Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

13 Fall Songs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: 13 Fall Songs Reply with quote

You guys hip to this?
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to hear this. I hope kurious Oranj will be on it, i think they covered it live.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like it says on the cover it's just "live and lo-fi and lacking rehearsal"... just some room-recordings of Fall covers that we did on our most recent UK tour this past April, some came out better than others, not a real "official" release, just a fun home-made tribute, I'll probably just sell them off my website and at gigs until I run out of them. Some of it isn't even so listenable I think... but hopefully it'll at least be sorta fun or interesting to a few fans. It was just a challenge, to see if I could get my band to cover a different Fall song each night of the tour, we started each gig with a different Fall cover, the audiences didn't know what was going on, but in some of the recordings you can hear the reactions of people in the room. The little recording device was usually on the merchandise table in the back of each room, so you sort of hear the performances coming through a veil of audience chatter/ambience. Some are Fall songs I've covered in the past, others not. I didn't do Cruiser's Creek or Kurious Oranj, partially because I think there's already recordings of me doing those floating around elsewhere.
dazmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! When is it released?

When are you next touring the UK? Feels like ages since you were last here...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's been kind of forever, compared to how often I was touring in previous years, and it's also been too long since I did a Europe tour that included certain important areas like Berlin, and it's also been a long time since I did a regular cross-country USA tour with my band... The reason I keep delaying these things is because I really was hoping I could get my band's new proper album released, and then do a bunch of touring with the new album out! We recorded the album in the first week of March 2018, but everything just takes such a long time to move forward... I haven't even heard back from Rough Trade yet if they want to put it out. Even if the label says yes, or some other label says yes, it will still take months before an actual release date... Plus I haven't even finished the album art, there is a lot more work to do on the art and design stuff. So, meanwhile, I'm just delaying booking regular tour stuff. Still, we've kept very busy with touring, doing USA east coast stuff plus European stuff in Italy and Spain and south-France, plus now this 6-week USA tour opening for Hobo Johnson. It's so much touring that I haven't had much time to work on the album art! But it also is not our normal sort of gigs, we have not done a regular tour of UK, Ireland, Europe, USA, in a while. I don't really know what to do about this. If I do a regular tour, then the album comes out a couple months later, it will be too soon to return for an album-release tour, it would be messed-up timing. But the longer the album-release is delayed, the harder it is for me to wait and wait to book tour stuff! I usually need to start planning tours at least 4 months in advance. Right now I should be booking some tour stuff for February or March. But I'm paralyzed until I know what's happening with the album and label stuff!
Also, I've been working on these two new albums with Peter Stampfel, one of the albums has been finished for a while, essentially, and the other one with Peter is pretty close to being finished. I don't know when/how/where those will be released, or how that might relate to any tour plans.
In the old days I never worried about any of this stuff, I just toured totally randomly and put out recordings randomly! I don't know why it seems important now to plan things with more purposeful timing. Maybe it really doesn't matter very much. But the promoters often think it matters; clubs in Europe for example sometimes don't want to book me unless they know there's a new album out.
Anyway, I really miss going to all these places!
So whenever you see me playing again I will hopefully have:
The "13 Fall Songs" CD...
The 3rd Stampfel/Lewis album...
The 4th Stampfel/Lewis album...
The new Fuff #12 issue...
The new Jeffrey Lewis & Los Bolts album...
and maybe even an official release of my Watchmen book.
Too much stuff... One release per year should be fine, instead of nothing for three years then like 5 things in one year! What a predicament.
dazmann

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff - it's good to hear you've been busy, and there's something to look forward to next year.
Perhaps you could consider doing some solo tour dates in the meantime?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, solo stuff, but I really prefer playing with the band... more fun to perform, more songs I can pick from each night, and plus makes things easier to share setting up the merch table and share the driving etc! But I think it's been a long long time since I did a solo England tour. I did a solo tour in Ireland a few months ago, and a solo tour in Scotland last year.
Hairdresser On Fire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the CD, Jeff. Really enjoying this and a nice surprise arriving just before Christmas. Love the song choices. It's reminded me of a couple I haven't listened to for a while too (must dig out "Country on the click" again...)
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my top-favorite Fall albums actually!
My favorites are probably:
Dragnet
Perverted By Language
Extricate
Country on the Click/Real New Fall LP
I sort of like that this selection is one from each decade! But those really are my top favorites, I think! But I love 'em all, really...
HotCars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my copy of 13 Fall Songs from Rough Trade. Whats the reasoning behind the lack of song titles? Is there a copyright issue? To be honest Im looking forward to trying to identify the songs. I was going to post the Fall songs I saw you perform at the gigs I attended on that tour but dont want to spoil the fun.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to post the track titles because I think that removes some of the fun of the album. Without the element of surprise, it doesn't have ALL that much going for it...
HotCars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to disagree there . Received the CD on Saturday and haven't stopped playing it. Sounds ragged but right - just the way I like it. A great memento of a versatile band on tour in the dark days post-MES. When me and me mates turned up at the gig we were wondering if there would be any tributes to The Fall. Starting each set with one was a great idea. I loved the two covers you played at the shows I saw so it's great to be able to hear the full list.
Yeah, and I agree about 'the element of surprise'. I was having a drink and blasting out the CD and when the drumming started on Track 7 (Liverpool) and I almost choked on my cider. Love it!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, that's so great, the exact reaction I would hope for at best!! Thank you!!
dazmann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this available in the UK yet? Was it ever released in the UK?

I kept looking at the Rough Trade site and the release date kept slipping back, now it just says unavailable.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll have to look into this...
Yeah the Rough Trade site seems to now list this CD only as a "notify me" thing, like, they'll notify you when it's back in stock. So I just sent them an email asking if they want me to send them any more.
The Rough Trade shop in Brooklyn seems to have a special shipping deal with the London shop, if I deliver CDs to the Brooklyn store they can pass them along to the UK store without incurring the same kind of high shipping fees that might otherwise apply. I'd certainly be happy if they order more from me, and it makes it a lot easier on the UK/Europe buyers to be able to get the CD from the London Rough Trade shop, instead of paying high shipping rates to order overseas from me personally.
It's just the same batch of 1,000 CDs that I manufactured, Rough Trade had ordered 100 from me initially, so maybe if they have really sold all 100 of them they might order another 100 from me? I don't know how many I have left, but I'm sure I have enough to last me the rest of the year at least.
No plans to re-press them, it's better as just a one-off thing.