Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

So, what's going on in Jeffrey Lewis camp lately?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackyMcCrackerson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: So, what's going on in Jeffrey Lewis camp lately? Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
Got anything special you're working on whether be art, music, film or the like? Well, anything special you can talk about. Anything special you've been listening to?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes do tell all!

What about everyone else, any news? I am moving house tomorrow. I swear I've never been as stressed and miserable as I have been this last 2 months organising it all, moving is the worst thing ever! Can't wait for it all to be over. xxx
lauragek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm moving soon too! Well, factually my parents are as I now live in my own student room. But I will lose my own room that I grew up in as a teenager and it sure feels weird. I notice that whenever I feel out of place I start listening to a lot more music.

Also I just received the picture album I made this Christmas holiday. It contains the pictures from the US trip I made last summer. It's sure amazing to remember my times in New York, the hospitality of Jeff when we found out we booked one day short for our hotel, and the rehearsal for the Tuli memorial show we got to attend. I wish I could go back...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you guys are dealing with the stress of moving, that's always a handful!
I've been absent around the board lately, keeping busy writing and rehearsing stuff with Peter Stampfel!
(Also booking a bunch of shows for myself and Peter, around NYC and around the UK too, more info soon...)
silverwood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id love to hear another album with you and peter stampfell.
i was unfamiliar with peter when i first heard Come On Board. countless listens of that album sent me into a peter stampfell frenzy. Ive been listening to holy modal rounders all year, his enthusiasm and energy is infectious!
Ive been trying to get my band mate to imitate his violin style for a while now.

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some recording studio time booked in April to try to record a new album with Peter, I'm really excited about the new material we've been working on!
The last album, Come on Board, was more like he brought some songs and I brought some songs and we recorded it all together, but this time we not only each brought some songs but co-wrote a bunch of totally new/collaborative material, so it's been a different sort of process. He'll give me a great chord progression and I'll write some lyrics for it, then he'll suggest some lyric improvements, stuff like that.

I'm really curious what Peter Stampfel/Holy Modal Rounders material you have found after getting into him!
I actually recently hatched a plan with Joe Steinhardt of Don Giovanni Records, since I discovered he's also a big Stampfel fan, we plan to spend one weekend listening to all of Peter's albums back-to-back from 1963 till present, and write little reviews and assessments, maybe publish a zine "Complete Guide to Peter Stampfel Discography" or something like that. I think at this point there's only one album that I haven't heard, but there might be more.
silverwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listened to Holy Modal Rounders 1 & 2 a great deal and after you talked about Have Moicey a while back ive been digging that. Id actually heard Yo La Tengos cover of Griselda ages before id heard of peter stampfel, and really enjoyed it, so was a pleasant surprise to find the source.
When it comes to his solo albums, and albums with the bottle caps, theyve been pretty hard to come by in the English midlands, so ive only heard bits and bobs the internet has thrown my way.
Spotify has a few albums, but not many.

What would you say are the best picks for peter stampfel albums?

I had a common goal. i caught a common cold.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well move this Stampfel discography recommendation discussion to a new thread topic... see you over there in a minute!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone cares, I have moved, but struggling to get online as I have a brand newly built house and there are no internet cables etc here. Sky just keep putting it off, I will shout at them and get some freebies. I also had a little stay in hospital so all in all things have been pretty stressful and I just wanted to say I have really missed this place, in case anyone noticed or whatever. I will try and be back properly soon, I just want my routine back because I hate change and like everything safe and normal and predictable. Exciting, hey. In good news, my house is utterly beautiful and I am very pleased with it.
Love xxx
lauragek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you, Helen! I've been reading Perks of Being a Wallflower the past week. I noticed that Jeff's music is the perfect soundtrack to the book, with songs about anxiety and songs about simple observations and punky songs... It was almost like the music and the book were made for each other!
My parents moved this weekend and I couldn't be there, but yesterday I was able to help a little bit by putting the CD's back in my dad's racks. I always get jealous of such a big collection, and I always dream that by his age I will have listened to as much music as he has, and still be as enthousiastic about it.
Anyway, I hope you'll find your routine back soon, I know how it makes life so much less scary and stressfull Smile
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thank you honey, it's nice to hear from you and I'm glad you're hanging in there. Some one stole my copy of Perks about 10 years ago but I remember loving it, except that the bad person was another Helen, but the Smiths love was a big pro! I hear there is a film but I haven't seen it, it won't be as good as my fond teenage memories of the book, but I might watch it if it comes on film4 or something one day. I hope you are enjoying lots of reading.
You will get there with the music, it takes a lifetime! Maybe he will leave you his collection in his will?! I think Jeff should leave me his as it sounds quite intense and I have a big new house I need to fill now.
I am such a creature of routine, a bit autistic that way. and I am glad to have what have managed to grab back, but stuff is stilll really hard. I will get there...eventually. Hope you are ok and working hard on your sciences - I am here either way xxxx