Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Recorded new album today (?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Recorded new album today (?) Reply with quote

Well, I got my band into Mark Ospovat's Emandee studio in Brooklyn and recorded a whole album in one day, including mixing and mastering, but I haven't had a chance to listen back to any of it. I can't decide if I should just put this out as-is, maybe even in time for my Jan-Feb Europe tour dates, or take some more time to work on it! Well it's only about 6 songs so I can't really call it a whole album. But if I toss in a couple of recent live recordings of unreleased songs then I've got 8 songs and 32 minutes total... sort of works for a short album... maybe I'd better listen to it first before putting any more thought into what i might do with it.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited as hell! I'd love to hear it. Were you thinking as a digital release?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your thoughts - listen to it, have some initial thoughts, listen to it again with them in mind, ask other people involved to listen to it, make a democratic decision about the thoughts and ideas people have as to whether it needs more work or it's better as is xxx
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, i like raw material myself, most of the time the simplier is the better. I'm waiting for update on this.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With luck I'll have copies from the CD manufacturer in time to take on the Jan-Feb Europe dates, also hoping to have Fuff #9 in time for the tour. Kind of insane, since I just sent the material to the printer today, and the tour is only 2 weeks away, if it DOES all arrive before I leave on tour it'll be a real last-minute situation. Why do I always leave everything for the last minute...
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on a digital release date?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if I should do a digital release yet...
I guess there's no reason not to...
but this is such a strange time we live in, I just spent all this money to make CDs, I find myself worrying that if I do it as a digital release also then it will slow down the sales of the CDs and make it harder for me to make my money back on them... but on the other hand, if I'm getting money from digital sales, then what does it matter HOW I make the money back as long as I make it back, even if I end up with CDs that I dump in the garbage? But then if I really think that digital sales will be more popular than CD sales why make the CDs in the first place, I should just make recordings and put them on Bandcamp with NO physical CDs and save the environment (and save manufacturing/shipping money too)...
It's all so confusing nowadays!
I mostly just wanted to have a new item with the new band members represented on it, so we could sell it on the upcoming tour and it would make it more exciting for Caitlin and Heather in my band if there was an item at the merchandise table that they were sharing money from, not just a merchandise table of only my own old albums and my own comics, but something to represent all of us. So it's like an old fashioned "tour CD", it even has the tour dates printed in it... tho I know I won't sell all of them on this one tour... it's cool to have an item that is specific to a tour, like when bands have a tour t-shirt that was made for a certain tour... I think that's how I'm thinking of this.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a fan, living in Texas I just don't know when you'd come through again otherwise I'd definitely buy the CD because I love you artwork. The thing nowadays is I rarely buy cds anymore and not for the reason most people think! This vinyl addiction is only in the past 2 years or so. When I purchase music, it is a vinyl release because most of these vinyl releases come with a download code. If they don't have a code, I go through trouble of using ripping to my computer. But I don't use file-sharing sites. If I obtain music, I pay for it. I talk to people younger than me and they talk about they music they download and it makes me kind of sad they don't have the experience I had growing up when I would get super excited about a CD coming out and I'd head STRAIGHT for the record store right after school, pick it up and sit in my car look at the artwork and listen to it. Now, even though I don't buy CDS anymore, I do buy vinyl. And I head straight for my turntable when I get home. Now, if it is a CD only releases, like your Peter Stampfel records, I go for a physical copy no doubt. That reminds me, I picked up The Holy Modal Rounders first record and I love it. Some record imprint located in San Francisco reissued it on vinyl. Along with Nuggets. But The Fugs record I got used and it is in pretty terrible shape but it plays fine.

Anyways, the selfish reason I'd want a digital release, is because I'd have to wait for you to get back from tour to send it out. Is that right or do you have some minions to help you out with that? Regardless, if you sell in your site, I'll buy it. But I definitely understand your sentiments.
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ahead and purchased the CD and Fuff #9. Now, just the waiting part. I just like that sometime in the next 4 weeks I will be elated to receive these things in the mail.
dankent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be wonderful if when the new cd is purchased you got an immediate download for mp3
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that'd be just like buying a download in the first place!
Though I guess the difference is that you'd get a physical thing later.
Just to warn folks, there really isn't anything physically interesting about this Jrams CD at all! I had so little time to put it together it has probably the most minimal packaging of anything I've ever put out ever. Usually I like to make something extra special with the CD packaging (well actually I really only do that when it's a Rough Trade release because it would be too expensive for me to manufacture those big color fold-out projects on my own...).
So yeah, this one is a little more stripped down "Stanley Brinks-style" cheap-o packaging. Blame it on Stanley! He's a bad influence on me! : )
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
But that'd be just like buying a download in the first place!
Though I guess the difference is that you'd get a physical thing later.
Just to warn folks, there really isn't anything physically interesting about this Jrams CD at all! I had so little time to put it together it has probably the most minimal packaging of anything I've ever put out ever. Usually I like to make something extra special with the CD packaging (well actually I really only do that when it's a Rough Trade release because it would be too expensive for me to manufacture those big color fold-out projects on my own...).
So yeah, this one is a little more stripped down "Stanley Brinks-style" cheap-o packaging. Blame it on Stanley! He's a bad influence on me! : )

Totally cool with this.
dankent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, I come on here a bunch to see what is going on and message people about music and stuff. I'm generally on here once a day. I wondered if you could either give me the ability to delete spam or get a few other admins or something because the amount of Russian spam I sift through is kind of mental. Also, I have never heard of Stanley Brinks. I am intrigued now though so I shall check him out.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stanley Brinks" is the most common alias of the former Andre Herman Dune, formerly of the band Herman Dune, before he broke away to do his solo thing...
He is famous (or infamous) for putting out albums very regularly, he probably has more albums than almost anybody ever! He probably does a new album almost every 2 months on average or something like that... for over ten years... that's a lot of albums! It's an interesting way to be an artist, because you basically just get people hooked on your "flavor" and then people do want to get and hear everything, it's like hearing regular updates from an artist that you like, or reading a comic or magazine that comes out a few times a year, hearing what Stanley has been doing lately.
He has a lot of his albums on Bandcamp, here's one that I like a whole lot, a collaboration with the Wave Pictures (Stanley does a lot of collaborations) -
http://stanleybrinks.bandcamp.com/album/and-the-wave-pictures

I'm sure other Message Board reader may have their own suggestions of the best Stanley Brinks albums! Of course it's impossible that anybody has heard ALL of them...
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a shipping notifcation! Thanks, Jeff, for sending it out before you left for tour!