Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Fuff # 11, maybe in April?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Fuff # 11, maybe in April? Reply with quote

To answer the question from the other discussion thread, yes I'm working on Fuff #11, I have about 10 pages inked and an additional 6 pages that are just penciled, if I do it as a 24-page issue plus covers, that mean when I finish these 16 pages I'll still have to do another 10 pages of stuff, plus a front and back cover...
But I was really hoping I could get a new issue finished in time to have it printed and ready for the MoCCA comic book fest in NYC on April 2-3, I have a table rented at that, and i'd love to have a new issue to debut there. But that could be too tight a schedule... I'd have to get it to the printer in March, and right now it's basically Feb, and Feb is a very short month, and I have a hell of a lot of work to do! If I can manage to pencil and/or ink a new page every single day, then I might have a chance to do it, but who knows. And if I'm trying to do another 32-page issue, instead of a 24-page issue, then I'd really have an impossible task. Unless I pad the issue out with some older material that's been out of print, or was never printed.
I'll see how it goes! But I think these new pages are coming out really good, I've managed to work on it every single day for about 3 weeks! (That's because I've been writing no songs, and booking no shows!)
mama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a Chris ware comix recently about how he always forgets how long drawing comix takes....too long. I'm almost done with one I'm working on, I'm trying to put out four a year, did four in 2015, 2pages away from finishing my fourth comix of 2016 (most was drawn in 2015, no idea how I was able to draw 8 comics in a year!).

But most importantly, personal deadlines aside for a moment:

It'll take as long as it takes.

I find that a good mantra. My new comic that just came out this month took 4 years!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on your hard work, sounds quite therapeutic actually, nice and peaceful.
I won't hold my breath considering the amount of stuff you still need to do but I will appreciate it the day it comes to light and I can have a look through. x
williamaala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hardwork. I really love your job
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody should check out the great comix of Mama Lips! Is there a website or link to check out the stuff?
mama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!
If you click on the shop here you can buy/see sample pages
www.mamalips.bandcamp.com
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue of Fuff was so cool! I always enjoyed the story my dad tells and it's a great thing to have a volume about it.
The part about Jeffrey's dad meeting his ancester was a real thrill as i also had a kind of similar experience, mostly had a sort of connection with a version of me from the future trying to get into my thoughts but it was unclear, i know it might sound like a mad person writing but it happend to me two time and it was both scary and thrilling.
It made me think about time in a different way that science describe it. I feel it more like a single instant where every era is there and conscioussness made us feel the time as a passing thing, well maybe it's not.
I've started to seek book that were talking about that subject and i found quite a few.
First Alan Moore have this vision of time in some of his work, like Dr manhattan in Watchmen or the police woman in Neocromicon, you can see her like a centipede/human at the end of the story.
Two Sci-fi books blew my mind converning this subject : Siva by Philip K dick and slaughter house five by Kurt Vonnegut.
Siva was kinda hard to follow but is so full of crazy concepts about time and stuff, Slaughter house five is more like a regular novel but with a great concept of space time.
Anyway, just to say that the part about Jeff's dad meeting was really great.
Sometimes a single drawing makes your mind wonder for day and day.
Anyone of you had weird time experiments? like syncronicity and this sort of thing?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought about this "4th dimensional existence" idea in terms of an artist's output... Like, when I play a live gig, if I play an old song, it is not part of me in that moment, but it is part of the 4th dimensional all-time-at-once artists entity of "the Jeffrey Lewis band" or whatever... so my old songs and new songs are part of one artistic lifespan... making one ever-changing shape, I mean that my whole artistic output from all my life makes one over-all shape, so the older work and the newer work are sort of equal in the big picture, and I shouldn't worry as much about what's old and what's new? And it's the same for any artist, the artistic output eventually forms one full 4th dimensional shape that you can't see in each day as a separate instance of artistic output... BUT a live concert is always a chance to combine all of it into a 4th dimensional shape, and try to see the full shape.
Something like that!
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to think further than your own imagination 'if that make sense) and that's what happen to me when thinking about the 4th dimension, i'm sometimes close to figure out something imoprtant about it but it fell bewteen my fingers like sand and i can't find back my train of thoughts that lead me there in the first place.
I've read that Alan Moore's Jerusalem will have a large part about these all-time-as-once concept.

For me it all started with syncronicity, i wasn't aware of the term back then, there were so many times that something happened when i had thought about it a few hours earlier, and i was always saying my wife "i swear i knew this was going to happen", eventually i decided to tell her when i think of something that could happen, a sort of feel, hard to explain. Here is an exemple, a couple of years ago i had this feel i was going to find a 5 euros bill on the floor, i told Ema and the day after i do found a 5 euro bill on the floor, it started to make me wonder about the reason these stuff happens, it was my own type of anxiety attack, meaning i thought about that before falling asleep.

Time is a weird thing, passing differently for each single person, maybe flowers and animals also, how come a cool gig goes by that quickly and i visit at the dentist last 2 days....i haven't found any answers but the subject is still a little obsession for me.

Can't wait for Jerusalem to come out, it will be a blast, 900 pages!!!
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this up at a concert (with #7 that i haven't read yet). I really enjoyed it. I don't know much about comics so my references are quite limited but the unfolding of the caveman sequence reminded me of Marcel Gotlib and his often absurdist Rubrique-à-brac. I'm definitely considering ordering all the other issues !
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i can see some Gotlib there too. i read my old rubriique a brac a couple of month ago, these are so good.
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i love Gotlib, grew up reading Rubrique-à-brac and then discovered Rhaa-lovely as a teenager Embarassed hahaha

i wonder if he was ever translated into english ?

Anyway, i'd forgotten i like comics. I'll go off and read Fuff # 7 now Laughing
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I know this Gotlib stuff?
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a classic french cartoonist who mixed fantasy and the ordinary in often absurd or silly but sometimes almost educational or critical jokes, with a number of running gags and reference to american pop culture. In his Rhaa Lovely series he addressed more "adult" material, like sex and religion (even together, as in Jesus and a bunch of other divine figures having an orgy, pretty racy stuff Shocked ). He was an atheist Jew of eastern european descent, his parents were killed in the Holocaust and his heart was most definitely on the left, even if he wasn't overtly political in his art.

I'm not sure he's ever been translated and i wonder how well he would even translate, considering how typically french a lot of his material is.

Here is a page I scanned from a Rubrique-à-brac i had lying around. It's just silly really, but it also features another great french anti-hero, Gaston Lagaffe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ydjjKhvivWV2FIZEU1WGVNbmc/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by AbiTlkn on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
AbiTlkn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i can pick up a couple at the next yard sale i got to i'll send them to your PO box. Double ended fan mail you could call it Laughing