FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Private Press
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet but i'll go dig the internet for it right away!

i've downloaded a couple of other private press lp but they weren't as great as The Dandelions or Eddie Callahan.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha when looking for some "press release" and some artits names using google you find this topic in the firsts results.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally managed to find Virgin insanity and Peter Grudzien...

The virgin Insanity album is quite amazing, the opener song is really good, the whole lp is great....i love the home recording feel of it, the way the drums are sometimes a bit off rhythm.
I also like Livin life a lot.

It's one of the best private press lp i heard so far.

The Peter Grudzien is also really nice, very lo-fi too, it has some crazy production on some songs, got a Johnny Cash feel from time to time, like a Johnny Cash on Lsd maybe. It's a mental album, i really love it!

It's amazing to hear all these LP that people recorded on their own, i'm still digging around to find some more of it, i don't like all of it but i'm pleasently surprised most of the time.

I'm really glad you share all these private press thing with us Jeffrey, i got to admit i'm getting more and more bored about over prduced music and it's really what i needed to hear these days.

These artists had no record labels or managers behind them holding their creativity, and you can really hear this freedom sweating out of the speakers, i can't help imagine what would Syd Barrett would have done with this kind of freedom.....

I haven't been abble to find the Virgil Caine lp yet, still digging.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these private press albums certainly revitalized my love of finding more music at a time when I wasn't very excited to find things, you know when you start feeling like you've heard everything good and there's no where else to look...

I'm so glad you like the Virgin Insanity and Peter Grudzien stuff. I think Virgin Insanity was really best when I first heard it, though I still think it's a very special album, I can't listen to it too much, I have to be in the right mood. But Peter Grudzien's Unicorn album was a record that I didn't think much of on the first listens but it has really come to be a favorite after months of re-listening.

I think the Virgil Caine album is very hard to find, even on blogs. It was on a blog for a short time but it was taken down because somebody told the blogger that there was a legal re-issue on the way that people would be able to buy to support the original band. This was a couple years ago I think, and so far the re-issue seems not to have happened. I have a CDR of the album from a friend in Texas who is a serious record collector (he owns original copies of a lot of these records, like Virgin Insanity! ). If you can't find Virgil Caine I can mail you a burned disc of it. It's not really a "crazy" record, much more "normal" folk rock than anything psychedelic or freaky, but it has a very nice home-made sound and very nice songs. It has some of that special "lost" feeling that seems to only come from these types of records, like Dandelions and Virgin Insanity, the feeling like you are tuning into a weak signal from a lost radio station from somewhere far away...

Another classic private press album is Simon Finn's "Pass The Distance" - it got a major CD reissue a few years ago with bonus tracks and got lots of good reviews in magazines and Simon Finn went on tour to promote it etc, and started working with Current 93 (an 80s-90s-modern band I really like). So Simon Finn is not really obscure anymore but the record is worth getting, and the CD should not be very hard to find.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if he would count, as he's had a few records put out over the years, and several reissues and compilations, but R. Stevie Moore is always cranking out great homemade records.
I always find his stuff so tragic/comic. He deserves to be so much more well known than he is, and doesn't choose to be a huge figurehead in underground self-releases. But it seems like it'll always stay that way.

He's so sincere about just wanting to get well known and finally make some money. Irina ordered some stuff from him a while ago, and a handwritten note came with the package saying:
"Thanks! Hope you enjoy. Please come back again $oon / often"

I wont post any album links because they're all easy enough to order from him. All 400 albums. Definitely an artist to support.
rich amino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all, first post blues. i work for cherry red records in london, and thought i'd mention we recently reissued the mellow candle lp: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/mellowcandle.php - you're right, its not as good as it sounds like it should be.

another diy private press type i love is r stevie moore. total genius, a real legend in his own lunchtime. x
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich amino wrote:
hello all, first post blues. i work for cherry red records in london, and thought i'd mention we recently reissued the mellow candle lp: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric/artists/mellowcandle.php - you're right, its not as good as it sounds like it should be.

That's great i'll go check it.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dav,
in reaction to your thoughts above about Syd Barrett, I've been rediscovering the Syd albums recently, haven't listened to them straight through in a while, and it really does make an interesting comparison with these private press records. Syd was in a rare situation, he was as unique and idiosyncratic as these obscure private press people but he had the access to top-quality recording studios and he was being produced by perfectionists like Roger Waters and David Gilmour, plus having top-quality backing musicians providing the drums and bass and guitar overdubs and other things... so it really is sort of nice, it's like hearing what Peter Grudzien might have sounded like if he had been produced with a lot of money... of course the home-made productions of private press records is part of what sounds so good about them.

Other private press recommendations you might like:

The Index (garage rock band from Michigan, with 2 albums, the first album with the black cover is the good one - mostly cover songs, plus some instrumentals, but a nice lo-fi sound that makes it a little creepier than a normal cover band... plus that black album cover, with weird photo, adds to the mystique... actually I think this album would not sound nearly as good if the album cover art was bright and colorful! Funny how that happens sometimes.)

The Rising Storm - 'Calm Before' (This is a sort of famous one, a rock band with some good covers and some good originals, nice mix of folk and garage rock and pop, with great musicians and great singing but nice warm lo-fi sound... I'm a little annoyed that the new Ariel Pink single and video is a note-for-note perfect exact cover of a recording from this album but nobody seems to know this! )

Stephen David Heitkotter (sort of a blues jam album, which usually would seem to be a terrible idea, but it has strange/bad playing, strange vocals, strange words, and strange lo-fi recording quality, so the atmosphere is actually more interesting and compelling than a blues jam album should be!)
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check for all these lp, thanks Jeffrey.

Did you hear the 20 minutes Rahmadan from Syd Barrett last best of cd (actually buying the cd will get you a code to get the song on line, that really sucks cos it's the only new song out there)
Anyway it's really really good.
They should have put Scream thy last scream and vegetable man on the cd, that's a shame....
Glowworm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack fe wrote:
Does anyone else have a strong opinion on Jandek?

I seem to remember listening to Jandek on last.fm, then again by downloading from the internet (as much as I think it would be cool to have to write a letter to get his music, a simple google search gives me the same results; yeah I know it's dirt cheap and downloading it is backwards to what he's all about, but what are you gonna do :\). But I definitely remember loving his stuff! It was some of the most obscure folk-ish sounding stuff I've ever listened to. I don't even know how to describe his chords / guitar playing with the vocals behind it. It sounds like someone smashing glass inside your head. Really vivid and real how he expresses that particular emotion and overall feeling from just music.

I was really surprised when his stuff came up on last.fm though. Considering you have to write him a letter to get a cd and his record label only puts out his music and nothing else (does he own the label? is it just him and he calls his DIY stuff a record label? It's odd), you would think he would be against allowing things like pandora or last.fm to use his work. I'm not judging him or anything, it just seemed weird that he came up.
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More private press album recommendations!
Here's a couple others I've been really into which I don't remember if I mentioned before, now findable via blog downloads or actually buyable as downloads from iTunes or elsewhere:

Madrigal (some lo-fi electric guitar free-jams and some lo-fi acoustic guitar songs, all distinguished from the normal by using a drum machine instead of real drummer - the jams are a bit pointless but the songs are nice, the early 70s primitive Suicide/Young Marble Giants drum machine is cool, and all tracks have a good weird "private press" atmosphere)

The New Creation - "Troubled" (very funny/disturbing/awful Christian folk rock with good songwriting, lovably bad vocals and off-time Shaggs-style musicianship, and a couple amusing fake psychedelic touches. )
jefflewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, no, I haven't heard that Rhamadan track, I remember having a noisy track on an old Syd Barrett bootleg with that title but I didn't trust it was the real thing.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i got a couple of fake rhamadan from these bootlegs too, nothing to do with the real one...
jefflewis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw in a record shop there's a brand new official reissue of The Index, both albums plus previously unreleased stuff, all in one CD package, probably with full booklet/info. That's good, because even the bootleg reissues have been really difficult to find! And I'm curious to hear the unreleased stuff.