Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

UK Instore Appearances January 2020
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: UK Instore Appearances January 2020 Reply with quote

Roughtrade East / London / Tuesday 14th January 2020

A solo in-store appearance that was very different to a standard gig. You had to purchase the new LP for entry so I now have another copy.

It began with a Tristram Shandy like overview by Jeff of all the things that could happen including a set of unreleased songs(!) and a presentation about Watchmen.

Jeff decided to begin by projecting two comics (with background sound effects):

1. Preview of Fluff 12 featuring characters from earlier editions and others interacting with God.

2. A Frankenstein inspired comic for the Halloween edition of a certain publication.

He then decided to recreate a 30min Mike Rechner set he had recorded at an Anti-folk night c20years ago. This set had a profound impact on his songwriting - the use of a distortion pedal with an acoustic guitar for instance. All the songs had similar cords and it was loud and intense experience. Afterwards Jeff analysed the lyrics.

Maybe the best place to learn more about Mike is from this scan of a zine that a friend found that contains a review Jeff wrote of one of his albums. It's on page 16 http://www.cinemavii.com/RearWindows/antimatters/199903antimatters.pdf

This was followed by Jeff playing three requests from the audience:

East river
Life
Time Trades

There was also some Q&A between the songs about why he updates his age in songs and the inspiration for the Crass covers LP (an old college room mate was a fan and then years later he wanted to play the songs without the noise so more people could see why the songs were so beautiful)

Jeff is doing another instore in Kingston Upon Thames (a town on the edge of London) tomorrow and promised a different set so I will try and report back what happens there too.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that was well worth it, I’m glad you had a good time! Wish there was one I could get to x
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that Jeff said the inspiration for playing the Mike Rechner set was to answer the question about what was behind the new track ‘Exactly What Nobody Wanted’
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banquet Records / Kingston (close to London) / Friday 17/01/2020

Tonight Jeff played a set of unreleased songs punctuated with requests at a small record shop around 30mins from central London by train.

No titles were announced so those of new songs (N) are guesses.

1. I could of been... (N)
2. Get the car. Move the car (N) - Catchy song I’ve heard before that is a footnote to ‘Dogs of my neighbourhood’
3. You’re proud that you watch no TV (N) - Loud random sounds and delivered spoken word
4. Life (request)
5. Need a break (N)
6. Happy pills (N) - Lines include “I don’t sleep real sleep” & I don’t love for real”
7. Stonehenge / Balloons (N) - This was a strong track and my favourite of the bunch
8. Bad habits
9. The Chelsea Hotel oral sex song (request)
10. Addicted to nuts (N) - Parody song based on Robert Palmer’s ’Addicted to Love’
11. All I want to do is eat (N)
12. Going Postal (N) -Parody song based on The Who song ‘Going Mobile’
13. Punk is Dead (request) - Crass cover
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked that Stonehenge track, it's on a compilation somewhere out there in the world but I forget which one.
Get the Car/Move the Car is, I think, on the "Did Not Choose the Tracks" compilation of home recordings that PIAPTK Records released a couple years ago.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize that the advance-preview pencils slideshow at Rough Trade was so hard to see, i should have made a slideshow out of the finished inked panels! I started working on a new version of the slideshow (inked) while on the train to Brighton but i didn't have time to finish it and I never did show it.
Other stuff I showed on the tour of in-stores was like:
the story of Woody Guthrie
the illustrated videos I made for Dr Dog and Milow and other such stuff
also various other unreleased songs.
I tried showing a slideshow of how i made the Silver Jews poster art but I don't think it came out very good. Needs work!
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the stonehenge track. It’s on this digital compilation

https://mountseldomrecords.bandcamp.com/track/stonehenge
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for locating that. When somebody emails me asking for a track for a compilation I tend to just say yes and send a track, paying no attention to what the comp is or where it ends up.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re daddy to so many songs it’s no surprise you can’t keep up Jeff. Maybe as a community we could put together a bit of a list of where to find these things and post them on here x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a thread somewhere with a list of the compilations where some random tracks could be found? I'm hoping to put together some kind of collected release of these "leftover" songs, I've been getting a bunch of them mastered by my friend Brian Speaker. It's too much material, but at least I'm getting it all sonically evened-out so it can be listened to, and I'm gathering it in one place in my iTunes library rather than leaving it all scattered.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well done someone who already organised the thread! Now we just need to track it down... It sounds like getting song-organised is a good thing to do if possible, in reality there could be more old discovered songs that keep being discovered in the future.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I've now got 86 unreleased home-recorded songs that I've gotten mastered recently by Brian Speaker, it's easily enough for a 4-CD set! Some of these recordings were on the Message Board CD that I sent to many of you guys a couple years ago, the CD that had "Pulling Teeth", I forget what other ones were on there. These 86 tracks that I'm now mastering and compiling are mostly from 2014-onwards, although there area few older ones that I've found in my iTunes that were never used for anything. Then there's a lot more stuff, if I was trying to compile unused songs and home-recordings from earlier years, but really this is all stuff that's unreleased for a reason, because the songs aren't my best. Still sometimes I do think it's cool and interesting to hear this sort of mish-mash of rejected stuff.
My favorite Sebadoh album is the lo-fi home recorded 2-CD set of "The Freed Man" and other stuff... and the lo-fi home-recorded solo stuff on "Days in the Wake" is maybe the best Palace album? Always something so nice about the sound of home recordings. Studio "nice" recordings kind of all sound the same, so much of the time.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will never sell like the proper albums but us geeks would like it! Always happy to find a new way to hand over my money in exchange for musical joy. I too find a home recording quite enjoyable and raw, I’m looking forward to hearing it all x
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite curious about these 86 songs. home recording are my favorite.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought one kind of funny idea would be to release this stuff and call it "a collection of B-Sides" the way bands sometimes put out a collection of B-Sides. Because then it would be like saying "these are all the lesser songs, which correspond to 86 A-Sides which are the better ones..." but of course it's not like those "better" 86 songs actually exist.