$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Sepsis e-petition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Sepsis e-petition Reply with quote

Hi all

I hope you do not mind me adding a link to an e-petition which I have just added my name to - this post reads a little 'spammy' but is not intended to be as it is about me and a terrible thing that happened.

Last summer I developed a life threatening condition, sepsis after my immune system failed to respond to a bacterial infection, an infection I was completely oblivious to. I am usually fit, healthy and active and had absolutely no idea how ill I was, believing that the vomiting episode I had was a soon to pass tummy bug. 24 hours later I was in intensive care and didn't leave hospital for nearly 4 weeks. Given what I now know about sepsis and the associated complications, it is remarkable that I survived. I am however in the process of losing most of my toes which were starved of oxygen during this process. Thankfully my fingers have made a pretty good recovery.

This may not seem relevant to you, but according to the figures some 37,000 people in the UK die each year as a result of sepsis, many of whom are fit and healthy individuals who simply do not recognise the signs, much like me. Moreover early treatment is key and yet what is known to be effective is not consistently delivere. There needs to be a move towards greater awareness and recognition of sepsis within the medical establishment. That is why I think it would be hugely beneficial if sepsis is established as a medical emergency and clinical priority within the NHS, hence the link to the petition which has been put together by then UK Sepsis Trust charity.

Thanks! Will aim for a cheerier Jeff related post next time!

Karen

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19602
http://www.sepsistrust.org/
http://www.sepsisalliance.org/
jack fe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologise! I'm so sorry to hear of your health problems. It seems crazy that this isn't recognised as serious as it sounds.
I'm very glad you're making a relatively good recovery so far. I've signed and am sharing it around.
Thank you for sharing.
kap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, thank you!

I see Comus are considering another London gig in April. I really enjoyed the Borderline gig but can't make up my mind if seeing them again might lack some of the magic which was present seeing them perform for the first time afer all those years, what do you think? Silly really as this is not a logic I usually apply having seen some of my favourite musicians repeatedly, although I think the new material Comus played hadn't developed any, so perhaps that's why.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with you there.

I enjoyed the show very much, but mostly for the thrill of seeing Comus playing First Utterance (the new songs were nice but they're not exactly churning them out).

I don't usually go to shows for that kind of familiarity, I prefer to be surprised and challenged. That's one of the reasons I'm happy to see Jeffrey (and many others) play over and over again.
Although, even after many listens, those First Utterance songs can still be surprising and challenging...
If its at a nice venue, I might think about it, and if they start considering the option of playing songs from To Keep From Crying!!! I know that's an unpopular decision. It's so different from the first album but just as wonderful!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed, just for you honey xxx
kap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou! Very much appreciated! The numbers are creeping up...

Noticing your Dr Seuss quote, our children seem to be really enthusiastic about his stories at the moment (as am I) and we've been enjoying the Happy Birthday book
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is noone alive who is youer than you"

Thank you again!