$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Gotta get rid of these spammers!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Gotta get rid of these spammers! Reply with quote

Dang, how to get rid of these crazy spammers!? Why (and how) do they actually bother to sign up for message board accounts, and then make long posts in Russian?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, sometimes they post more than actual people do which is a bit depressing! I expect we just need to be vigilant and delete them, or put in some kind of thing whereby you have to be approved to post here somehow by an actual human being...I am not sure if that works or how you would tell if it was a spammer but still...really what I'm trying to say is I don't know how to get rid of them but they should be got rid of! At least the pizza equipment people actually posted in English, I have not seen many Russians posting here! x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, isn't there some kind of process when signing up for board-usage that requires you to prove you're not a robot/spammer? Maybe these are smart human spammers? But why would a smart human Russian spammer bother signing in to an obviously English-language message board only to make long posts in Russian? Who knows, maybe the long Russian posts are real people writing a detailed discussion of the history of Antifolk or something. Seems unlikely!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until someone Russian speaking can shed some light I will place my bets on the idea that they aren't writing some kind of genius essay!
I am not sure what the process is to sign up here...I did it quite a few years ago and have long since forgotten, but I am pretty sure most places you have to write out some random words or answer a question or something. But as to the answer why you'd bother well, I have no answer! Only that people are strange and get up to all sorts! x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... those anti-spam programs where you have to write out a word/numbers that you see written in script would seem to be a safe way to dissuade robots but maybe there's even a robot way around those things at this point. Even a russian robot way around those things!
Hmm, maybe I'll stick the long russian email into a translator service just to see if it's the usual sort of scam or anything more interesting.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The translation! Just as boring as feared. But cripes, why so long???
Translated from Russian by Google Translator (obviously I've got too much time on my hands on this Friday night):

How often you are late in the office after a hard day? A sacrifice their weekend for urgent matters, or intermittently for urgent matters?
The American Medical University researchers have come to a consensus that even a few hours a week that you recycle a negative impact on your health. Doctors have proved that every tenth worker goes to the hospital because of his health, if it transforms every 1-2 hours. And among those who increase their working day more than 2 hours, the amount applied increases to 3 out of 10. Therefore, doctors advise rest from work, even if you really like it. Ideally, each employee must make a break every hour. At this time, a break from their work and try not to deal in the mind working the case. It is better to walk around the office, go outdoors to clean up on the table in the rest ... holiday in Thailand tours recreation hawaii webcam recreation Altana in the Carpathians recreation Running on Waves Hotel Tourist Bobruisk Anapa holiday golden dunes recreation for fishermen Abkhazia holiday home curls book Flights Omsk booking tickets cheap air ticket booking in kazan best hotels Kemer Turkey 5 round tez tour to the Czech Republic holiday in Egypt Photos recreation Magarach crimea destinations Stavropol Anapa settlement moscow holiday book your flights ... book your flights Kiev Simferopol Flights Arkhangelsk Moscow booking hotels cheap holidays in St. Petersburg metro Simeiz round Astrakhan Hotels Grand Hotel recreation cypress Abkhazia airfare Moscow Ulan Ude best hotels Marmaris 4 Star Hotels in Moscow Luxury hotels booking flights to Moscow tour to Prague from Odessa destinations on Lake Ladoga to buy flights to Nice Cheap Flights to Irkutsk mini hotel Dzhemete 2013 holiday tour to Spain three kingdoms Altai recreation photo where to buy airline tickets to Omsk where to buy tickets ... grace holiday for military retirees recreation underground recreation bebiblog buy ticket electronic recreation dawn in Zatoka in central Pattaya, a nice hotel leisure magazine recreation red stone booking tickets from Omsk flights to Venice Flights St. Petersburg Milan Book hotels in Georgia the best holiday for two Flights aktobe tickets vatican book tour for two days in Paris hotel booking ... Book hotels in Antalya youth recreation in Ukraine to buy tickets in Tambov flight reservations Moscow-New York hotel reservations in Pattaya cheap flights ozone Zhulyany Vienna hotel booking best time to holiday in Vietnam booking tickets s7 courses flights adler 2013 holiday sales price of international air ticket booking holidays in Thailand Pictures recreation alol Pskov recreation Koprino prices sitemap Ticketing Activities in Spain flight reservations work order tickets in Murmansk ticket buy cheap Moscow Krasnodar best hotels Magalluf selling air ticket booking Ayia Napa tour to Venice for the cost of airline reservation 6 months to book a bus ticket bus holiday in Thailand in 2013 prices for hotels in Bruges best hotels Crete recreation sailor dry gap cheap flights thailand recreation MFA Union
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius.
Your Friday nights sound about as exciting as mine!
I agree, everyone should take a holiday, but not necessarily to go somewhere else physically, go somewhere else mentally with a book, much cheaper and you can go anywhere, anytime, any place! x
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried and added a lot of hacks to this forum to get rid of bot, unfortunatly the people creating it are always programming new one. It's emptying the ocean with a buttomless bucket The only thing that can be done, though it's boring, is to go to the admin panel, check the activated users list and delete manually all the bots.
Also i regulary add new email provider in the ban list but it always change...
I still deal with the bots from time to time, feel free to try delting it Jeff as you got admin logging, if you are not sure of what you do feel free to ask, you can't do anything bad if you use the user admin menu, you be sure that you don't delete regular users.
I suggest you don't go playing with the others menu as you can easily delete the whole forum with a bad clic. Anyway feel free to ask if you want more infos.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Dav!
I can't remember if I actually got the admin log-in info from you or not, maybe you sent it to me in an email, I'll have to check.
It's crazy that there's such an endless escalating battle between programmers and scammers, for site security! What a pain! Who has the time to be forever dealing with this stuff??
Thanks for doing so much work to bail things out despite the bottomless bucket.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to log with your regular username and password, clic at the bottom of the page "go to admin panel".