$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Cryptic jokes and hidden puns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Cryptic jokes and hidden puns Reply with quote

I've noticed that Jeff occasionally includes subtle cryptic jokes and puns in his songs, cover art etc. I've listed some examples below, but wondered if anyone has noticed any others?

Maybe they appear more than just occasionally, but I've just never noticed...

1) Jeff's cover of Octopus' Garden, from a Mojo magazine CD, has a clever joke in the refrain. It includes a fragment of Syd Barrett's Octopus (heave-and-ho) and also mentions "slushy pen" from the song Garden by "The Fall". Carrying on the Octopus' Garden theme quite cleverly.

2) The title of the 2005 album "City and Eastern" is a play on "Country and Western"

3) The cover art of "A Turn in the Dream Songs" features several terns (the avian variety). One is shown speaking the track listing.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to check that octopus garden song.

There is the will oldham song ending with "i'll put up with something good" and the following track is something good.

The it's the one who've crack hidden comic.
andylips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't the title "It's the Ones Who've Cracked That the Light Shines Through" a pun/homage from something??

edit: wiki research says so..

"The album and track title is similar to a lyrics in Leonard Cohen's "Anthem" on his 1992 album "The Future". (There is a crack in everything / That's how the light gets in. ) " although there is not a jeff song called "It's the Ones Who've Cracked That the Light Shines Through" but i'm rambling..

i really love in Fuff the subtle text about floppys/any resemble to any characters living or dead/letters pages etc.. all the little subtle things are some of my favourite things Jeff does, and i think are something that people really love most about jeff, it's at the heart of what he does, endearing jeffesque things..if that makes sense.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated JL 'laugh' that I had this week:

Went to see my doctor and had a chat about my heart condition, he spent a while checking it and listening to it and all the usual things...only when I left I realised he wasn't smirking at me weirdly but at the last time I did acid t shirt I was wearing, oops! I hope they didn't put class a drug user on my medical records.
xxx