$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Lee Noble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Lee Noble Reply with quote

I'm kind of a sucker for this kind of stuff and it might not appeal to anyone else here, but I've been reading this thread on the drowned in sound message board (Ferware [Weirdo mega-thread]), and they've got a lot of great links posted. My favorite right now is Lee Noble- he does experimental drone-based stuff, actually the tags on his bandcamp page are: ambient analog avant garde drone folk lo-fi noise psych.

I don't really know anything about the ambient genre, like if admitting that you're into it makes you an idiot. (Actually, according to Nick Hornby, I guess it does. I read his interview for Radiohead's Kid A, and he basically says that you do, in fact, have to be an idiot to enjoy ambient drone. So..)

So, nevermind. Don't listen to this.

This video's pretty cool though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJCiXc-ZoA&feature=channel_video_title

http://leenoble.bandcamp.com/album/no-becoming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vw9FRpPd34
kris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Is anyone listening to anything great right now?
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a listen now hun, I haven't heard of him before...
I'm not listening to anything great, I'm waiting until tomorrow when it's my birthday and I get my copy of Bright Eye's The People's Key on double vinyl and can stick it on and not turn it off for about 10 years. Yey! As it is, at this moment I'm watching (well, listening to vaguely) The Wright Stuff (current affairs programme with a sense of humour that's on every weekday morning and helps me feel connected to the world), so no music plays. xxx
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the video best, the song was ok but being currently sober I felt like I couldn't enjoy it as much as I could have when under the influence. But the video was good, thanks for sharing, I will watch the other ones now! xx
kris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen,

You are absolutely right. I felt like an idiot right after posting that because I knew I was just getting suckered into something I wasn't entirely sure about.. It kind of sounds like a watered down Radiohead song, but I'm still pulling for the guy because he seems so dedicated.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the birthday songs, hope they didn't seem too grim... I was going to add Morrissey's Unhappy Birthday, but I was worried you'd think I meant it to be taken literally, so I decided against it.

I've never heard of The Wright Stuff. It's a news broadcast? I actually made myself quit listening to NPR and essentially any news outside my apartment because it was getting to the point that I couldn't sleep at night, I was in constant fear, which is a seriously miserable way to live. So now I choose ignorance. woot.

Right now I'm listening to this. I'm pretty sure it doesn't suck.
Xenakis - Psappha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yge7GNl5p_k

and I just discovered This Guy when i did a youtube search for Sebadoh- "On Fire".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UgV84kaBI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV7B4UyUSuY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8r_nrl3iU&NR=1
I can't tell if it's an act....
AFB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went onto YouTube to find a suitable video of The Wright Stuff that shows how horrible and ridiculous it is and was annoyed to find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dqkpQpEEa0

I actually agreed with the presenter - bottled water is largely, bullshit, doesn't mean there isn't some bad things about tap water, but in this country there's a tremendous amount of rules and regulations that largely prevent contamination - whereas the bottled water industry has hardly any.

And then his last comment reminded me what a massive asshole he is and what a horrible, horrible show it really is, so I'm back at peace now.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED my birthday songs, they were so thoughtful, not grim at all, it made me really happy and I felt special, as they were my favourites and you did them just for little old me! I wouldn't have been offended about the Smiths song. I actually dedicated it to my ex about 8 years ago on his birthday. He dumped me for 'reading too many books'. What a loser.
The Wright Stuff is on here every weekday morning from 9:15-11 and it's pretty much how I start every day. They talk about what's in the papers that day and have phone ins and stuff...I'm not doing it justice at all as it sounds pretty dull and like a million other programmes, but it really is very funny and a great way to stay vaguely connected to the world when you rarely leave the house! There's a load of bits of it on youtube or on www.five.tv/wrightstuff if you're that interested!
I'm listening to The People's Key by Bright Eyes about a million times a day, as I got the lovely heavy vinyl of it for my birthday, it's such an amazing album. Envy that beautiful, clever and poetic angel! xx
kris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your ex- he does kind of sound like a jerk. I had a guy dump me like ten years ago (for all the right reasons though) and it completely destroyed me, but I think it was probably for the best because I was forced to seriously re-examine who I was and who I wanted to be and then rebuild.. (I still think he's a loser though, so I can sympathize)

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning was my morning soundtrack for an entire semester when I lived in St. Louis. I had to take the train over the river every morning to get to my little hick community college in Illinois, but I'd put my headphones in right as I was walking out the back door (I had moved into my Mom's basement after being on my own for about 5 years) and I'd get on my bike and ride up to the train station and the city just felt so sad and amazing and the sun would be coming up and the sky would be orange or pink and it always felt like life was so Grand. On my way back from school the sidewalks always "held diamonds like a jewelry store case".

It's actually kind of amusing that I have such fond memories of that place because I fucking hated living there. I left before the year was over because my mom and I can't coexist and also because I was terrified that I was going to get murdered because every other week something awful would happen. Thinking back now though, it holds some of my most distinct memories, so..

..But Bright Eyes. yeah. It's been like 8 years since I've listened to that cd. And I also owned a mixed cd of a bunch of his tortured-teenaged-Prep-School-alcoholic-kid stuff. that was a real blast to listen to when I was feeling a little masochistic. What does his stuff sound like these days? Is he still making albums under the Bright Eyes name? I heard a few of his Mystic Valley Band songs online, but I don't even remember now if I liked them.
misshelenc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi love
Bright Eyes does stuff under a load of different names, there's only one desparicidos album but that's amazing, and he does some self titled records too. The BE stuff is best. I have the Mystic Valley album but don't listen to it much; it's good, better than most people's good, but not his best. I like him being all tortured and miserable. He just writes so beautifully about sadness and politics, my favourite things for songs to be about Smile
The People's Key is in the BE name, after he made it he said that would be the last of them, but he's since confirmed there will be more of his BE stuff so yey for that. I'm pretty sure that's what sells the best, and while he's established, I assume he has to pay the bills like the rest of us so it's worth chucking out another record in a few months or years!
I'm glad you like IWAIM, it's a gorgeous record, so many great songs. I liked hearing your memories of it. I used to play it in the car on my way to visit my mum and it'd be all sunny and I'd sing really, really loud and life all felt a bit carefree. I'm glad too your life has picked up a bit now!
I'm listening to TPK as we speak. It's just great. Of my top 3 artists, I haven't had a new record by any of them since November, and that didn't really count as it was a live record so I already knew all the songs, so I'm very greatful to have some words to learn xxx