$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Message Board CD1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Message Board CD1 Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff - I received the Message Board CD last week. Much appreciated.

Some good tracks on there - I especially like Help Me by Paul Ngozi, which is a Zambian take on Black Sabbath and the Stooges. I reckon its the first Zambian rock song I've ever heard.

Another stand-out track is "Yesterday ,Where's my Mind" by Susan Christie. I can see why it was a commercial flop, but on the other hand, also a great song.

I'll be searching out their albums in due course...

I've been listening to more African music this year and I expect this'll be a trend in the coming year too.

I can recommend Fela Kuti as a good place to start. There's a hard-edge to his music so it'll appeal to rock listeners. All the tracks I've heard (so far) are in English and typically they're about 10-15 mins long with the vocals appearing at the 6 minute mark. Stand out tracks include: Zombie, Lady, ITT, Coffin for Head of State.

Can you recommend any other African rock stuff?

Pass the biscuits please...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Fela Kuti, especially the 1975 albums "Expensive Shit" and "He Miss Road", I think both are now available paired onto one CD. I have some of his earlier albums too, but I don't like them nearly as much. I should get more of his mid-late 70s stuff. I don't have Zombie, though I know it's his most famous one.

My FAVORITE African rock album is Chrissy Zebby Tembo, "My Ancestors", 1974, I'm sure I have already talked about it on this message board somewhere. It's similar style to that Paul Ngozi track on the comp (Paul & Chrissy played together, in Zambia) but more lo-fi, and, at least to my ears, more personal-sounding. I do love that Paul Ngozi track tho... ("maybe there's a hippie, trying to kill me"... you don't hear a lyric like that very often!) I got two albums by the Zambian band Witch, but they are a little disappointing, other than a couple stand-out tracks.

To me, the Susan Christie album is quite disappointing, the only thing I really like on it is that one narrative thing.