$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Michael Hurley touring UK in May

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Michael Hurley touring UK in May Reply with quote

Just thought I'd draw your attention to the fact that Michael Hurley is playing a couple of UK dates in May. Book your tickets now...

Hurley plays on the MH/Holy Modal Rounders album "Have Moicy!" that Jeff has recommended elsewhere on this forum. Its excellent.

Jeff also plays on the, as yet unreleased sequel, HM2 recorded last year with Stampfel and others. Any news?

Its going to be an exciting May/June with Jeff & Stampfel also playing UK dates...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's so great that Hurley is going to be in the UK!
I wonder if there's any chance in heck that I can try to get some kind of cross-over show to happen with Stampfel and Hurley?!? Do you know the Hurley tour dates/locations?
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on this? Can you direct me to where you saw this listed?
I haven't found any info about UK shows on Hurley's website...
jack fe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's playing Cafe Oto in London on the 7th, that's the only one I know for sure, so it doesn't look like there's much chance of crossover.
dazmann

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for slow reply, Jeff...I think there were only a couple of UK dates in early May, so no good for a Hurley/Stampfel link-up.

I notice he's playing NY in July, so that might be more fruitful...

Anyway...I saw his CafeOTO show in London yesterday. I'm glad I made the effort - it was a good evening. It was a sell-out - probably 120-or-so. I was surprised at the number of trendy younger-folks...the Dalston set? Many seems to be there for Hurley rather than the support.

I don't know all of Hurley's songs - not by a long stretch, but he played several good songs that I'd never heard before.

He often writes songs referencing food-and-drink so I wasn't too surprised to hear a few more about drinking tea and sugar&honey. He also spoke often between the songs which added to the easy-feel of the evening.

Which reminds me...time for tea.
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was there too! It was a great set. I've listened to most of his records (some a lot more than others) and there were quite a few great songs I hadn't heard before. Some real favourites in there too.

I know what you mean about the audience, although it was mostly quite friendly. Never too hip to appreciate. But there were some obnoxious dudes heckling for more at the end, quite aggressively. Not that it wasn't a great encore.
I loved his talk/sing/strumming in between things, it reminded me of older talking blues stuff. And that song about sweetening tea was especially brilliant.