$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Watchmen prequels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Watchmen prequels Reply with quote

“The original series of ‘Watchmen’ is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell,” Gibbons said in a statement. “However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/02/01/watchmen-prequels-dc-dares-to-expand-on-classic/#/0

Love the picture of Alan Moore in this article.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a horrible idea. How redundant.

This smacked of hypocrisy to me:

“For comic-book fans, it’s the masterpiece, the classic that defines what you can do in a comic book, and you go back to it at your own risk,” Zack Snyder, director of the “Watchmen” film, said last year when asked about the rumored prequels. “To go back to it in any way is tough, and the challenge of adding to that story in any way is something that you need to get right or people are going to go nuts.”
kris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, yeah you're probably right. AM won't have anything to do with it. Sounds like he's pretty bitter about the whole thing, he doesn't even have a copy of Watchmen in his home. ...I'll probably still buy them though, they look kind of awesome. =P
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a terrible idea!
It's writers and artists that make great comic books, not the characters, so if these writers and artists were any good it wouldn't matter what characters they were doing comic books about. They'd already be creating new comic books as good as Watchmen if they could. There's nothing inherently great about any of those characters. In fact, Alan Moore has often made it a point to work with lots of extremely lame characters (Swamp Thing, Marvelman, the Charleston Comics superheroes that Watchmen were based on) just to show off the fact that a good writer will make a great product regardless of the characters.
But I suppose I'm not the target market for these new Watchmen comics anyway.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have an updated report on these Watchmen prequel comics? I still suspect they're probably not very good.

Meanwhile, I've been working every day since returning from tour on trying to finally get my Watchmen paper/book/lecture thing laid out and printed, it's been a back-burner project for so many years for me, I've got to just get it done! I am trying to learn the InDesign program, just starting from a couple of tips a friend gave me, I'm probably doing it all wrong...