$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Josh Woodward

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Josh Woodward Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just discovered Josh Woodward. I heard some of his music and got really excited about having found a musician that makes music that sounds like a cross between Josh Ritter and Death Cab for Cutie. Link here: https://www.joshwoodward.com/

Turns out he shares ALL his 200+ songs for free, including instrumental versions, for anyone to use as background music for their videos. Anyone can easily browse his collection on his website, and download every song for free. But if you want to, you can pay for the songs. And he's built up a fanbase this way and so he's also earning money from his music.

I just got really excited about his music and "new" business model (yes I am aware of Bandcamp and the like, but he seems to be really successful in it, with having created such an insane amount of good quality songs), and I was wondering what you guys think about it. Is he successful because he found a niche? Or would this be a way of musicians being able to share their music but also be able to live off it on a large scale? It's very interesting to me!
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP he even wrote down lyrics and chords for all his songs. This guy is so meticulous! Makes me wonder... How much effort is it to write down the chords for a song you wrote yourself? Do people write down their song for themselves not to forget or do you not forget if it's your own song/you have a recording of it? I came to this forum for the tabs (and stuck for the quality discussions), and I wish that I could play all the songs I love. But often there's no good tabs to find and my ears simply don't really do chord recognition... Is it a big favor to ask that musicians share their (correct) chords themselves instead of having the fans trying to figure it out? Or do people here really love having to figure out chords to a song before being able to play it, like it's a game or a puzzle?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out -
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my to-do list hun, thanks for the tip off! I love an artist with lyrics to read, they always mean something different written down like a poem to what is brought to it when they are sung. I am a lyrics girl in general. When I write songs (very, very rarely these days) I have to write down the chords or I forget, I just don't play my guitar enough. Can't play it at all at the moment as my finger has been ripped apart by a fountain pen nib!