message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Jeff's other discography / Rachel Lipson - pastures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha totally forgot about that... I'm also doing some vocals on a couple Misty's Big Adventure tracks on their album "Funny Times", on the tracks "Sitting On Your Doorstep" and "How Did You Manage To Get Inside My Head?", nothing major... I did a spoken word middle-section on a track by the British band Don't Move, I think it was called Ivory Tower. I don't know if it ever came out. Similarly I did a spoken word/rap thing in the middle section of a recording by a pop/hip hop/modern artist called Mapei in 2008 or 2009 but I don't think it was ever used. It was a strange situation, I was told this person was a fan and I was asked to write and record something for a track she was working on. I wrote and prepared a piece, on top of this weird bit of music they had sent me, I went to their studio in downtown NYC and they recorded me doing it, but they seemed too happy with it too fast, like after one or two takes they were like, "that's great, thanks, good bye", which seemed to me like it meant they totally hated it and just wanted to get me out of there, and I never heard from them again! It would have been an unusual collaboration.
dazmann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new JL track called Stonehenge on a compilation album called "Mount Seldom Halloween: You're Sad but Still at the Party". Its was released on 31st Oct 2018.

https://mountseldomrecords.bandcamp.com/track/stonehenge

Its a rather good song - the lyrics are somewhat surreal, but the references to cartoons and counter-culture are classic JL.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no memory of that compilation but I do like the song. I usually don't release many of the "surreal" songs, but "Avenue A, Shanghai, Hollywood" is one of those types of songs (but I had the bass player sing it on the album).
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicBrainz lists another Digital release - its a recording from a 2009 Radio Phone-in show. (Nadav Carmel, KDVS 02/06/2009)

6 songs are performed :

What We Sing About When We Sing About 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love' [Inspired by the Raymond Carver short story]
I've Been Everywhere
Spider Song
What To Do
How Can It Be
Civilization Song

Some of the song(s) subsequently turned up on later releases e.g.. I've Been Everywhere, but some are new to me and rather nice.

It can be downloaded here : http://www.phoningitin.net/shows/385-Jeffrey-Lewis

The sound quality is pretty good considering the circumstances - it gives the recording a quality similar to a 1920's Blues recording. Something Neil Young tried to achieve on his 2014 "A Letter Home" album, which is also worth listening to.