$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Tribute Concert to Antonia Stampfel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Tribute Concert to Antonia Stampfel Reply with quote

Hi Jeff - I understand you performed at the Antonia Stampfel tribute concert back in November 2017. How did the evening go? Who performed?
Antonia co-wrote, with Peter, many of the songs performed by the Holy Modal Rounders.
As its a tribute concert, I presume Antonia passed away recently? I wasn't aware, and Googling for info, didn't turn up any info. Do you have any details?
I recall seeing some footage about her (perhaps on Youtube, or maybe it was the Bound to Lose film?) and she seemed a unique personality especially her unconventional lifestyle and views on sex-and-drugs.
There's a book about her "BEAR SUIT FOLLIES: the Songs, Stories and Letters of Antonia" By John McFadden. I don't know if its a biography or more focussed on her work, but its something I'd like to read. Its a print-on-demand book, so not likely to go-out-of-print, but also something you're unlikely ever to find in a regular bookstore.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna read that book!
The event was cool - I never met her but it was nice to hear some nice stories about her and hear some good music.
My own participation was a bit disappointing to me, I had rehearsed a few songs with Peter Stampfel to play (plus Spencer on mandolin), they sounded really good in rehearsal at Peter's apartment but then on stage at the event they couldn't get a signal out of my guitar in their DI box, so there was a lot of fussing around and delays, and then finally we gave up and I just played my guitar unamplified, but I don't think it sounded very good.
dazmann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff.
I've wondered if the song "His Holy Modal Majesty" from the 1968 "Super Session" album by Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper & Steve Stills is another "tribute", or at least gets its name from the H-M Rounders?
I've seen the song also referred (reefer'd) to as "His Holy Modal Highness" suggesting the title is some kind of drug allusion/joke. The song is co-credited to Al Kooper who is a musician from Brooklyn/New York, who played on many famous Dylan tracks. I'd be surprised if he wasn't aware of the H-M-R band.
One other thing I've noticed is that the opening track from Al Kooper's 1969 debut album (the one with the Statue of Liberty cover) is the only song I can think of that seems to have been directly influenced by the Beatles Revolution 9.... very much of its time.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting, I've never heard those tracks tho I'm familiar with those album covers. Usually see those very cheap in used vinyl bins, nobody really wants those old Al Kooper records! Maybe next time I see them cheap I'll check them out.