Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Peter Stampfel discography recommendation stuff!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Peter Stampfel discography recommendation stuff! Reply with quote

Okay, to respond to the stuff in the other thread about recommended Peter Stampfel albums...
yeah definitely the first Holy Modal Rounders album from 1964 is a charming classic.

I would also recommend the first two albums worth of Fugs recordings, when the Holy Modal Rounders were part of the Fugs, especially the album "Virgin Fugs for Adult Minds Only," recorded in 1965, also "Village Fugs" which is often found in reissue form with the title "Fugs First Album." Both of those have some good Stampfel/Webber appearances and are really good related albums in their own way.

For other Holy Modal Rounders albums, I think "Alleged in Their Own Time" from the early-mid 1970s is a particularly strong one, that's the one with the yellow cover. Probably their best album of the 1970s.

Of the Peter Stampfel solo stuff in the 1980s and beyond, there's a lot of really good ones. I especially love "The Jig Is Up" and "Dook of the Beatniks."

Of course the 1975 "Have Moicy" album collaboration between Peter Stampfel, Michael Hurley and Jeffrey Fredericks is widely considered a highlight in the discography of all three artists... so if you like that one you should also get the best albums from the other guys, definitely get "Armchair Boogie" and "Parsnip Snips" from Michael Hurley (also his "First Songs" and "Long Journey" are awesome), and if you can find a copy it's worth checking out Jeffrey Fredericks' "Spiders in the Moonlight," 1977 or something like that, I think it might be the only official album from Jeffrey Fredericks & The Clamtones, and it's in a similar style to "Have Moicy."