Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

The Story of Chile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: The Story of Chile Reply with quote

I finally did a public post of my recent piece "The Story of Chile", it is on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yyIhL4lHo
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a good one. I have never been to Chile or even known someone from there but know a bit about the dark past there. Thank you xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Glad I finally got this one done. Working on a new project now, but not a history thing.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked back and see it has been being drawn since at least September, so much work! Looking forward to the new project already!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had completed the Chile piece by early October, but then the USA presidential elections loomed so large in those weeks that my attention (and everybody else's) was elsewhere, it didn't seem like the right time to post the Chile story. I figured I'd wait until the dust had settled a bit on the USA election, which sort of took a while!
I'm quite pleased that I've been able to create a few of these illustrated songs this year, it had been at least 2 years since I did any new ones, and now I've got about 4 new ones made in the 2020 year alone: The Great Gatsby, Star Wars, The Story of Chile, and "My Presidential Choice 2020"... and now this new one that I'm working on currently (plus also working a bit on starting my new comic book issue, tho I haven't done anything on that for a week or so). But it's been about 3 or 4 months since I wrote any new songs... I just haven't been picking up the guitar (or notebook) very much, after making up quite a lot of songs in the first half of the year, while in heavy apartment-lockdown mode!
So today the news says that the first shipment of virus vaccine is arriving in NYC... the liberation begins!
AND the CNN news headline is "US electors are scheduled to meet today to formally affirm Joe Biden's presidential victory"... so it's a good day for change around here!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we started this discussion Chile has popped up three times today on various media, not sure if that’s me recognising patterns that aren’t there or it’s a bit weird.
You can only do so much with so many hours in a day and one pair of hands, I think you have had a very productive year from this point of view.
We have had the vaccine here for about a week, so far so good for the majority. I plan to take it when my turn comes, obviously the doses are set up so the most vulnerable get them first so who knows when I will reach the top of the list. Britain is currently in a Covid/brexit mess, the news here is genuinely depressing right now. Glad at least one nation is having a better time of it! X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd honestly forgotten about Brexit till I got a message from my web store today saying I'd need to figure out how to set up new UK tax stuff for the new import tax/VAT rules that are coming!
That's interesting about Chile coming up in various ways, always weird when that sort of thing happens!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could forget about brexit! The “oven ready” deal Boris Johnson claimed he had during the election was frankly a load of bollocks. Millions spent and very little is sorted out. All the money promised to the nhs on the side of a bus, load of bollocks, it can’t cope with Covid let alone anyone else with any other serious medical condition, and forget healthcare if it’s not serious. It’s basically a huge mess, stuff is tough enough without knowing that it’s going to get progressively worse. They never should have trusted the British public to make a decision on something so complicated.
I can run your uk orders from here if you want, might make things easier?! Send stuff out locally? I was going to buy the new big fuff series but it cost £60 to ship so I couldn’t justify it, a uk base would have secured a sale. Just an idea, you can side step it all.
I watched bbc news for about ten minutes and no mentions of Chile yet today, I’ll see how the rest of the day goes. X
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to read things are looking up with Bidens victory official and the first vaccines arriving there! We got the news yesterday the whole country is going into full lockdown for 5 weeks. First time the stores fully close here (except food & medicine)...

I guess I'll have loads of time during my christmas break to check out all the new stuff, including The Story of Chile!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry about the big lockdown, it’s such a hard situation to be in, especially as everyone wants to see all the people they care about. Are you happy with your countries management so far? It is impossible to please everyone and you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t as a government but I can’t help feeling it’s been poorly managed in the uk by our lot. I really hope the media helps you get through it, I have to say it has saved me this year, I can’t imagine how insane i would be without it. Let us know if you find anything amazing! X
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat's crazy about the big new lockdown where you are, how big an area does that cover?
Helen C, thanks for the offer of being a UK distro for me but it's kind of an unsolvable problem... I'd have to pay to ship the comix to you in the UK, in order to save the cost of shipping them to the UK, if you see what I mean! Most customers on your side of the Atlantic are paying something like $25 for the current shipping rate, I'm not sure what that is in pounds (or euros) nowadays, I know it's pricey, the high shipping costs have definitely skewed my sales more towards USA sales (where the Complete Fuff, for example, can ship within the USA for $4).
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s okay, just thought I’d offer! Always available to help a friend.
No mentions of Chile anywhere yesterday so looks like it was a one day thing. X
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps Wales is going into full lock down from the 28th too so I will join you there x
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the whole country (no idea about the area of the Netherlands in numbers), but it was in reaction to Germany also basically going into lockdown. No relief for the Christmas days in the Netherlands though...

Sad to read the lockdown in Wales, and now also the whole new UK strain, Helen... I'm really counting down to the end of the lockdown, not sure if I can handle a prolongation but we'll see by then what needs to happen. I have my Christmas break for 2 weeks now, and we got a nice 1000 piece puzzle. Let's see how long that lasts!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it seems the world is on lockdown again. We were given a few hours notice last night that Wales was being locked down at 12:00 midnight. So I’ve had another nice day in the house with many more to follow. We are only allowed to see people on one day, the 25th, but I won’t be doing that. My dear mum is doing a doorstop present drop but my dad is too old so we won’t be able to actually spend any time together. I’m annoyed as they fully locked Wales down in November so people could see each other and now the rules change every day harsher and harsher. But cases are getting higher so what can you do?
Wow I love a good puzzle! 1000 pieces is a great distraction, they usually take me a good few days even when I do a lot of work on them. Plus you get to listen to music or watch tv at the same time.
I finished my art project today so I’m in that weird place between finishing and starting another. I just don’t know what to do with myself. Maybe write a letter, do a few crosswords, clean the house, but I feel kind of lost.
If anyone is looking for some Netflix to entertain them, the Queens Gambit is excellent (three people have contacted me to tell me how alike me and the main character are) and so is The Spy about Israel, great acting.
Recommendations for podcasts: hunting warhead, beyond fear, women and crime.
I read Playing Nice by JP Delaney last week and enjoyed it. Now reading Orangeboy by Patrice Lawrence.
Sorry getting really away from the topic of Jeffs new song... which is still great by the way, I’ve managed to have a few listens now. X