$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Adam Green's Aladdin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
christian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Adam Green's Aladdin Reply with quote

Adam Green will release his movie adaptation of Aladdin this spring. It is set in a comic universe, most of the sets seem to have been built from papier-maché and painted by hand. It features Macaulay Culkin, Devendra Banhart, Alia Shawkat, Jack Dishel among others. Maybe a Jeffrey Lewis appearance too?

I think he was working on this for a long time and it will also be accompanied by a soundtrack. I am excited to see and hear it. I have missed a few Adam Green albums, but I quite liked his last one with Binki Shapiro. I watched the documentary about him "How to act bad", which I quite liked as well. I haven't watched "The Wrong Ferrari" yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P5TSZDy0F0
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting... I will attempt to check it out x
keithos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the Glasgow gig that includes the movie beforehand. Hard to know what to expect from the trailer but there's a good chance it could be an absolutely terrible film! Looking forward to going anyway
christian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that with Adam Green there is a fine line between great and crap - and it is often difficult to make out the difference. Who mistook the crap for genius? is a line from the Moldy Peaches' Steak for Chicken, and I think that Adam Green has succesfully blurred the line between the two. I think he has also succesfully blurred the line between art and life, between what is his persona and his personality.

Of course with antifolk music there is always a signature blend between what is crude and what is refined. But after his first solo album Adam Green has only produced albums that were musically very clean so to speak, maybe in order to appeal to a larger audience. At the same time, I think his album sales have gone down ever since "Gemstones", as I seem to remember from an interview that I read a few years ago.

Maybe that's partially why he started doing visual arts with movies, paintings and sculptures. I think he has found a niche in the mainstream, where he is sufficiently known for larger media outlets to be interested in him, and to be sort of a "token" weird New York artist. What he does is somewhat original and extraordinary so the media eats it up. The general tenor of the headlines seems to be: "This 3-minute clip featuring Macaulay Culkin is so weird you have to see it!"

The problem is that just because something is original doesn't make it good, and that he is usually very hyped in these outlets. I think that is not necessarily doing him any favors. You can like the Moldy Peaches without thinking they were the greatest band ever. I love their music but I will readily admit that not all of it is great. Some of it is crap, but that is part of the charme.

It just seems that with whatever Adam Green does, the media has completely lost its measure. It was even more pronounced at the start of his solo career in Germany. He even published a book of poetry there, called "Magazine" - mostly agreed to be crap, published by an editor that capitalized on the hype.

All that said I do like him as an artist, and like many of his songs. I'll probably watch the movie too, if I get the chance. I think you just have to brace yourself for the likely possibility that it might be crap.
keithos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts about him too. I don't really know anyone here that is a mega fan of him but I'd imagine I'd be a bit put off by him if I knew people who worship everything he does.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Aladdin at the NYC screening the other night, it was really fun! It's not super long, I think just a little over one hour... he's touring with the film, screening it and then playing a set of music, makes for an interesting multi-media night out.
christian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can watch the full movie on youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2wtqAfQlQ

I'll have to watch it one of these days Smile