$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Laura Marling......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Laura Marling...... Reply with quote

Just wondering if you guys are familiar with Laura Marling and what the general opinion is. I only found out about her like three days ago and I've been youtubing her nonstop since and I just saw a headline about her winning the Brit Award. (Is this the UK's equivalent to the Grammy?) Is she the new big thing over there? I don't really know much about her; she seems legit, but also maybe too innocent for the mainstream.
jack fe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She always seems nice enough. She's been on the UK scene since 2007. My biggest problem with her music is that it pretty shamelessly takes ideas, phrases and melodies from Diane Cluck records (which I urge everyone to hunt down, they are wonderful!), and is hailed as hugely original.
I wouldn't say she's a big thing. Your average person wouldn't have heard of her, but she's bigger than the "alternative" or "indie" scenes. She'll play to about 1000 people generally.

I'm fairly indifferent to her music generally, but she has a couple of great songs. Once I fell asleep on my feet during one of her shows (but I hadn't slept in a while).

The Brits are as close as we have to the Grammys, but not anywhere near as credible, aimed at a much younger audience (although I hear that this year they're trying to buck that trend).
jefflewis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or should Diane Cluck really be a level or three above her status as basically unknown? The last couple times I saw her play there were about 20 people at each show. I have all of her albums and I see her play every chance I get, and every time I take somebody to one of her shows they are really impressed and can't understand why she isn't more known. I'm not saying she should be playing stadiums, but if Laura Marling can play to 1,000 people a night you'd think Diane could be playing to 200 a night instead of 20?
kris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know much about Diane except that her songs are amazing. She blows me away, but I kind of got the impression that maybe she wanted to remain underground and keep her soul... Is that completely off? She seems kind of reclusive and it's almost impossible to find any info on her and I thought maybe that was intentional. If not, I think she might start to get more recognition if LM gets big because she mentions her a lot. (Is Diane signed to a label, why isn't anyone promoting her?)
kap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw Diane Cluck play at the Cube, Bristol around 2004 it was one of those perfect times when you see an act whom you have never heard before who really touches you. I have a few of her records bought since I picked up Oh Vanille / Ova Nil at that gig, and a couple of these fall into repetitive play, much to the disapproval of man about the house who considers this to be 'for girls' despite not being a man as an island type. A combination of grace and the quality of a voice which perfectly melds delicacy and fortitude should absolutely draw many more followers.

I guess I would have thought that said modest following was mostly to do with not wishing to lose oneself in the industry machine or instead concerned with the business of a life in parallel.

Whilst thinking about Diane I heard River for the first time recently which is incredible, what an edifying place that shack in Maine must be.
christian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I came across a youtube video of Laura Marling and one of the Mumford people performing in Amsterdam. It was a high quality recording, it must have been recorded for TV, and in this video they performed "Alas I cannot swim" and a cover of the Kimya Dawson song "5 years". It was really great and I watched it many times.

Coming across this thread made me look it up again, but alas it seems to be gone.