$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Sketchbooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Sketchbooks Reply with quote

I know I've asked this before, but I figured I'd give it another shot because I'd really like to know... does anyone know if Jeff has published (photocopied?) any of his sketchbooks? I keep looking at the intro pages that he has up on his site (the intro stuff with Rom is flipping great) and I'd (really) like to see the rest...
andylips

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, nothing has been published, yet. but here's some info on his older work..in 2010 i saw jeff in london doing an In Conversation with a slideshow going through all of his sketchbooks, he does 1 to 2 sketchbooks a year. they were amazing. last time i talked to jeff he was thinking about publishing some of his older comics (Trip to Keywest??) I think he was especially talking about the "Come to my show" comic, but in general, publishing comics before Fuff. The sketchbooks are good of course but I can understand why Jeff wouldn't want to publish them, there's no real story to them, it's just doodles (very good doodles, but doodles) I think it's just to keep jeff motivated to draw frequently and to improve with his drawing skills. He also does a self portrait of himself for each sketchbook on the last page, i thought that was a cool funny idea. But I agree, Jeff should publish everything he makes, he really is a great artist, in every meaning of the word.

also, i remember jeff showing the audience portraits of people he drew while on the train. he said it was hard to do without them noticing. and then they would move around or get off the train and so the portraits were always half human/half creature/ octopus. they were awesome.
kris

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Andy-
Thanks for the reply! Do you know if a video of the "In Conversation" stuff can be found on the web anywhere? I didn't really expect there to be a whole structured story or even a theme to the sketchbooks, I'm just kind of nosy and like to look through personal unedited stuff like that- it's kind of like reading someone's diary. I can understand artists wanting to keep their sketch books private for a couple of reasons, but if he's made it public, I'd like to see.... going to search youtube. Thanks again.
andylips

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly i dont think there are any pictures or videos from the event, it felt too..intimate to take photos/videos? but maybe it's something jeff would do again in the future! ask him about it! good luck!