$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Ish Marquez / Stanley Brinks / David Beauchamp / UK TOUR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drummer_dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Ish Marquez / Stanley Brinks / David Beauchamp / UK TOUR Reply with quote

Hey Y'all,

I haven't checked up on the board in a while, but I have been really enjoying it here right now. Some of the videos and reports from this tour were pretty exciting. Denton, TX was super unexpectedly cool. There have been a few surprise hits on this long grueling US tour. Who knew we had some die hard fans in Memphis Tennessee, Melbourne Florida, and Greenville North Carolina (look out for videos from that one, crazy house show last night!)? How do they know about us?

And I especially like the thread on guesses about what's on the next (almost 98% done, April release?) album. We've been debating about the final touches on this tour, but it's really almost ready to be mastered. And it is mostly stuff that was recorded like 2 years ago. Jeff and our friend Mark Ospovot in Brooklyn have done an amazing job on it mixing it. It sounds awesome. The one tragedy is that unfortunately there isn't a good Wait It Out recording to go on it.Green

But that's not what I am here to talk about. I have been working hard on booking and promoting a UK tour for NYC antifolk legend Ish Marquez. It's coming up soon and I am so excited about it. Jeff and I have been seeing Ish perform since we were in high school, and he's just always been one of the most amazing and unique performers that I have ever known.

I will be backing him up on drums and on bass is Stanley Brinks (aka André Herman Dune). Stanley is also doing solo sets. These are two of my favorite musicians in the world and the chance to ply with them is like a dream come true.

Here are the dates:

November:
21 : London : Anti-Folk UK festival at 12 Bar
22 : Coventry : The Tin Angel
23 : Nottingham : Rosy Lee's
24 : TBA
25 : Norwich : Crypt below Take Five
26 : Manchester : Tiger Lounge
27 : Birmingham Bar Academy (opening for Jeffrey Lewis)
28 : Edinburgh : Henry's Cellar Bar (late show 11pm)
29 : Carlisle : The Brickyard (opening for Jeffrey Lewis)
30 : Brighton : The Hope
December:
1 : London, Islington : Nambucca (w/ Congregation, Freschard)
2 : London, Clerckenwell : The Betsey Trotwood (w/ Phil King!, Thee Intolerable Kidd, Extradition Order)
3 : London, Euston : St Aloysius Church (opening for The Wave Pictures)

Radio:

BB6 Music : Marc Riley's Brain Surgery : 26 November : 7:00-9:00 pm
Resonance 104.4 FM : The Hello Goodbye show : 22 November : 12:00 - 1:30 pm

html://www.myspace.com/ishmarquez

Any one who wants a big comment flyer on their myspace page, friend me at:
www.myspace.com/bobonyc Full Name : David Beauchamp

If you have any suggestions on how to spread the word, let me know.

Here are some of the plugs from friends about Ish:

Jeffrey Lewis: "Ish is one of the most amazing and unique artists I know, a true soul-singing star of the underground and unlike anything you've ever experienced. I've been rabidly attending his shows in NYC for ages, you must not miss the rare chance to see him in the UK!!"

Adam Green (Moldy Peaches): "A profound soul-singer of a rare breed... Ish Marquez commands an ancient voice and a groovy and unique guitar style. His recordings are hidden-treasures of the antifolk community."

Turner Cody: "It's a humbling experience to watch a room full of people watch Ish sing. He sings to be heard. He sings as if he is reaching out into the audience to make a connection with everyone who is listening."

Regina Spektor: "Ish Marquez is a unique and talented musician, and everyone should take the time to hear him live."

Anders Griffen (ex-drummer for Jeffrey Lewis and also for Ish Marquez): "Middle Eastern Gypsy meets Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan with elements of doo-wop and punk, but I can't imagine anyone getting a sense of Ish's music from any description’….‘Ish is totally consumed with the music when it’s time to play. Sometimes he would turn around during a show and look at me like he never saw me before.”

Only Son: "It's been nine years since I first heard Ish Marquez's music and I still can't take my ears off him. How does he do it? Nobody knows. But everyone who's heard him has taken as big a piece as they've been able to. The music of Ish Marquez is as important to me as any of my favorites singers and guitar players of all time. If there's justice in the world millions of people will know his songs."

Stanley Brinks (aka André Herman Düne): “…then I went to New York City on my own, talked to strangers, heard Ish Marquez sing…. I quit reading and started making a living out of writing songs and playing shows.”
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dave!

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the show in Hull (at the Adelphi) wasn't finalised? I picked up a flier there when I saw Major Matt a week or two back and it had you guys pencilled in for the 25th...

I'm really sad about that.
chocabloc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withered Hand are support for the Edinburgh show. They're pretty good, should be a cool night.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hull show is officially NOT happening. Sob.