$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Recent subway sketch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Recent subway sketch Reply with quote

Just tried to post this but I don't think it worked, trying again, hope this isn't a double!
I used to only be able to draw people on the subway if they were engrossed in reading or if they were asleep, but I've noticed that phones are now providing me with an increasing number of "victims". People, like the long-haired guy in this recent drawing, get so transfixed by whatever they are seeing on the screen that they are willing to pose in very still and stable positions for a long time, they don't realize it. I probably do the same thing. It has been a wonderful development for those of us who try to sketch people on the NYC subway trains!
As I usually do, I was drawing in pencil on the train, then inked some of the sketches with a brush back at home, somedays days or weeks after the initial sketching.
In all of my recent work I have been influenced by the Jack Kirby art show that I saw a couple months ago, where I learned all over again the lesson of how important it is to control my line widths while inking... VERY thick outer lines and VERY thin inner lines, lots of line-width variety, it really helps add clarity. I haven't yet mastered it, and sometimes I overdo it, which leads to this sort of accidental "Art Nouveau" look, where everybody looks like a flat cardboard cut-out because the thick outlines tend to over-emphasize their 2-dimensionality rather than having an illusion of 3 dimensions. But I often LIKE that "flat" look too.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really nice, thanks for sharing
misshelenc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too, although I think if anyone tried to draw me and I caught them I would be deeply embarrassed, I mostly can't stand the idea of anyone looking at me, let alone staring and copying me!
I always think people are really hard to draw but you have done a fine job, as usual. x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate getting caught drawing people! Because it probably does make them feel weird when they catch me staring at them and furiously scribbling in my book! That's why I always try to pick people who seem totally absorbed in sleeping or reading or looking at their phones... but I still get busted sometimes.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 50 percent people are always using their phone you don't have to worry.
The Jack Kirby thick lines style is great.