Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

UK Instore Appearances January 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha !
There are quite a lot of killer bsides. For exemple the bsides for the Pavement's terror twilight singles are way better than the actual LP, in my opinion. Roll with the wind, harness your hopes, the purpose and the handgrenade...such great tunes.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat's a good example... the Fall collection of B sides is great too.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good b side. When I was a youth and these things still existed I used to trail round record fairs in the south of England looking for b side bootlegs from all my favourite bands. Happy memories!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess even the idea of a "b side" is a bit crazy today, like when a CD "single" has a "b side"... it's only the physical fact that a piece of flat vinyl happens to have two playable sides that creates the fact of a b-side. And I'm not a big fan of 45s, singles, it's just as much searching through records to find something you want, but even if you find something you're only finding 2 songs! If I'm going to spend time looking through albums for something to buy I'd much rather be looking through full albums, because then if you find something you're at least finding a whole album's worth of songs! The searching takes just as much time either way.
Plus, listening to singles is basically annoying... you can't just put it on and sit back and listen, by the time you sit down it's time to stand up and flip the side!
I can see how the 45 single format is very useful a DJ though... if you're bringing songs to spin for a DJ event it's a lot easier to bring a box of the exact songs/singles you want to play, instead of having to carry whole big heavy records around, just to play one song from each one.
lauragek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh mastered versions of the demos do sound appealing! I have all the message board CDs on my phone but having to adjust the volume for each song gets quite annoying. The quality is very different from "real" recordings anyway but I think it'd be a lot easier to listen to already if the volume was evened out!
paulofromthebloc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Rough Trade and Kingston instores too Smile they were both brilliant in different ways. The Mike Rechner set was amazing! Sadly no recordings have emerged so I suspect that was a one-off lost forever. As well as hearing loads of songs at Kingston that I haven't heard before, I learned the meaning of 'alternate side double parking'!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I had recorded that Mike Rechner cover set at Rough Trade East. But at least I had recorded the actual Mike Rechner 1999 set that I was covering so that's the important bit! : D