Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

May Europe Tour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauragek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to the show in Amsterdam, I am só psyched! It's in the Paradiso. I love the Paradiso. Even though the show is in the middle of my final exams, I will go there, I can't miss it if Jeff comes to the Netherlands. Did it come across I'm excited yet?
niko66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What `bout Vienna, Munich????
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to go to Hay on Wye but I've got a wedding, ah! Never mind, next time. I always go to the literature festival, it's probably the best thing in the UK all year. And Hay is the most beautiful place, all cottages and smiles and there are random sheep that walk in the street....and lots and lots of book shops.
You all go and have loads of fun though!
xxxx
JohnDavidson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get to London on the 13th of may. Ill happily join you on one of the tours. im staying at the tune hote... If you have facebook, add me or send me a message..

===========
Ferie i Tyskland
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, here again is Amelia sounding like a normal human... except on closer inspection, in light of how her other posts turned spammy, this message from her might indeed be seen as spam, not an offer of friendship.

(BUT maybe somebody will have to venture to the "Tune Hote..." in London after May 13, to fling open the door and see if Amelia is a human or a robot!!)

(PS - I'm sorry I keep posting about this, I just think it's so odd that I've never seen spam exactly like this before, I wonder if the world is about to see more and more of this sort of thing, spammers with more human disguises)
lauragek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say that it's a spambot if there's a link in the post. In this case AMELIA has this weird "Ferie i Tyskland" link at the bottom of all her posts, so I guess she's a spambot? It IS a weird way to spam though. In some of her previous posts it was very clear the text was copy/pasted from Wikipedia, but this doesn't seem like something that would be copy/pasted from a Wikipedia page...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what's so weird about this Amelia spambot. Her emails'are sometimes very specific to the conversation at hand, like her above message about being in London and meeting up for "one of the tours." Is it possible for a spam program to "read" topics and write spam that is so fine-tuned to the topics being discussed on message boards? Or is it possible that Amelia IS a real person, working as a spammer, and she (or he) actually takes the time to read the boards he/she is spamming, so as to write more well-disguised marketing messages? This seems like a LOT of work to do, considering this is not such a high-traffic message board that it's really worth the effort, I mean if they're bothering to put so much effort into THIS board then who knows how many thousands or millions of boards of equally-sized readership they would also have to be putting energy into reading before spamming??
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a clever spam bot for sure.
lauragek

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm probably waaayyyy too late with this, you'll probably not see this until after, but Jeff, is there a way I can meet you a moment tomorrow in Amsterdam before or after the show? I would love to say hi for a moment, maybe you'll be at the merch table or something? Anyway, I wish you the best with your travel to the Netherlands and again I can't wait to see you play!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you managed to get to say hi! I usually see him around the venue or with the merch table at the end, so fingers crossed you ran into each other, I like the idea that you got to connect as well! I bet you'll have an amazing time, enjoy yourself! xxx