$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Has everyone survived the storms?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauragek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Has everyone survived the storms? Reply with quote

So, today here in the Netherlands we've had about 10 minutes of very intense thunderstorm with hail. The winter still hasn't arrived yet with temperatures still above 10 degrees Celsius. However, the weather report tells me that is nothing compared to the UK and New York. How are you all coping? Still alive and everything?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still alive here (collective booing heard, I know) - my area is fine, just cold and rainy, but people have died here over the past few weeks. A local pier where I go in the summer to walk and generally de-stress is nearly under the sea, and a friend saw her neighbours house go up in flames tonight after being struck by lightening. Scary stuff.
Luckily I have a roof and central heating and warm clothes and the New York Dolls on BBC4 so personally it could be worse.
xxxx
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very cold in NYC!! And last night there was a snow storm too, not a huge one, but it was a snowy night. It was very frustrating because I need to rehearse with my band before we record this weekend, I have time booked at the recording studio on Saturday and SUnday, but we have barely rehearsed in weeks... so FINALLY we were going to do a rehearsal last night, and I dragged all my gear over the place in Brooklyn but the snow was coming down pretty heavily already and my bassist has to drive all the way back to another part of Brooklyn after rehearsal so we just cancelled rehearsal instead of making her drive home late in snowy conditions. So then we all just turned around and went back home with no rehearsal, in the snow and cold, there was no point in traveling out to the rehearsal space in the first place! I guess we'll still record this weekend anyway... I was considering canceling the recordings... but I'd rather at least try.
Another factor of the current freezing weather is that sometimes when this happens, the creatures outdoors try to all come inside... so I saw this horrible gigantic crawling long bug monster on my kitchen wall, some kind of huge silverfish or millipede or something, tons of legs and wires and antennae and wavy long stuff, really disgusting and terrifying! Never seen anything like it! I think it was just trying to come indoors from the cold. I had to smash it with my shoe, the thought of that thing running around my house freaks me out. I hope I never see another one of those things in my life!
Also our old friend Thelma, AKA Hamlet on this messageboard, has been without heat in her apartment for a month, it is really criminal... her landlord has not fixed the boiler in her building, it's a serious problem, on a weekend like this that's basically life-threatening. She has been able to stay with her sister but that can't go on forever. What landlord decides to have no boiler/heat in the coldest part of the year?? If he's going to replace the boiler you obviously do that in the summertime when nobody notices if there's no boiler in the building for a month... I think Thelma should really take the landlord to court about this, it's terrible.
Now I'm going to go to bed and read more of Greil Marcus's "Lipstick Traces" about the Sex Pistols... has anybody read that book? Maybe I should start a separate discussion thread for that...
Keep warm everybody, please!! Wool socks!!
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are yet to see snow in Cardiff, I feel sorry for you, it isn't easy weather to get on with life in. I look forward to this recording though, if it happens.
I'm sorry too that you have creatures moving in, rent free as well! Again this hasn't been seen in my locality yet but I have enough animals to clean up after so no more are really welcome.
Hamlet should definitely get a legal case going, in this country it would be illegal, and also she could refuse to pay rent until it's done too. Not sure about yours, but that is unacceptable and I would fully support it. Probably even a stern letter from a lawyer would motivate them to sort it out.
Lipstick Traces is great, I have a copy on my bookshelf. I hope you like it as much as I do.
Got my warm socks on, don't worry! x
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today New York City was covered in slippery thin sheets of ice... every street was totally treacherous to walk on! Everybody was taking very slow careful steps everywhere you looked... and now it's after midnight and raining again... this will either finally get rid of that city-wide ice sheet or if the temperature drops it'll just freeze into a new fresh sheet of ice on top of everything!!
lauragek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the weather doesn't want New York to move around anymore... Try not to break anything! Here it's like it is october, not january. Above 10°C, little bit of rain sometimes and quite some wind. I wonder when our winter´s going to start and how.... Let´s hope it´s going to be easy on us.
Ah well, time to go to uni and queue up for some new books...