FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

What comic are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff i've seen on facebook that you read "l'arabe du futur", did you like it?
I really love all that Riad Sattouf did, i've read the three volumes of l'arabe du futur and it's really fun and instructive.
Plus somepart of it take place in my home town, and that doesn't happen a lot as it's a small place.
I've seen an old interview the other day of a french comic arstist explaining that he wanted his editor to publish that comic from a new artist, it was l'arabe du futur, but he they wouldn't as the father said bad stuff about jews, it was two decades ago.

I don't know what comics of his has been translated but i read Pascal Brutal every couple of years or so and it's so funny. Riad Sattouf published a lot of things in Fluide Glacial, a french monthly comic magazine, i discovered some really cool artists while reading these when i was younger.

Anyway, l'arabe du futur is really great!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of Riad Sattouf before, and when Jack showed me the book I wasn't very interested at first, because it seems like so many people are doing memoir comic books like that, after the success of Maus and Palestine and Perseopolis and other comics about Israel and the Middle East, it seemed to me like it would just be an attempt to join that commercial trend. But when I read it I quickly found it to be really great! And usually these things are better in the original, I don't know if the english translation is as good as the original... Anyway I really liked it a ton, and then I had my girlfriend read it and she loved it too. I hope the other volumes are published in english soon, I'll be excited to get my hands on them when I can. I wonder if Riad Sattouf has other work in english that I can check out. I guess there are probably many many good comics in France and other parts of the world that I don't know about (and in America too).
vollsticks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
I had never heard of Riad Sattouf before, and when Jack showed me the book I wasn't very interested at first, because it seems like so many people are doing memoir comic books like that, after the success of Maus and Palestine and Perseopolis and other comics about Israel and the Middle East, it seemed to me like it would just be an attempt to join that commercial trend. But when I read it I quickly found it to be really great! And usually these things are better in the original, I don't know if the english translation is as good as the original... Anyway I really liked it a ton, and then I had my girlfriend read it and she loved it too. I hope the other volumes are published in english soon, I'll be excited to get my hands on them when I can. I wonder if Riad Sattouf has other work in english that I can check out. I guess there are probably many many good comics in France and other parts of the world that I don't know about (and in America too).

Yeah! Great comic, I have both volumes. Also check out Sick by Gabby Schulz, one of the best autobio comics I've ever read.
apilkington

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the X'ed Out Trilogy by Charles Burns, I'll read anything I can get my hands on by him.

Would love some recommendations though as I tend read mostly only Crumb, Clowes, Burns, Piskor, Tomine and Jeff (It's so hard to find new stuff it seems!)

Especially compared to music where you just have to type in "bands like ____" when I type in comic artists you get a bunch of people unrelated to comics or nothing at all.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished the comic "love in vain" by Mezzo and JM dupont. It's obviously about Robert Johnson. The story is great and the art is really incredible.
I've also readYou killed me, a spanish comic by David Sanchez, the artwork was great, kinda Daniel Clowes-ish, the story was really weird but i enjoyed the whole thing.
Finally i've read "Gérard". A french comic book by Mathieu Sapin who made a journal while he followed the french actor Gérard Depardieu for 5 years. I really loke this one. Depardieu is such a bigger than life man.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those great recommendations, that all sounds like cool stuff!!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think very much of X-ed Out when I read the first book, but by the end of the third (final) book I had a much higher opinion of it, the story actually made more sense than it seemed at first. Burns is obviously such a great illustrator but I usually think his writing is not very good, well, it's okay, but it's just not in the same class as the great comic book writers like Clowes.

For Apilkington, if your list of favorite comic book creators is Crumb, Clowes, Burns, Piskor and Tomine then I'd definitely recommend Chester Brown and Joe Matt and Julie Doucet and Joe Sacco, you would certainly love all of their stuff! There was just a big deluxe reissue of the whole Julie Doucet "Dirty Plotte" series, I don't know if it makes sense to buy it as a big deluxe hardcover thing but her work is so great, I wish I had all those original Dirty Plotte comics! (But I am glad I have all the original Eightball and Peepshow and Yummy Fur comics, among others!)