$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Vinyl Reissues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Vinyl Reissues Reply with quote

Jeff, Just wondered if you plan to keep reissuing your older albums on vinyl through Don Giovanni Records?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
I just had a little meeting/talk with Joe the head of DG records the other day... he's always trying to push me to hurry up and put out the other ones... I definitely would like to do City & Eastern Songs on vinyl for the first time, also I want to do a vinyl re-issue of 12 Crass Songs, it's been out of print a long time... and some other stuff... One major reason why I go pretty slow with this plan is that when we make the LPs we make 1,000 copies, we split the manufacturing cost, and we split the merchandise... in other words, I have to buy 500 LPs everytime we do this... and it takes up a lot of room in my apartment! My apartment is already pretty fully stocked with boxes of all my Fuff issues, all my CDs, different size T-Shirts, shipping supplies, and also all these hundreds of Acid and Cracked (and Bundles) LPs! I feel like i need to sell off a bunch more of the other LPs before I have room to take home 500 copies of another album on vinyl...
Hopefully I'll do one this year though.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your parents have a bigger house than you and would willingly take a few boxes?! Or a local friend? Other than that it's going to have to be more tours and try and shift stuff! Upgrade to a bigger place and have a spare room for storage? Get a loft? I don't know! I'm sure I must be housing quite a lot of old stock here, no wonder I am planning on putting the house on the market next spring... (I'm getting another bedroom so I can have a library with a bureau and expensive pens and bespoke shelves full of joy... it's about the only dream I've ever had for my future all my life)
x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ideas for your new place sound great! A library space/room like that would be so cool to have. Well I guess I could sort of do that if I organized my place differently... I do need more shelves, in general!
Anyway regarding the other stuff, I've almost considered getting a local storage room as a little "merchandise warehouse" but I balk a little at the extra monthly expense. One of the biggest problems, I think, is that it's hard to CARRY vinyl to gigs and on tour, so even if people wanted to buy them faster I'd have a hard time figuring out how to carry them. I can only fit about 30 LPs in a mailing box, and that 30 LP box is pretty heavy to be carrying around - the weight vs the amount of profit just doesn't make as much sense on a tour as CDs, or even comic books I think. In other words, I think of it like this - I can only carry about 50 pounds of stuff in a luggage bag, and when traveling I basically bring my guitar plus one luggage bag. So I have to decide how to use that 50 pounds... if I make, say, $5 profit per every pound of LPs that I carry, but I can make $10 profit per every pound of CDs that I carry, or comic books, it just doesn't make sense to carry more vinyl... it weighs too much!
I'm just making up these figures, but that's the general picture. I do ship boxes of stuff ahead of time before I go out on a tour, but even then the weight adds up to make vinyl less appealing. Because when I spend $150 to ship a box of comic books, that's maybe 150 comic books in the box, so it only adds about $1 each to the comic books, but when I spend $150 to ship a box of vinyl it might only be 30 LPs in the box, which has the same weight as a box of 150 comics, so each LP has 5 whole dollars tacked on to the expense of it... And as I discovered on a recent UK tour, the public just isn't as interested in buying something THAT expensive, they sell better when the price is a little less. So it's tough to figure out! i DO bring SOME vinyl on almost every tour now, but it's not like the comic books, where I can move them relatively fast out of my house. Usually when i print a new comic book I've already moved at least as many out of my apartment since the last one I printed, so there's usually always room for more, but with the vinyls it takes a lot longer to move out enough to make room for a whole new batch.
I mean, I'm not worried about it, it seems to be working fine as it currently is, I sell enough and it all makes sense to do, and enough people are still interested in buying them, it doesn't seem like I need to drastically change what I'm doing, the only bad thing is that I gotta go slow when printing more vinyl!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, that makes sense, it sounds like you are rational and logical, and walking a fine line between giving the punters what they want and doing the business side of things. It looks like the most cost effective thing would be to find someone with a fair sized emptyish house and ask them to care for some things, but then what if they disappear or you fall out or something. So I think you're probably doing it right.
Do the library, we can compare pictures! It is amazing to have a creative space, I'm thinking a varnished oak bureau with bottles of ink and luxury stationary, loads of notebooks and all my books arranged together so I can read and use them, and then a big snuggly chair I can curl up in... that's the dream! x