$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

NME ARTICLE ABOUT JEFFREY!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabalbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: NME ARTICLE ABOUT JEFFREY! Reply with quote

STOP THE PRESSES!

I actually stopped buying NME a couple of months ago (after getting it religiously from the age of 13) but decided to have a peek at it in a newsagents today. I noticed that there was a review of the Juno soundtrack (and a picture of kimya) so I bought it. When I got home me and Nic were flicking through a little scornfully. At the side of a page I noticed a Jeff-like comic. I exclaimed such to Nic and turned to the page. As we opened it we both screamed really loudly. There's a double page spread (with a HUGE picture) about Jeff by Tim Jonze. It's a pretty nice interview (nothing new is said), although it seemed to focus on details that are pretty insignificant (I just never saw the DIY thing as a big deal, but apparently other people do).

Basically, it freaked me the fuck out.

I think it's last week's one, so I'm happy to scan it if anyone wants a peek. Sooooo weird.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice, even if the nme is basically crap in my opinion....could be great if you can scan this.
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dav, the NME is generally crap, but this was a nice and well written article.
fabalbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How to lose friends and alienate people" What a terrible title!

Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on Jeffs page that there was a big article in NME but I didn't manage to get a copy on time Sad

www.myspace.com/will_oldham_horror
morgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comic.
fabalbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still pondering over the title. I don't think Jeff's music makes him lose friends at all! And the "alienate people" is just the opposite of what actually happens when people listen to his music. Is it meant to be ironic? Am I missing something? Is it a reference to something that I have no knowledge of?
ema

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha ! funny picture

i don't really get the title either

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"jeffrey lewis makes you want to hug the clouds with joy" Oh good grief!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hamlet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this article and picture too. The title is the reversal of a classic' 1950s(?) Dale Carnegie self-help book called "How to Win Friends and Influence people." Basically it's a book about how to bullshit, con and manipulate people in the business world to make a financial success of yourself, or how to psych people out in relationships . All these selfish games Jeffrey has refused to play, and yet in his own honest and admirable way , he is getting his art across. If he is losing friends and alienating people, it's only the business types who might want to exploit him, market him, or can , freeze or dilute his art for mass public consumption. Maybe the writer just wanted to be provocative with the title so everybody would say that's not true.

Last edited by hamlet on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a wonderful picture - my second favourite (after the ice skating one, which I've now got printed off and secreted in my wallet).

See recent posts on the OJ messageboard about the recent mainstream exposure given to Kimya Dawson - it seems like everyone is feeling a bit mixed up about "our" music getting mainstream exposure. This is what Kimya herself had to say about the media hoo-ha surrounding the Juno soundtrack:

"You guys wouldn't believe how many old white dudes have been trying to get me to "join the establishment", "sign a fat publishing to provide a good life" for my poor child, "go into a REAL studio and record a SWEET greatest hits album to release on a REAL label", "get a half mil by simply writing a song for wal-mart".

I think I am killing them.

I think everything about me, from how I sound to how I look to how I don't give a crud about their filthy money, makes them crazy.

They know I won't change for them and they hate it. Poor old critics. Whatever. It's always been about the kids. "

I know Jeff would no doubt say the same. At a recent Leeds show he told the story of how he had been approached by Samsung to use one of his songs in a TV ad and how conflicted he had been about the amount of money they were offering. In the end they withdrew the offer before he could make his mind up...
fabalbert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamlet wrote:
I love this article and picture too. The title is the reversal of a classic' 1950s(?) Dale Carnegie self-help book called "How to Win Friends and Influence people." Basically it's a book about how to bullshit, con and manipulate people in the business world to make a financial success of yourself, or how to psych people out in relationships . All these selfish games Jeffrey has refused to play, and yet in his own honest and admirable way , he is getting his art across. If he is losing friends and alienating people, it's only the business types who might want to exploit him, market him, or can , freeze or dilute his art for mass public consumption. Maybe the writer just wanted to be provocative with the title so everybody would say that's not true.

Excellent! I thought I was probably missing something. It was an appreciative interview for sure, I just sometimes find it a little odd when the way Jeffrey operates is seen as a novelty or something. The picture and the comic are great though.
jack fe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

"You guys wouldn't believe how many old white dudes have been trying to get me to "join the establishment", "sign a fat publishing to provide a good life" for my poor child, "go into a REAL studio and record a SWEET greatest hits album to release on a REAL label", "get a half mil by simply writing a song for wal-mart".

I think I am killing them.

I think everything about me, from how I sound to how I look to how I don't give a crud about their filthy money, makes them crazy.

They know I won't change for them and they hate it. Poor old critics. Whatever. It's always been about the kids. "

I know Jeff would no doubt say the same. At a recent Leeds show he told the story of how he had been approached by Samsung to use one of his songs in a TV ad and how conflicted he had been about the amount of money they were offering. In the end they withdrew the offer before he could make his mind up...

My god, I fucking love that woman. She's so inspiring.

And I had a look on the OJ board the other week. It seemed like most people were totally with Kimya (even if it's crazy as hell seeing how huge it's all getting), but with one or two real idiots complaining that they weren't as successful. It wasn't anyone good, so it's okay. Wink
Doctor Tongue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: I'm reading a bit into this... Reply with quote

fabalbert wrote:
I'm still pondering over the title. I don't think Jeff's music makes him lose friends at all! And the "alienate people" is just the opposite of what actually happens when people listen to his music. Is it meant to be ironic? Am I missing something? Is it a reference to something that I have no knowledge of?

hamlet wrote:

Eight years ago, I used to tell this funny joke, and Jeff definitely heard it. I used to say that I was writing my autobiography/self-help book.
"Do you have a title for it?" , he would ask.
And I would reply,
"Yes I do. It's called, 'How to Make Enemies and Lose Credibility.'"

So when I saw that NME article, I wondered if Jeff recalled the joke. Even if not, there is something memorably funny about the original book title. I can easily see someone else conceiving the same manuvuer.