message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Recommended rap albums...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shown 'Thug Life' on youtube, which took me a while to get into, but after a few videos I was kind of dancing along to the rap songs as I was cleaning my kitchen. I think I liked it because it was only 30 seconds of a song and generally missed out all the sexist stuff I don't like, and it was famous songs that I've heard on other things before, but for the first time I did kind of enjoy it. xx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what that is... I guess it has something to do with Tupac? I never got into his music, I don't even know if I know a single one of his songs... I guess I should know more than that.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, they (?) clearly have a bit too much time on their hands, but they (I assume) scour the internet for videos of people being generally a bit naughty and make them into thugs... it's hard to explain, they need to be watched really, or explained by someone who can actually use the English language effectively, but they're a waste of ten minutes and an easy laugh.
I don't know a single Tupac song either, it's not the end of the world. I can't pretend it's anything to do with me. I grew up in a small English town with thatched cottages and everything ticked along just fine. You might get a group of youths in the park on a Friday night, drinking cheap cider and smoking badly rolled joints, but while a bit of noise and vomiting is annoying, it's hardly crime of the century. It's not children getting shot and drug dealers and prostitutes and all the other things they sing about. I mean, I totally think they have a right to tell their story and be heard and people should discuss such things and not pretend they don't exist and destroy real lives etc but for me and my life it really doesn't relate. More than one person has told me that I remind them of the girl in the song Common People. It makes a mockery of people with those problems every day for someone like me to pretend to be part of it.
I suppose that's why we need lots of voices in art most of all, we are all different and from different places.
xxx
kevinjshipp

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool Keith! most especially the Dr. Octogon and Lost Masters records.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Kool Keith has some cool weird stuff, I have Black Elvis/Lost in Space and I once had Dr. Octogonecologist but I can't find it now.
kevinjshipp

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any thoughts on the newest kendrick lamar album? I don't really follow modern rap at all but this kinda touches on the g-funk stuff from the early/mid '90's and has some great tones/production. Also - Kool Keith was in the Ultramagnetic MCs, they were pretty badass
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard the newest Kendrick Lamar... but when I first checked him out I wasn't very impressed, people had told me he was a good person to discover but it just sounded like the usual same old stuff that I've heard a hundred times before...
But maybe I should hear the new one...
kevinjshipp

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, actually. Then i heard my roommate playing this and i had to find it:

https://youtu.be/dciOaUsFvtY

Turns out the rest of the album is pretty cool, too.