Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Rip Mark E Smith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Rip Mark E Smith Reply with quote

Another of the great ones gone.
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw The Fall once, and its something I'll never forget. I heard their most recent album just last week - his slurriest(?) vocals yet Wink
In the UK we have an honours systems, but someone like MES would never get bestowed an honour (and would probably never agree to receive one), but his unswerving dedication seems worthy of official recognition. I suppose, those in the know, know his worth.
Still, at least we have the music. I'm off to listen to Hex Enduction Hour.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British tv programme The Wright Stuff did a tender section on him and his achievements, he was a regular viewer. Young to go these days, probably underrated and yet an amazing career.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to see how it has been treated as important news in the UK, but obviously not so much in the USA. But he was a major artist of our times. There was a pretty good big New York Times obituary. But I don't think any American publications will mention MES on their front page. I suspect MES might get mentioned on the front page of some UK publications.
Always a difficult artist to explain to people... For some reason my father always seemed to like him! When I would be listening to the Fall my dad would usually notice and say "is that Mark E?" Of course my dad would usually hate any music like that. But I think he thought Mark's self-confidence was striking, the obvious arrogance in his vocals was amusing. It made my father curious. For Christmas just this last month I gave my father a copy of Mark's "Renegade" autobiography, I thought he might enjoy it! And he did, though he got bored of all the ranting (because it was in reference to musicians and other people that my dad wouldn't recognize) and put it down for a couple weeks before picking it up and finally finishing it.
niallo11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Moth Club yesterday Reply with quote

Hello Jeffrey

I caught your matinee act yesterday at The Moth Club. Quickly worked out that the opener was Way Round off The Fall's The Unutterable. I've seen you use Kurious Oranj & Cruiser's Creek in the past. Some fella on The Fall forum reckons he spoke with you earlier in your tour and that you'd said you were doing a different song each concert. Good for you, you've got a lot to aim at!

Mark Smith was inspirational, irascible and frequently a major disappointment, but a complete one-off.

Great concert on Saturday, by the way. You & the band are real troupers. Natty idea to use Spotify as the song selecter - 'though I can't believe Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror didn't make the cut!

Best wishes.