message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Cartoonists shot dead in France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Cartoonists shot dead in France Reply with quote

What a sad day for liberty.

Last edited by Dav on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is all over the UK news.
We are not a secular country in the same way as France but I think it will have long lasting effects on this country, the right will use it as an excuse to do more stupid things and vote for their ignorant parties in our up coming election at the minimum.
I'm really sorry, for France and the families and for free speech.
xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every week I have an "art night" here at my apartment, different comic book artist and other people come over and drink and draw and hang out. Tonight there were a lot of people here, and of course the shootings in France were a big topic. One person voiced an interesting opinion, that "there is no such thing as free speech, outside of a government law." He meant that a government can make a law allowing free speech, and that law will then prevent the government from punishing you for printing or saying things. His point was that you are never safe to say things in the real world; if you walk on the street and insult somebody you might be in danger of being punched in the face, and you can't use the "free speech" law as your protection against people, only against the government. I'm not saying it the same way he said it, but I thought it was an interesting perspective, and of course some of us fought back against him, with some other opinions and perspectives. In any case it was a lively discussion. And of course the murders in France are a horrible crime, everybody is shocked and disturbed and can't imagine a proper response. There are some good cartoons going around the internet. I like the one with the bullets going through the Hebdo building and hitting a mosque on the other side, acknowledging that this crime is going to cause even more problems for innocent muslims in France who are already facing discrimination. Ugh, it's all so terrible. A few very crazy people. At least they never killed Salman Rushdie like they wanted to, so many years ago; he continued living and writing despite the threats against him (even though he had to be in hiding for a time).
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two killers are about to get busted right now, they got hostages though, let's hope for a good ending, as good at it can be...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waking up very late, so I missed most of the radio news this morning, just as I woke up I heard the gunmen were dead. When i went out to get coffee all o the newspapers only had the news from the day before, about the shooting, but not about finding the criminals. i suppose by the end of today I'll have heard more of the story.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free speech is a weird one, I'm totally for it, but also think that being deliberately spiteful and saying something aggressively when it could be said in a nicer way is better... I can't explain it very well... Often certain groups try to ban people (controversial extremists typically) coming in to this country to give talks etc, and I always think, let them in, do their talk to about 40 people, most of them journalists, and go home, don't give them the coverage of trying to ban them...and comedians get a hard time too, but I'm kind of more up for free speech when it's clearly a joke in context... I haven't fully figured out my philosophy of it but I've been working on it for a long time. Some types of free speech are more equal than others is the general drift.
I hear they got the brothers, but one got away, and the hostages had a bad end. It all makes me sad.
xxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the cartoonist Luz is (very bravely) doing the cover of the next Hedbo issue, I love that guy's art, I've been admiring his work in France for years, I had no idea he worked for Hebdo now. In fact, he is only alive because he was late for work that day. Terrifying. But he's not letting that stop him. I have some of his old zine stuff and he once did a drawing of me and Jack for a gig poster! He did a great series of drawings about gigs he went to, with very funny art of Mark E Smith.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Luz is a great cartoonist.

The cover is so strong.
"all is forgiven"

Last edited by Dav on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a message from Neman Herman Dune, when I was discussing this with him :

"And yes everyone knows Luz here, he's a regular at the Pop in, and he's one of the biggest Fall fan ever with you Jeff! He was 20 minutes late for work luckily and it was also his birthday that day, very sad...it's been very hard times here since last week, but people's reaction at the walk on sunday has been really amazing, so it has been soothing for everybody, and Luz's cover is really good, funny & sad at the same time, we can be proud of him to be that smart after what happened to his friends."
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey, let me know if you want me to send you a copy this one.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the flier he did for my show, maybe it was 2006 or something...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the drawing of Mark E Smith in the guitar strings...
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, it a real nice piece of art, the Mark E Smith is a nice touch.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they've printed 3 million copies of the new edition... I expect it will sell the lot too. x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Dav, it would be great to get a copy of that. But maybe there will be an edition available in America? I think it seems like it will be a pretty big international event, the release of this issue. I wish there was an english-language version I could get! But I can sort of figure out a lot of the cartoons anyway, figuring out a lot of the words, and looking up any words I don't understand.