$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Fell in love with a guitar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauragek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Fell in love with a guitar Reply with quote

Last night I watched Juno with some friends (the soundtrack made me discover Kimya Dawson, and then via her I discovered Jeffrey Lewis), and after it I played some of the soundtracks' songs on a friends guitar. And I fell in love.

I've been wanting to buy a steel snare guitar for a while now, since most songs I play are just strumming and singing and my classical guitar isn't really made for that... Now the guitar is really pretty: http://intl.fender.com/en-NL/acoustics/dreadnought/sonoran-sce-cutaway-electric-lake-placid-blue-with-matching-headstock/ and sounded pretty good that one time I played it...

But in the end of course it's not just the looks to go for in a guitar. How do you guys pick out a guitar? What have you learned is important in a guitar when you're playing songs Jeffrey Lewis style - some strumming, some finger picking... What are some things to look out for?

I'm really excited and hope to be able to fork out the money to get a new guitar soon, but I really want to get the best out of it!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't seen Juno!
From my perspective, you can really get hung-up worrying about whether your gear is good enough... there's always a more expensive guitar, always a nicer amplifier, always some kind of nicer guitar-strings, there are people who spend a lot of money and time on all these things, worrying if they have the right stuff. But really, none of it matters very much. A guitar just needs to function as a guitar... it needs to stay in tune, even if you strum it hard... and it's better if it is in tune all the way up and down the neck. My guitar is pretty messed up in this regard... when I play chords or notes far up the neck, it's not quite in tune with the notes at the other end of the neck.
Anyway, I also think that when a guitar is TOO nice it's scary to use it! You don't want to carry it to places!
I'd say, the best guitar would be something that works (stays in tune), but is not so nice or expensive that you're scared to put it into a luggage rack on a bus, or scared to take it out to the park and play it, or scared to lend it to a friend, etc.
But that's just my own way of thinking about all this stuff! And in fact maybe my way is stupid... I should probably just buy a nice guitar...
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Juno either. It was popular with the wacky kids so I avoided it, don't want to fit in with anyone! I am watching the Great Gatsby tonight though. Does anyone want to buy me a house with turrets? I think I need one. Was everyone in the 1920s thin and beautiful? Where were the poor ugly people?!
I have a guitar that collects dust in the spare bedroom you can have it if you want!
x
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that fender looks really nice. i would agree with Jeff and say that it needs to stay tuned. i got a fender jaguar for a few years and really love it, i like the sound of fenders a lot, it was my dream guitar since i saw robert smith play it when i was a teenager, before that i had random shitty cheapguitars and was happy with it. as an accoustic i got a 150 euros yamaha one, i play everything on it. i wouldńt change cos im so use to it, i sometimes dont like the new strings i put on it, really change the sound and the feel. also as a lefty i dont got a large choice, all i ever owned was right handed played upside down, apart for the jaguar.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, right-handed upside-down, that's tough! I have a friend who plays like that.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write left handed but play guitar right, I don't know if that's how I was taught and just got used to it or what. I play drums left handed though.
christian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Juno a few years ago and I must say despite the hype it is quite a good movie. It was advertised at the time as sort of cute-sy weird comedy but most of the plot is actually quite serious - I was positively surprised!

I have nothing to add to the guitar discussion as I sadly don't play guitar....