$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

R.I.P Dennis Eichorn! Favourite "Real Stuff" Stori

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: R.I.P Dennis Eichorn! Favourite "Real Stuff" Stori Reply with quote

For those that don't know, Dennis Eichorn, great writer of Real Stuff(autobiographical comics in the mode of a Bukowski, but better, with a similar approach to collaboration as Harvey Pekar--like Pekar Mr. Eichorn wasn't an artist), has died. He collaborated with most of "alternative" comics' leading cartoonists over the nearly 30 issue run of the comic. Last year he released a new, two issue "flipbook" comic of Real Stuff with new collaborators and all new stories. Anyway, didn't see anything about him on the forum, unfortunately the Real Stuff, er, stuff, hasn't been collected, only (to my knowledge) a short arc of Wild Man Fischer stories drawn by the great J.R Williams and put out by Top Shelf. But issues of the comic are readily available online to buy and are certainly worth your time and money. A great writer and a pretty nice guy by all accounts. Thanks for all the great comics Mr. Eichorn, I'm raising a glass to you tonight!

Anyone want to chip in with favourite "Real Stuff" stories? I'll always have a soft spot for the "Hunter S. Thompson talk" issue where Eichorn's mate slags off Tim Leary (who's speaking with Thompson) for being "the biggest narc in the country, in bed with the FBI for YEARS!", brilliantly drawn by Michael Dougan, and the Jim Woodring-drawn "pee on your hands" story from the same issue. IT was my first ever exposure to "alternative comics", way back in '91, and as an 11-year-old Batfanboy came as something of a shock...also the Mary Fleener-illustrated "coke threesome" tale and lets not forget the fantastic "stealing beer from parked cars as a college senior", again drawn by J. R Williams.....so cheers, Denny!!! You folks got any more? Let's hear about Dennis Eichorn comics you loved, hated or just plain LIKED.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better appraisal of Mr. Eichorns work can be found here: http://www.tcj.com/dennis-p-eichhorn-1945-2015-by-tom-van-deusen/
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the info! I did have that one about Wildman Fischer, that's a really good comic, but I don't think I've read his other stuff...
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! I recently got a cool commission from J. R Williams, y'know who drew the Wild Man Fischer stories. Did you ever read his comic "Crap"? It was a great, short-lived series, one of the best alternative "one man anthologies" of the 90's. The main story was about a group of housemates, people compare it to the Seattle Buddy Bradley stuff but I think Williams has a bit more...heart? Sincerity? He's not as snidey as Bagge (but he can do "snidey" just as well!), there's a warmth there that you don't often get in Hate...uh, I suppose that's why it was called "Hate".....

Oh, and Real Stuff was 20 issues, I dunno why I said "nearly 30". Also, according to the TCJ article there ARE a couple of other collections of Real Stuff, they're worth tracking down. Jim Woodring did some GREAT cartooning for the comic, I reckon. And I fucking love me some Jim! To paraphrase Jimmy Carl Black: "Frank's good, but Jim's the real thing!"
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen or heard of the comic "Crap" but it sounds good... I guess all this stuff is out there somewhere... Can you recommend any particular collection, if this material is even collected?
Yeah Jim Woodring is great... I think I have a pretty complete Frank collection but there's probably stuff I don't have.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , Crap is great, you'll be able to pick up all 7 issues with no much bother, especially considering your location, you might not even have t go on line! But there's always JR Williams stuff floating about on E-Bay. About 2-5 dollars an issue seems to be the going rate. Unfortunately Williams has no collections that I know of...he did stuff for Duplex Planet, he has a fair bit in the No More Shaves collection, he also did a series of one-off magazine size comix like Bummer and Damnation and JR Williams' Funhouse (64 pages from Starhead comics!). If you're cool about it I could always send you a coupla Williams' Crap doubles I have? There were 7 issues in all and I have doubles for three, I think, you're welcome to 'em If you want. And I have some Jim volume 2 doubles, too; let me know what you're missing and I'll see if I can help (sorry but there's no WAY I'm parting with my beloved Jim volume 1's!!!), it's no bother! OH wait you said Frank not Jim...only have a few of the Frank floppies but I have all the Tantalizing Tales comics he did with Mark Martin; I just LOVE those Montgomery Wart stories. Anyway Frank was in that book, like the Franks Real Pa and Frank By The River stories...Mark Martin is dope, too, so under-rated. I came to your work as a cartoonist not as a musician so I'm not, like, a rock star stalker or owt Smile You're still a bitchin' son-writer, though, don't get me wrong! Argh that sounds so sycophantic sorry!!!
(I remember seeing you on British TV some years ago talking through one of your "song illustrations", can you remember when/which show it was from? Was it anything to do with Andrew Graham-Dixon? Can't remember, maybe I imagined the whole thing....)

Uhm regarding the Real Stuff...stuff... there was a Last Gasp collection called Real Stuff, not sure how available it is a.t.m, though. You can get Eichorns Ace Detective one-off cheaply but I've never seen the Eros Real Stuff counterpart Real Smut which was basically all the sex stories from Real Stuff but not actually very prurient. The newest RS book is from Pooch Press and still available, lots of old heads drawing including some new talent.

BTW did you get the big hardback JIM book that Fanta put out last year? Reprinted the first volume and most of the second, it's so worth having in durable format...saves a lotta trawling through longboxes!

If you want the Crap or Jim stuff drop me a line, no pressure!: antvolley@ymail.com . You're welcome to 'em; I'm not mercenary and I'll be glad to see 'em go to a good home! Take care Mr. L!
vollsticks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , Crap is great, you'll be able to pick up all 7 issues with no much bother, especially considering your location, you might not even have t go on line! But there's always JR Williams stuff floating about on E-Bay. About 2-5 dollars an issue seems to be the going rate. Unfortunately Williams has no collections that I know of...he did stuff for Duplex Planet, he has a fair bit in the No More Shaves collection, he also did a series of one-off magazine size comix like Bummer and Damnation and JR Williams' Funhouse (64 pages from Starhead comics!). If you're cool about it I could always send you a coupla Williams' Crap doubles I have? There were 7 issues in all and I have doubles for three, I think, you're welcome to 'em If you want. And I have some Jim volume 2 doubles, too; let me know what you're missing and I'll see if I can help (sorry but there's no WAY I'm parting with my beloved Jim volume 1's!!!), it's no bother! OH wait you said Frank not Jim...only have a few of the Frank floppies but I have all the Tantalizing Tales comics he did with Mark Martin; I just LOVE those Montgomery Wart stories. Anyway Frank was in that book, like the Franks Real Pa and Frank By The River stories...Mark Martin is dope, too, so under-rated. I came to your work as a cartoonist not as a musician so I'm not, like, a rock star stalker or owt Smile You're still a bitchin' son-writer, though, don't get me wrong! Argh that sounds so sycophantic sorry!!!
(I remember seeing you on British TV some years ago talking through one of your "song illustrations", can you remember when/which show it was from? Was it anything to do with Andrew Graham-Dixon? Can't remember, maybe I imagined the whole thing....)

Uhm regarding the Real Stuff...stuff... there was a Last Gasp collection called Real Stuff, not sure how available it is a.t.m, though. You can get Eichorns Ace Detective one-off cheaply but I've never seen the Eros Real Stuff counterpart Real Smut which was basically all the sex stories from Real Stuff but not actually very prurient. The newest RS book is from Pooch Press and still available, lots of old heads drawing including some new talent.

BTW did you get the big hardback JIM book that Fanta put out last year? Reprinted the first volume and most of the second, it's so worth having in durable format...saves a lotta trawling through longboxes!

If you want the Crap or Jim stuff drop me a line, no pressure!: antvolley@ymail.com . You're welcome to 'em; I'm not mercenary and I'll be glad to see 'em go to a good home! Take care Mr. L!
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Sorry! Reply with quote

Dunno how that ended up being posted twice, many apologies, folks.