message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

UK December Tour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? There are definitely some people that cover their insecurities with false confidence and I know everyone has problems but most people I've met it seems genuine. Most people don't seem to care what I do but enough have commented that it drives paranoia and intense self criticism to make me believe that enough people out there are disgusted with who and what I am. It sounds amazing that I would be unique and special and different and know about things but I fear it is only something that applies to other people. I think this is more my fault than other people's but it's still a hindrance to getting along in everyday life. Other people can be unique and interesting though, I agree with that. Sorry, I seem to have taken over this thread with moaning... again. I'm so sorry everyone. I wish I could say it won't happen again but it probably will. I don't mean it to.
keithos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me got my ticket for the Glasgow gig - really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to pick up issues #9 & #10 of Fuff so I hope you're bringing those with you. Also I'd love a Fall songs print if you have any spare space!
AFB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeahhhh, just weighing in to say I'll be at both Bristol shows. Super excited. Oh, I don't know if you remember this Jeff, but I emailed you years ago to say that I played my daughter your records all the time (I imagine I probably skipped over the likes of Chelsea Hotel...) – so much so that she asked me to make her a mix CD of your stuff for her fourth birthday. Well, she's 12 now and she's coming to the daytime show with me. How did that happen? Crazy.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha that is awesome. my girl was only slepping listening to graveyard when she was a couple months old, she was also into deerhoof as a baby. she is a rock and roll kid for sure!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!
HotCars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show yesterday (afternoon) at the Hope and Ruin in Brighton. Jeff came onstage and launched into one of his biggest, erm, hits - Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song. My mate said it reminded him of when he saw Springsteen start his gig with 'Born to Run' at the Brighton Centre in 1981. Great to hear Manhattan material live for the first time - especially the slower songs Scowling Crackhead Ian and Back to Manhattan which really shone. Los Bolts were tight (especially on Texas, Sad Screaming Old Man and No LSD Tonight) and the solo encore (Cult Boyfriend, Life, Mosquito Masss Murderist) was bliss. Everytime I leave one of Jeff's gigs I swear it was better than the last.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to Wednesday. I've even found someone to go with for the first time ever. Yey. Still haven't found Jeff a good gift to take though. Working on it.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant Tuesday in that post above.

Jeffrey and his buddies were brilliant last night, I had a lovely time listening to all my favourite songs and seeing all the bearded men wandering around (such a high percentage of the male crowd members were bearded, why is that?!) it was a lovely night.

xxxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from Otley, a bit outside of Leeds...
just about halfway thru the UK tour!
And tonight's the big multi-act bill in Derby!
Fri Dec 11 - Derby, England- The Hairy Dog (Becket Street, DE1 1HT) W/ The Burning Hell, Susie Asado, Ben Walker & Alex Hale!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds, Alan Bennett county, very nice. I hope you're all doing alright and staying well and warm x
keithos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed the gig in Glasgow yesterday. A nice combination of old favourites and songs from the new album as well as several that i've not heard before including one a funny one about birds and one (a bit ill-advised, especially after Jeff declaring his unpopular views of his relief at the result of the Scottish referendum vote) expressing his fondness for English food and culture!
There was one bizarre moment where a strange and probably drunk woman (backed up by a guy standing near me) kept shouting out 'play Back When I was 4' at various intervals during the set. Jeff did play it as one of the last songs and paused at the point in the song that mentioned ROM comic books to give a bit more background detail on what they are. This seemed to really irk the Back When I was 4 fan who started screaming out for Jeff to stop talking and carry on with the song. It was odd for so many reasons - she's obviously a bit of a fan to be aware of his early material but I would have thought any of his fans going to see him live would hope for the occasional witty aside rather than just the 'hits' played as they sound on the cd (as Jeff alluded to, albeit more modestly). I could understand people going to a Europe show being disappointed by a deconstructed performance of The Final Countdown but it's hardly the same thing.
Song of the night was undoubtedly a mesmerizing version of Will Oldham Williamsburg Horror - the audience were hanging on his every word.
Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it and great value for a set clocking in at well over 90mins. I was also very happy to add the last 2 Fuff comics to my collection and a Fall posted (which I might get framed for my brother's Christmas present).
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are strange people at Jeff's gigs, it's true. Maybe it's my fault for thinking everyone else who hears and likes the songs must be like me, but it's not the case.
Lucky brother! I hope he likes his poster and I'm glad you had a good night. It would be great to go to a Glasgow gig as I love a gentle Scottish accent. And I'm pro-keeping the united kingdom united as well, It's not that an unpopular view if more than 50% of people voted for it!
x
christian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that seems quite weird and awkward for everyone involved... too bad. I seem to remember seeing an interview with Jeff on youtube once where he said he has even been attacked on stage! (I could be remembering it wrong though)
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lots of artists get attacked on stage, often the nature of the gig is that there are people consuming more drink and or drugs than they can manage sensibly. Don't get me wrong, I've done it too many a time but I'm not the attacking sort so have never found this a problem, of course there is always going to be a percentage of people who are damaged enough to feel the need to be physically violent at these times. Maybe they're trying to communicate how angry and sad and lonely they feel, maybe they're not nice people, I don't know, I think the law can do a poor job of protecting the victim of such attacks which is a sad state of affairs but it's a start - no one should make anyone else feel this is acceptable behaviour. I'd use my karate moves to protect fellow humanity if it was necessary but mostly I'm a pacifist except in defence circumstances.
ELLIOT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone go to both Bristol shows? Thinking of doing both London gigs but wondered how different the set lists were.