message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

fave new comics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andylips

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex Criminals is great, so is micheal deforge, his new book first year healthy is a great story. I didn't dig Scott McCloud's new book, but i'm curious to hear what others think.

I finally watched the documentary about Jeffrey Brown "drawing between the lines", thought that the content was great and to the point, but the camera work was awful and made it hard to focus on the conversations, too much constant zooming in and out, and poor focusing and editing. Has anyone else seen it?
scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that jeffrey brown documentary and completely agree with you. I watched it once and sort of regretted actually buying the dvd.

i recently picked up the new noah van sciver comic "saint cole." I really loved the story and artwork in the book. his drawing seem very loose, but well planned out and orchestrated if that makes sense. i've been digging through his backlog of comics as of late.
vollsticks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Crickets, #4, by Sammy Harkham was amazing. Pope Hats #4 by Ethan Rilly was pretty good, too. Mostly been reading the old Fanta anthology Zero Zero, some classic stuff in there. Idiotland By Gary Lieb and Doug Allen....picking through that McSweeney's #13, the Chris Ware-edited joint, it's always worth a re-read....and the Best American Comics 2015 looks CRAZY, you know what you're getting with those but this one?! Totally out the box, some BLEEDING-EDGE cartoonists I haven't HEARD OF, and I PRIDE myself on keeping up on all the new exciting talent in "art"/"literary" alternative comix. So that's a must-buy.
ElenaJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is: Famous Monsters
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Best American Comics 2015 has some Josh Bayer stuff in it? Love that guy, glad to see him get some attention!
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser by Joe Sacco.

Brilliant. Bizarre. Disturbing. Satirical.

Recommended. 5/5
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazmann wrote:
How about Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser by Joe Sacco.

Brilliant. Bizarre. Disturbing. Satirical.

Recommended. 5/5

Yes! The best thing he's done for ages. Outstanding. Like, Barack Obama is actually Richard Nixon...or is it vice versa?! And Guantanamo Bay is on the moon, where bizarre ritual sacrifice takes place...and there are dogs in there. Big, scary dogs. And boyish, enthusiastic RAF fighter pilots who want to "stick it to the Hun"...it's testament to Sacco's skill as a cartoonist that it all gels together, nothing "sticks" or feels out of place even though there's a few disparate threads to the plot. I mean,it's basically a satirical critique of the Western military/industrial/entertainment complex, right? Broadly, I mean. But it never feels "wooly" or undisciplined. I reckon that must be the journalist in him. And his drawing is a little looser and a lot nuttier, like the little chicken guy popping up in there?! Hah. Fucking great.

I'm reading the Box Brown Andre the Giant bio at the moment, really enjoying that, also got Brooklyn Quesadillas by Anthony Hutchesse--he had a comic in the latest Kramers Ergot which I really liked so I tracked down a copy of BQ and I'm liking it a lot. Light-hearted, silly, nice loose drawing, anthropomorphic fox-dudes, it's a good read.

Still haven't read Patience and based on Jeff Lewis' review I'm not sure I want to!I deliberately waited as long as I could to get a copy and it's just been sitting on my "to read" pile...had a flick through it and I thought the colours were nice...and I actually like the drawing, unlike Jeff--what Clowes has lost (well, "abandoned" would be a better way of putting it) in terms of varied and almost obsessive mark-making he's made up for in "vigour", I think--by which I mean he's lost a lot of the stiffness that marked his old work. I know a lot of people like that about Clowes, indeed it's kind of a defining "tic" of his comics but more often than not I found it a bit off-putting. Pretty sure he's the closest "alt" comics have to "a genius", though. Shame he's been swallowed up in film. He criticises current capeshit (fine, I hate it too) for being nothing more than "fancy storyboards for future film projects" then goes on to make not one, not two, but three pictures based on his comics? I get that he may have other interests creatively but all his talk of: the comic being the final product, the be-all-and-end-all, my work isn't a bridge to another medium etc etc seems a bit glib now Sad Why not write a completely original screenplay? I mean, we know these characters already...Woody Harrellson as Wilson?! Laura Dern as his ex-wife?! WTF?! Maybe he's taken heed of the stories of his cartooning idols who were left bereft, impecunious and broken by the medium and is just trying to make as much $ as he can, now...and why not, he's paid his dues, right? Right?!
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with everything in that previous comment!
vollsticks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reflection I think Xaime and Chris Ware would qualify for "genius" status, too!
vollsticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
I think Best American Comics 2015 has some Josh Bayer stuff in it? Love that guy, glad to see him get some attention!

He's done a ROM comic!!! D'ya go to Desert Island at all, they might well have a copy....
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, me and Josh have talked a lot about Rom, he's done a lot of Rom related projects!