$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Name that tune..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Name that tune.. Reply with quote

Can anyone help me identify one of the stand-out songs that Jeff's band is playing on his current tour (on the recent UK tour, atleast)? It might be cover, or a song from an earlier album, but I don't recognise it. Or perhaps, its a preview from the forthcoming album Have Moicy 2!, as the band is currently also playing the Road-Kill song, from that album.

The track in particular is quite fast, with a fast guitar opening, the band play full-on throughout with a wild guitar solo near the abrupt ending.

Here are some lyric fragments...

.. don't wanna lose ... without warning...

..can't move.... ...never can see him... ..never can free him... (repeats, this seems to be the chorus)

..got nothin' to sell...

..chasing the dragon .. as you can imagine...(?)...

And its played after the Pussy Riot song in the set, if that helps...thanks
dazman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it...its appears on the latest JL & the JRams album...its called "Painted Into a Corner".

Great tune...one to play loud!

Jeff - when are you next on tour in the UK?
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any other songs from Jeff's catalog where I can detect an influence, but I think the song Painted into a Corner, bears some similarity with the song Sedan Delivery by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. There's several NY&CH versions of this song but I was listening to the one on the Live Rust album when I made the connection.
The similarity is mainly in fast vocal delivery of the verses and the accompanying drums. The Feelies covered this song, and their version feels even more similar to PIAC.

On the subject of similarities...

I've often thought that the Violent Femmes eponymous album has an "anti-folk" sound to it, although it was released in 1983. There's a similar "feel" to their sound but not a direct connection with JL. I can detect a Velvet Underground vibe (eg. the song Promise). Anyway....I think JL fans would enjoy listening to this album.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that Neil Young song but I'll check it out! Cool that the Feelies cover it, I love the Feelies, I have a bunch of their albums, I got to see them open for Yo La Tengo a couple years ago, wow, what a great show.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yeah of course the Violent Femmes are a huge influence on me and Jack, especially when we were starting out! We have every Violent Femmes album... really, every one, even though the first one is the real classic one, the other albums have great stuff too, even the much later albums usually have some good stuff on them. In some of our early performing years we would often cover Violent Femmes songs like "Never Tell" (from the incredible Hallowed Ground album), and I sometimes still cover "He Likes Me" (is that one from Why Do The Birds Sing?)... Fantastic amazing band, one of the all-time great bands. You can really hear in Jack's writing and singing the Violent Femmes punk-folk sound, I don't think the Violent Femmes would write a song like the Man With the Golden Arm, but a song like Another Girl is definitely total Violent Femmes territory.