And then a more loose big party sometime later, with a full invite list of anybody and everybody, food, music, I guess what this means is that I feel like I'd try to avoid the awkward part of being in the spotlight, and just skip to the "here's a nice excuse for everybody to be at a big expensive party together" part. But my hypothetical partner might have different ideas about all of this anyway! And, it's funny, in my mind I'm always thinking of this sort of event like I'm going to be selling tickets for it, with a budget for expenses and the number of tickets that could be sold, etc, but this isn't a gig, it's a party! So it's only expense, no ticket-sales income! That might factor in to my plans to have a "big party" haha!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend got married with no family just two witnesses. For me that’s a step too far, although obviously each to their own. I’d like my parents and sisters there at least. I think I’d feel pretty rejected if my sister got married without me there too even if I understood that it was their choice. I guess it depends on your relationship with your family as some families can be guaranteed to cause problems so it’s easier to invite no one and have a calm happy day. Plus lots of people live or go abroad which can be problematic for whole families getting together.
Have you ever played at a wedding Jeff, or been asked? Among other artists that you know is this a thing? I’m curious about how it would work. I guess the location would be an issue, it could be a long way to go for one event but if it fitted into an already booked tour it would be less of a pain. I don’t know, my terrible music skills will never be requested for anything!
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things here in the US have a bit been more streamlined and I have been fully vaccinated for about a month or so. CDC came out loosening restrictions and people here in Kansas went a little buck wild and I see maskless people everywhere. I still wear mine when I go the store and stuff as more of a courtesy.

I have been seeing friends that I haven't seen in person in a long while and I might actually be able to celebrate my birthday with them which is so nice. Really awesome to give and get some hugs. Also, I have been to the movies several times since I have been vaccinated. I'm not sure I would have if I wasn't doing a movie podcast(169 episodes so far, been doing it for 3 years) but, I have really missed that.

My job has actually has actually bought much smaller office space which indicates this working from home situation is permanent. I absolutely adore working from home so this is a plus although I wish this were under different circumstances. I also have to recognize how lucky I am as person who got their GED(dropped out of high school and got my equivalency a year later) and did some community college but never finished to have a desk job that pays me well enough for to work from home. Not saying I haven't worked my ass off because I have but I am fortunate for a lot of things.

Thing I am for fortunate for: I have a wife who is amazing and I'm not sure what amazing things I have done in a past life to deserve having someone so incredible in my life. This pandemic has been shitty but without her around I don't see my faring so well. Having a house, two cats and a dog who is pretty stoked we are home all the time. Family and friends who have been sick have recovered without incident. I am a lucky guy and I try to remind myself of that every day.

Now, let's beat this thing
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck yea!

It's good to focus on the good Smile

Things are finally starting to look up here. The past 2 weeks numbers have finally gone down, both positive tests and hospital/IC. Terraces are open again (now to wait for the rain to stay away, haha), shops are open again, and we can have 2 visitors a day.

Thanks for helping me remember to focus on all those wins, and push the anxiety over when the next wave will come crashing in to the back.