Jeff Lewis Forum Index
$1.75 US
$1.95 CAN
Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

BRIXTON WINDMILL - 10/2/2006 REVIEW (23/2/06 -REVIEW PG 4!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Oldham
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Bugger, Im tired and i promised myself that I'd go to bed when I got in but the truth is I've just seen Jeff play at the windmill, brixton for the second time in 13 days and its left me on to much of a high, so I guess its time to write....

BRIXTON WINDMILL - REVIEW PART 2!!! 23/2/06, THE SECOND COMING!

well I got a shock right from the start. Me and a mate had picked our spot right in front of the stage (I was determined not to end up stuck behind a row of unusually tall guys again!), and sat (on the edge of the stage) patiently awaiting the first support. A guy from the 'dirty little faces' got on stage and started unpacking his bass which seem like an ideal time to get my round in at the bar. suddenly in a short space of time,( made longer by the bar staff not seeing me!) Jeff, Jack and Dave were on stage starting up and a tightly packed crowd were assembled in front of it, bugger! fotunatly I manged to work my way back to my spot with in the first song to enjoy a short set by the opening act, The JACK Lewis band! as it turned out (Jeff confirmed to me later) the band that were billed to open had dropped out for some reason and Jack came to the rescue. (A true hero!) Jeff played stooped over his guitar for the set with the hood of his sweat shirt up, In what appeared to me as a gesture to stay in the background and not draw focus from his brother.

The dirty little faces played second support with an acomplished set and a tightness which we found out was down to then having been together for 7 years now, they were enjoyable enough though in my book nothing special ( I feel I might be being a little harsh saying that).

Finaly, what we'd all been waiting for, The Jeff Lewis band. and they were awesome once more!

Jeff opened with a beautiful version of had it all which made me appriciate that song so much more than i ever had before.

This was followed by the singing tree where I noticed Dave on drums firstly poured some beer from his bottle until he found a suitable pitch and then acompanied the song by blowing across the bottle. He then came in with the drums and played the bass drum with one foot pedall, the cymbal with another pedal, shook a rattle with one hand and worked a slide whistle with the other -a multi tasking master lol

Next came you don't have to be a scientist to do experiments where half way though the song jeff lent over a crate and it looked like he was trying to read something until i suddenly realised that whist still playing his guitar he was actually using the machine heads at the end of the neck of his guitar to play notes and slide up and down on the keyboard!!!

Songs played that I remember to night were;

If life exists
Deer in the woods
something good ( I think He played this)
If you shoot the head you kill the ghoul
posters
the singing tree
anxiety attack
time machine
art land
they always new
had it all
the compleate history of punk on new yorks lower east side
alphebet
no lsd tonight
texas
I saw a hippie girl on eighth avenue (LOW BUDGET VIDEO)
The complete hisory of communism PART 3 ( LOW BUDGET VIDEO)
Journey to the center of the earth
Champion jim (LOW BUDGET VIDEO)

There was also a fair few new ones including one with no music hes just written about it being not as cold as it use to be

Im sure Im forgetting some from this list but you get the picture

A fantastic night, One of these days Im just gonna follow the tour around europe! you cant get tired of seeing them proform!!!!!!

Who else was there tonight?

now i need to sleep i think night all x
jimlefevre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this forum.

Saw Jeff at the Luminaire on Monday and I can thank the world MY LIFE HAS CHANGED.

What a gig, what a guy. Wow wow wow. The Windmill was sold out so couldn't get to it last night and it sounded fantastic.

Curses.

Hooray for Jeff, London has been saved, is he playing again on his way back from the tour?

Jim
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Jim and will : what a great review, feels like i was there, thanks !!! Laughing
ema

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaahhhh...huge !!!!! jack lewis band !!!!!! aww man, you're so lucky !!!!!!!!and if life exists !!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .....i'm terribly jealous....it seems you had a wonderful night... even if i'm not that surprised...heheh..thanks for this awesome review Will.
can i join you if you decide to follow them around their europe tour? let's make the first "message boarders european tour"!!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimlefevre wrote:
Just discovered this forum.

Saw Jeff at the Luminaire on Monday and I can thank the world MY LIFE HAS CHANGED.

What a gig, what a guy. Wow wow wow. The Windmill was sold out so couldn't get to it last night and it sounded fantastic.

Curses.

Hooray for Jeff, London has been saved, is he playing again on his way back from the tour?

Jim

hi jim, bienvenue !
yeah...wow wow wow !

for your info, here are the dates :
http://jeffreylewisboard.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=134&start=15
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, welcome, I wasw so tempted to go to the luminaire gig as well but my friend talked me out of it as it was north of the river which in hindsight was a terrible reason! - I need new friends!!

sounds like you had a great time.

ema wrote:

can i join you if you decide to follow them around their europe tour? let's make the first "message boarders european tour"!!!! Laughing

Of course you can ema, the more the merrier, It'll be much more fun with company Very Happy

ema wrote:
aaaahhhh...huge !!!!! jack lewis band !!!!!! aww man, you're so lucky !!!!!!!!and if life exists !!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .....i'm terribly jealous....it seems you had a wonderful night... even if i'm not that surprised...heheh..thanks for this awesome review Will.

By the way don't worry I didn't leave him cold and broken lol