message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Greatest Hits
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also raises an interesting point, which is the fact that at a CERTAIN point in an artist's career, EVERY album they release will contain at least ONE or MORE tracks that belong on a "best-of" of that artist... But then at a later point in their career, they may eventually put out an album which contains NO tracks which belong on a "best-of" compilation of that artist... and perhaps from that point onward their albums are less likely to contain tracks that will end up on a "best-of"??
That also makes it especially interesting that the above best-of Herman Dune does NOT include stuff from their first album. That's pretty rare and weird for an artist. It's probably a good sign for a long-term artist if their first album is not their "classic" album. It shows an artist that grows and gets better and better! I think Yo La Tengo and Smog are both artists whose "best of" lists would probably not include tracks from their first albums.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what do you do if you have a single song that catapults you to major fame, only to grow to hate it, it may be the worst song in the artists opinion, so do you leave it out and say 'these are my best bits' or do you say 'well, these sold well as singles so they're what the fans like best'? Or do you kind of put all your songs in a hat and pick them at random?! Lots of greatest hits compilations are more like 'these are our singles' compilations, I don't know if that's wrong or right really...
x
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:

That also makes it especially interesting that the above best-of Herman Dune does NOT include stuff from their first album.

to be pernickety, I did include a song from their first album- just nothing from their second. I don't think it's that unusual in greatest hits collections. Often an artist hits the ground running with their first album, sometimes it takes them a while. One of the most famous greatest hits album, Queen's, doesn't have anything from the first album. The first UK Rolling Stones album wasn't loaded with hits either.

I think what you're talking about more generally is the normal gradient of a career, where popularity and sales ebb and flow (but mostly ebb). I feel it's usually beyond the artist's power to do much about it. All they can do is keep making stellar amazing albums like "Manhattan" and hope people notice.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what my Jeff greatest hits record would be like :
It'd be called : You Haven't heard half of it (or maybe you did)
01.Heavy Heart
02 Lost Austin lament
03 Seattle
04.Rainy ghost
05 Graveyard
06 Complete history of Jeff sexual conquests
07 Krongu Green Slime
08 A lonesome lullaby
09 You don't have to be a scientist
10 Chicago
11 Back when i was four
12 Flood
13 Scowling crackhead Ian
14 Sex Therapist
15 Don't be upset
16 Mystic CT
17 Support tour
18 Beach Party
19 Gravity Sue
20 The river

The cover would be a drawing by Jeff of himself making a jiggsaw puzzle representing an Lp, each piece he had put down is making a jiggsaw puzzle piece shape missing on him, like on his chest and his head, heart and brain.
Don't know if that make sense.