message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

What comic are you reading right now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: What comic are you reading right now? Reply with quote

I've just finished the 1981 Daredevil by Frank Miller.
It was really great, story were quite original for some daredevil stuff and the art was really nice. Too bad they only had that volume at my local library.
I've borrowed Batman's a long haloween today, i've read 50 pages so far and it is quite great, there are some really beautiful panels there and the story is really interesting.
I love Batman since i'm a little boy, it might be my first us comic thrill, before the marvel stuff i also loved.

On the side i'm re reading Watchmen, trying to figure out some more of its deepness.
I remember seeing a Jeffrey video about watchmen explaning thing about triangles and circles in the story, i forgot to watch the whole video back then i can't find it back online. Anyone is aware of that theory?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of it sorry. I haven't read watchmen in about 16 years, I should probably revisit it.
I am not reading any comics at the moment. I am reading a book, just started it today, The Redbreast, some Scandi noir someone gave me this time last year, I thought I should finally get around to reading it.
x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read Shortcomings, the 3-part story from Optic Nerve, very good comic.
I love the old Frank Miller issues of Daredevil, I actually have every single one of the original issues, some are in very bad condition! Maybe I'm missing one of them, Daredevil 169, that's the only one I never had... I wish I had bought it when I was buying the others, because now it's expensive and hard to find!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an unrelated note I was listening to Tom Lehrer today and thinking how much his singing voice sounds like Jeff, so I am off to do some research to see if they have a similar background location or something....
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working through Mile end by Michel Hellman, about the everyday life of a guy who lives in Montreal who should be writing his master thesis instead of drawing
and Carnets de thèse by Tiphaine Rivière, about the everyday life of a girl who lives in Paris and should be writing her doctoral dissertation instead of drawing. It's so realistic it's not even that funny anymore. It's "hahaha *sob*" funny. She actually quit her doctoral program in the end !

Oh and PhdComics although i haven't been following them regularly lately.

And yeah, i should probably be writing instead of reading comics about not writing. Makes me think about the song about how songs about songwriting suck ! Laughing [/i]
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently read
Best of Captain Easy and Wash Tubbs (dailies)
Corto Maltese: The Ballad of the Salt Sea
Sally Heathcote, Suffragette

Currently dipping in and out of
Cursed Pirate Girl vol 1 by Jeremy A Bastian
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely am a fan of Tom Lehrer, grew up listening to that stuff!
Thanks for all the comix recommendations, lots of stuff I haven't heard of!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't discover Lehrer until 18 but have made up for lost time since. I'm glad he's still alive. It must be the Manhattan accent that makes his voice similar I suppose.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the complete Silver Surfer, it was one of my favorite character as a kid and i always like it. So different from other marvel stuff, i really like the philosophical aspect of it.
The surfer reminds me of Dr Manhattan regarding his view of humanity. A great great read.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete Silver Surfer? Like, EVERY Silver Surfer comic EVER?? That's a lot of comics, there were a few different Silver Surfer series, and of course many other appearances. I LOVE the original 3-issue story from Fantastic Four 48-49 or whatever issues that was... very psychedelic, some of the most classic, awesome Stan Lee/Jack Kirby issues of all time, first appearance of the Watcher, the Silver Surfer, Galactus. Also I love the Silver Surfer comic series from the 70s, such great art by John Buscema, and then i also loved the Silver Surfer series the late 80s or 90s, whenever that was, when I was a teenager, with art from Ron Lim I think, I got really into that series for a bit (but I think I probably wouldn't care much about it if I read it again now).
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's six volumes, 200 pages each time, not sure it's the whole thing but it sure is a lot!
So far the first stories were the coolest, the ones you mentionned with the ff a,d galactus but i'm enjoying all of it.
Have you read the one drawned by Moebius? i'm quite curious about it.
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading FUFF because i just got my package with issues 0-11 OMG I'M SO EXCITED !!!

And they are all signed by Jeffrey which is extra cool Smile ! since i already had issues 7 and 11 (got 'em at a concert) i'll be giving those away so someone else can enjoy them Smile

Oh and... there was also an …erm… cat ? hair stuck between 2 issues… Just saying… Laughing

AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sloooowly working through Fuff #0 and greatly enjoying it. I love the whole gum comics concept. I can hardly imagine how cool it must have been to get that kind of a flyer in the mail ! I also love how each project is framed in a sort of a DIY "history of JL's art".

As a long suffering PhD student i live and die for reflexivity and go back and forth between thinking i am super smart and thinking i'm just a loser, and I also love playing with words. Is it any surprise I find Jeff's work brilliant and relatable ? I think not. Jeffrey, i hope people tell you all the time how great you are.

And yes, i am aware this makes me look like a total fangirl. I don't even care Laughing
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm envious of your PhD cleverness! I'd love to do one someday.

I read Tintin and the Cigars of the Pharaohs this week and I liked it but really wasn't feeling it. I think I must be super stupid, I just don't get so much about comics. The best bit was the Goffman style reference to the self fulfilling prophecy but most of it was just a story to me, I don't understand and am now back on the novels.

x
Ian Cockburn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Helen, Tintin is essentially for:
children,
adults who first read them as children,
fans of John Buchan-style adventure,
and comic art connoisseurs. There's some stylish artwork in there.