Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeff's other discography / Rachel Lipson - pastures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Jeff's other discography / Rachel Lipson - pastures Reply with quote

I recently heard the Rachel Lipson album "Pastures", it was released in 2005 but recorded a couple of years earlier. The reason that I mention it here is that Jeff co-wrote and performs joint lead-vocals on the song "The Eagle".

Its a very nice album, somewhat similar to Kimya Dawson. It can be purchased very cheaply and its well worth grabbing a copy. Its closer to my (personal) definition of anti-folk. Taking the acoustic elements of folk but the songs are personal reflections on modern-life and urban living.

(I can't stand folk singers who still sing about the non-existent world of fishermen, whaling-boats etc.)

Anyway... it made me realise that there's "another" Jeff Lewis discography - the one that lists his guest appearances on other artists albums and compilations.

For example, Jeff appears with Rachel on a track on the "Wild West Most Wanted" compilation (and there's the Graveyard single too).

There's also an album's worth of Jeff's compilation contributions over on Bandcamp...

I know that Jeff appears on Dufus' "Legend of Walnut" album, singing on the track Birds and I also recall seeing Jeff credited on one of Misty's Big Adventure / Grandmaster Gareth CDs - I can't remember which one.

Does anyone know of other albums/songs featuring Jeff? The more obscure the better...
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff has a song on this Carter Family project, there is a Jack song on it too.

https://cartertributetape.bandcamp.com
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a copy and paste of the Jeff releases I have. Includes a number of various artist albums to which Jeff contributed a song, which seems to be what you're after, I imagine the most obscure release, which I don't have a copy of, is the unreleased album - The Artist Alone Decides What You Will Hear On His E.S.P.

Manhattan Album 12"
It's The Ones Who've Cracked That The Light Shines Through Album 12"
The Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane and other favourites Album 12"
Solid Gold Collection Album 12"
Jeffrey Lewis & The Jrams Album CD
The Bundles Album CD
'Em Are I Album CD
12 Crass Songs Album CD
Tour 2016 "Jeffrey Lewis Loot-Beg Bootleg" Album CD
A Turn In The Dream Songs Album CD
City & Eastern Songs Album CD
City & Eastern TAPES (mastered) Album CD
Come On Board (Mastered) Album CD
It's The Ones Who've Cracked That The Light Shines Through Album CD
Message Board CD Album CD
Musical Conduct Album CD
Songs from Austin Album CD
Tapes From The Crypt Album CD
The Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane and other favourites Album CD
Boxed set EP DVD+2 7”
20 Minute Split Single EP CD
AFNY Collaborations Volume 1 EP CD
Gas Money Tour EP EP CD
No. 2 Girl Single 7"
Graveyard Single 7"
Roll Bus Roll Single 7"
The Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song Single 7"
WWPRD Single 7"
Back When I Was 4 Single CD
The Complete History of New York Punk Single CD

Compilation Albums with Jeff tracks
Call It What You Want. This Is Antifolk Album CD
Abbey Road Now! Album CD
Berlin Songs Volume 3 Album CD
Sidewalk Songs & City Stories: New Urban Folk Album CD
America Salutes The Carter Family Album Tape
GoJohnnyGoGoGo Favourites Vol 1 Album CD
Art Star Sounds Compilation Album CD
Berlin Songs Vol. 2 Album CD
The Wild West Most Wanted Album CD
A Tribute To THE Fall- Perverted By Mark E Album CD x2
Still Unravished: A Tribute To The June Brides Album CD
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an insanely comprehensive collection!
I've never kept track of the compilations that I've donated tracks to, there's ones like "Track the Mammot" and a Jason Molina tribute album, what else can I think of... There's definitely a number of compilation albums that have asked me for tracks and I send them un-used recordings and demos and stuff, so there's a number of those compilations out there in the world with some otherwise-unreleased songs. But as usual they're not songs that I think are good enough to put out elsewhere, so i don't think there's anything too exciting on all those weird little comps out there somewhere in the world.
Do you actually have CD copies of those CDs you have listed?? The Guitar Situations Musical Conduct CD has been out of print a long long time...
Which reminds me, in addition to the "Artist Alone Decides What You Will Hear on His E.S.P." CD for the message board, there was another message board CD which was essentially the "lost" 2nd Guitar Situations album...
I wonder if the "Mofo" recording sessions double-CD ever became public, that was an album made in Paris in 2003 with collaborative songs co-written by Herman Dune, Lisa Li-Lund, Wave Pictures, Toby Goodshank, and others, I think I have one song on there that's me plus Wave Pix and another song on there that's me plus Toby Goodshank, I forget what else was on that album.
There's a song called "Birds" or something like that, which is me plus Seth Faergolzia and Spencer Chakedis, it's on one of Seth's albums, I forget which... maybe "Legend of Walnut"?
Oh yeah, also a couple of those Mojo Magazine covers compilation CDs... I know I did a Beatles track for one, and a Beach Boys track for another one...
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, Yes I have all those releases on cd, vinyl and tape. I guess that's what comes from discovering your music c.15 years ago and having completest tendencies!

I received the last two message board giveaways so have that extra Guitar Situations album you mention. Also seem to have the Beach Boys Mojo CD and a whole host more - I tried to document my collection a while ago but skipped some of the V/A releases so this was a good excuse to go through them! I've set the ones I have below to help others looking for the rarer tracks.

I'm missing The Artist Alone Decides What He Will Hear On His ESP as well as Track The Mammoth and the two releases mentioned by Dazman in the first post - 'Birds' Legend of Walnut (Dufus) and "The Eagle' Pastures (Rachel Lipson). These latter ones seem to be avaiable so will check them out.

'Octopus's Garden' Abbey Road Now (Mojo] (CD)

'Chewing Gum' America Slautes the Carter Family (Tape)

'Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror (Alt. Version)' Art Sounds Star Compliation (CD)

'The Complete History Of Communism (Parts I & II)' Berlin Songs Vol.2 (CD)

'I Miss Herman Dune With Both Brothers In The Band' Berlin Songs Vo.3 (CD)

'So Long (I'm Gonna Go Draw All Alone In My Shack)' Call It Want You Want This Is Antifolk (CD)

'The Development Of Punk On The Lower East Side' & 'A Detective Story' Fluff Issue 1 (CD)

'Tell It To Your Heart' [Lou Reed Cover] Cross-Pollination: The Mixtape Vol.1 (Download)

'Assassination On Xmas Eve' Get Thee Behind Me Santa! (CD)

'The Adventures of God As A Young Boy' & 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' GoJohnnyGoGoGo Favourites Vol. 1(CD)

'I Spent The Night In The Wax Museum' Grow Up Move Out: A Fayettenam Records Compilation (Download)

'Reaching (unreleased demo)' Indietracks 2011 (Download)

'I'm Waiting For The Day' Mojo Presents Pet Sounds Revisted (CD)

'No. 2 Girl' No 2. Girl (CD) [single]

'Another Inch Of Rainfall' PEACE (Download) - Can't find any trace of what this release was

'Everyone's Honest' & 'Klutter [with Kimya Dawson]' Sidewalk Songs & City Stories: New Urban Folk (CD)

'Waiting For A Change' Still Unvarnished: A Tribute To The June Brides (CD)

'Part Time Punks' Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before [Roughtrade Records] (CD)

'See America Right' Tallahassee Turns Ten (CD & Download) - Ordered the CD not sure if it arrived!

'The Story of the Fall' A Tribute To The Fall - Perverted by Mark E Smith (CD)

'Farewell Transmission' Weary Engine Blues (CD & Download) - I only have the download

'Lonesome Lullaby' The Wild West Most Wanted (CD)

'The Upside Down Cross' & 'Systematic Death' 20 minute Split Single with Professor Louie (CD)

Wonder how many more tracks are out there waiting to be re(discovered)?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about a bunch of that stuff -
I usually don't keep track of a lot of these things because it can happen so quickly, somebody emails me and asks for a track for some compilation, I say yes and email them back some recording that I haven't used for anything, and then that's the end of it, I have no idea if the compilation ever comes out, or if there's a CD or a download or if anybody ever hears it... I don't really care usually, but then it's strange to realize that there's songs and recordings out there that I don't even remember , or don't remember putting out!
But again, I really don't think there's any big missing gems, I usually feel like I have to write a lot of songs before I have any that I think are good, so basically the better stuff is the more findable stuff and the stuff on weird lost compilations that nobody has heard is just not very good.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a song called polar bear from the myspace days, was supposed to be part of a soon to be released project with Lisa Li Lund, i think i got the song on an hard drive somewhere...
Any chance of having this project available someday Jeff?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder - there's at least three songs from a little collaboration CD that I made with Lisa Li-Lund around 2007, I don't know what became of that or where they are, I only seem to have one of the songs in my iTunes library. I should try to find and import my CDR of those songs before it disintegrates... I forget if it was 3 songs or 4.
I did a cover of "Salvadore Dali's Garden Party" for a Television Personalities tribute album project in 2015, I wonder what ever happened to that one.
I recently gave an unused track "Dictator for Hire" to a benefit compilation.
I gave a track called "Ultimate Treasure" to a compilation a couple years ago, it was an early solo acoustic version of the song that turned into full-band "Painted into a Corner" on the Jrams album that I put out in 2014.
Actually there's an even early version of that song, with Jack and Dave, from the final Daytrotter live session that we did together (which also includes us covering the Suicidal Tendencies "Institutionalized"), that would have been around November 2011. We really didn't know how to play the "Painted into a Corner/Ultimate Treasure" song at all, it was just a few words and chords, Jack came up with some great bass melodies that I eventually used as a more central riff for the song in the version on the Jrams album. But anyway I think that Daytrotter session should be findable somewhere online, maybe there were one or two other songs that we played on it but those would have been just songs from albums that are findable elsewhere.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I wrote or co-wrote about 5 songs on "The Hoodoo Bash" CD that Red Newt Records put out in 2015, that's the album that they call "Have Moicy 2" though personally I wouldn't entirely dignify it with that title... that's the CD of 15 songs that eventually emerged from the one-week recording session in Portland Oregon in 2011 that I participated in with Peter Stampfel, Baby Gramps and a bunch of other folks, sort of just a mob of people sitting in a big circle around a couple of microphones trying to write and/or record as many songs as possible.
The result is mostly a case of quantity over quality, in my opinion, but that "Have Moicy 2" CD has the earliest acoustic string-band arrangements of "Nonsense" and "It's No Good" that I later did different electric versions of on my 2014 Jrams album, and also three other songs that I had a pretty big hand in writing/singing/playing.
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great replies. There's some interesting obscurities to search out...

I heard the "The Hoodoo Bash" album - there's some good tracks there. I wasn't so keen on the Baby Gramps song though. Perhaps you had to be there to get it...

There's a free alternative (legal!) source of albums some of you might not be aware of. I've managed to download some good obscurities. Its called Freegal - its a digital music service offered by some public libraries. Its available in the UK and the US - possibly elsewhere too. I'm pretty lucky as libraries in several counties near where I live have subscriptions. You just need to register online and download the tracks to your PC.

Basically it entitles you to up-to 5 free tracks per week and 3 hrs free-streaming. I signed-up everyone in my house in order to get more Wink

I like it because its legal, and it gives you the opportunity to be more adventurous with your listening without hitting-your-wallet...its also been good for filling-in gaps in my collection (like the final CAN album that's missing from their official discography).

I got the Hoodoo Bash and some rare Stampfel albums (eg. Worm-All Stars) via Freegal. There's millions of albums available. I might start working my way through the Michael Hurley back catalog next.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, what's that lost Can album that you mention?
I'm not a big fan of the later-period Can albums that I've got... Saw Delight, Flow Motion, there's another one I've got, what's it called, something about Animal or Planet or something. There's a track or two on each of them that's at least pretty good, but mostly those albums don't really knock me out like Ege Bamyasi, Monster Movie, Delay 1968, Soundtracks, those are the killers for me! And of course I also love some of the tracks on Tago Mago but overall I think it has some boring stuff on it too, so I don't like it as a full album as much as the others. But I know there are some Can albums I've never heard, and various side-projects.
dazman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff - its one called "Out of Reach".

I don't know how "lost" is really was or just something the band want to quietly forget.

When the band re-released their catalog on CD it was omitted and the band apparently have disowned it.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/1270-out-of-reach/

The situation reminds me of the 2 albums that The Doors recorded after Jim Morrison died. They weren't re-released for ages and to be honest are best forgotten...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the Velvet Underground "Squeeze" album after Lou Reed left the band!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the SPLC benefit comp that has another unreleased track of mine on it:

https://audioantihero.bandcamp.com/album/audio-antihero-presents-unpresidented-jams-for-splc-nilc
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff also makes an extremely brief appearance on the track "Sexy Anarchist Boy" by Cheese On Bread on their 2007 album The Search for Colonel Mustard. The band are part of the NY AntiFolk scene.

https://cheeseonbread.bandcamp.com/album/the-search-for-colonel-mustard

His vocal is just about audible near the beginning and probably reappears towards the end when the band join-in with the backing vocals.

I also noticed Jeff's name in the credits of Adam Green's Aladdin movie (albeit incorrectly spelt...)