$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

New Crickets/Pope Hats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: New Crickets/Pope Hats Reply with quote

Bit late but has anyone read the latest issue of Crickets by Sammy Harkham? It, and the previous issue are without a doubt the best story he's done. "The Blood of the Virgin" is about an Australian transplant living in LA working in the B-movie horror film industry as a writer/director/editor...it intersperses life on set with his home life and the whole little culture built up around the makers of those films. It's full of great little details which just make the story--him editing a film with the film strip draped all over his shoulders; a break in the story at his apartment for a recipe as he cooks dinner...an almost diagrammatic sequence where the special effects guy shows the creation of the "exploding eyeball/melting face" effect "...then we under-crank the camera"...Harkham captures the mid-70's LA independent movie scene with such verisimilitude it makes you wonder if he was there! For anyone who missed number #3 fortunately it's been reprinted; a few months ago the first printing was going for triple figures (I shoulda bought 3 copies....), it was rather stylishly printed on newsprint but #4 has slick cardstock covers and nicer paper for the guts...anyone who likes "slice-of-life" (how I hate that term) comics and cartooning that harkens back to the first bigfoot adventure strips whilst simultaneously looks forward--Harkham draws like a combination of Roy Crane and, almost, John Porcellino (!)--should buy both these comics!

Pope Hats #4 review to come, I need to draw my own comics now....also, anyone read Deforge's Lose #7 yet?