Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

no feelings in my heart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ema

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: no feelings in my heart Reply with quote

All my life, around me, folks have been falling in love
they say, you get a feeling in your heart
and it makes them so happy, that's good for them
but as for me
I can't have no feelings in my heart
my heart's just that thing next to my lungs
no more feeling than my leg or my tongue
my heart pumps in, my heart pumps out
that's all at my heart's about
so I can't have no feelings in my heart
I don't think I'm heartless, cuz my blood still gets around
that's the only job it has so far and no other function can be found
once, for a minute, I thought that I was falling in love,
and I just came I fell asleep
I wonder if there's something wrong with me
cuz as my life goes on,
I see my friends all fall in love
they say, you get a feeling in your heart
it makes them so happy, that's good for them
but as for me
I can't have no feelings in my heart
my heart is just that thing under my rib
got no more feeling than my hand and eyelid
my heart pumps in, my heart pumps out
that's all at my heart's about
so i can't have no feelings in my heart
kind of think ,I've just spent too much time alone making art
so I can't have no feelings in my heart
but if I can, I wish they'd hurry up and start

thanks Hamlet!

Last edited by ema on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
hamlet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, ema , but with a few mistakes, the most important one being Jeff's deliberate use of a double negative ( poor grammer) when he says "I can't have no feelings in my heart" ( indicating a state of fatigue and depression where one lets grammer lapse or is intentionally trying to sound illiterate and folksier. "I can't have any feelings in my heart" is the proper way if saying it.) Besides that, line 4, But as for me. Fonction in English is spelled function. They say you get a feeling in your heart--line 18. Line 20 but as for me. Can't understand last word in line 23. Line 27 Kind of think I've just spent too much time....but if I can I wish they'd hurry up and start.
We need a Jeff Lewis song book. Also, seats in Jeff Lewis concerts.
ema

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy yay, thanks hamlet!

oh when i wrote it down in my notepad, i wrote "i can't have no feelings ..." everywhere....but when i made my post yesterday...i thought "but, i can't use a double negative, mm big idiot"....so i thought it was "i can have no feelings" even if i heard "can't " ...i feel even more idiot now!!! Embarassed...but i was right in fact! Laughing i'm not totally crazy, except that i didn't know that you "could" use a double negative in order to make people understand that you feel low, down.....does that mean that "no" has a stronger power than "any" in that case? i think i just get it...we (fronch) also use the double negative, but usually... only to make the line rhymed or punned...that's why i didn't get all the "can't/can no/any" thingy...but it's not really about that, is it?......oh and why do you say folksier? does that mean that folks don't speak a proper english?...and i'm not talking about the accent there....i had no idea...i knew they used a certain vocabulary and turn of phrases, construction,cast of mind...hum, i don't know if cast of mind really means what i wanna say...it sounds pretty pejorative to my ear, but you probably see what i mean,i mean...in the good way Smile .....but i did not know they didn't care about grammar.

we definitely need a jeff song book!i already got one, well, it's not just about jeff's lyrics...but almost.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ema,
I see that you've given the matter a lot of thought and know a lot about English usage. Wish my knowledge of French argot were half as good. "No" doesn't have more power than "any." A literate or educated person would say "I can't have any." A blue collar (worker) person, a peasant, someone who would say "ain't", might say, "I can't have no..." He would be understood though it's ungrammatical. Folk music is the music of the people, the laborers, the farmers, rural people, les croquants et les croquantes.. It is not the music of the lawyers, the doctors, teachers, big businessmen, the bourgeosie. That's what I meant by the double negative being folksier. Bob Dylan talks that way most of the time and he's our leading poet-songwriter. Woody Guthrie wrote "I ain't got no home in this world anymore." ( Some people say two negatives make a positve but it's a joke. They aren't used that way in speech. I don't understand your phrase "cast of mind." Must be something from French. What is the French word you are thinking of?
Kieron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood "cast of mind" to mean frame of mind, as in, mindset, I guess... I don't speak French, it's just my interpretation Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ema

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed thanks but i have no merit...i didn't really learn english at school, i had good grades tho...but it's cuz it was tooo easy...ha.....but the thing is i love english since i'm a kidlet, that's all...I keep interest in even after all those years... and i learned much more thanks to the music, cinema, books or mag ect...i think that's the best way to learn, when you can't live in the country...ooh and i forgot, i have to say that message boards can help as well, you learn different words from all over the world! i love it!

coincidence, i'm listenning "oh babe, it ain't no lie" elizabeth Cotten...hehe

as for cast of mind, Kieron is right, "mindset" is what i meant... err sorry...i know that the expression "cast of mind " exists cuz i already heard it before...it's maybe only british...dunno.....but as i never really liked the word cast...i thought that i should say that i meant... in the good way like... related/linked soul/ mind....state of mind...i can't even find a french expression that would make you understand...hmmm something like "ils sont sur la même longueur d'onde" moouais, un truc comme ça!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing ema, that you know English so well without studying it in school. The best place on the Internet for word discussion and translation help is the WordReferenceforum.com. There are helpful people from many countries willing to answer your questions in a few hours, sometimes quicker. Everybody should know about this forum and join in.
ema

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i just join in....i didn't know this forum, thanks for the info Thelma...it seems very interesting...i hope they translate irish, london slang, yankee, dixie dialect... cuz it can be slightly different...for eg,in the US, a long sandwich with lots of cold cuts and toppings is a Sub but also Hoagie, Grinder or Hero ect...it depends from where you're located... and that's all these lil' things that i would like to improve...i'm sure this forum is gonna be very helpful! Smile

well, i learned english at school, it's compulsory when you reach the 6eme (10/11 years old) and even before that age in some schools.....but usually, the level is kinda low and you don't learn anything in fact, apart a few polite expressions or letter endings, iregular verbs list....well it's a lot of theory and not enough practice, in my opinion.my english courses never really helped me , i learned lots more via music and cinéma!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ema, I started studying French in high school, second year. I was 15 or 16. In university it was all books and papers. I could read French literature but not be able to talk to four year old. I still feel like a frozen computer when I speak French and cannot find a word. Maybe a long vacation on the Riviera would help me.
ema

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for suuuuure!!!hehhe....then, you'll get this lovely shiny accent from the south...mmm..i might join you....ohh....peuchère (i'm sure you probably know that already, but for the others peeps, it sort of means poor you)!

i feel exactly like you when i have to speak in english, it's pathetic and really starts to annoy me an awful lot...i sadly lack self-confidence...but most of all, i HATE my accent!!and then,i get petrified, paralysed by damn shyness Mad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans think a French accent is chic. Since the French that came over here had a lot of money, opened expensive designer boutiques and haute cuisine French restaurants, it's even status-y to have French accent. As long as you are understood, don't worry about the accent. I can imitate a French accent better than many anglophones but sometimes I am not understood . It's embarassing. Language is insane. I hope you listened to the Jeff Radio Unnameable show Dave just posted.
ema

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesssss!!! i'm listening to Minnie at the moment!! it's brilliant, thanks for sharing it with all of us, Thelma! Very Happy

yeah language is insane but also terribly interesting i reckon....and i'd like to hear that french accent you 've got..hehhe...i can speak french with a strong american or a thick british accent as well....but only in french....when i have to talk in english, i get my accent "bien français" back! booooo....

hahah!!! french accent??chic?? yeah right, it's more a yokel accent for me...but i see what you mean, i don't really know why we're often associate to pedant voluptious snobs....apart the fact that, yes, we've got good chefs, perfumes or designers and,we do like culture and arts with all their history but...the majority of us don't live luxuriously...i guess the ones who come to the US for bussiness (i never knew how to spell business...but then again, it's not that important ), are the most money greedy..market analysis, economy.....dunno ...buuut it's another subject and i might get lost in translation. i'm always quite confused when i talk about damn money, it gets me on my nerves, and i loose my objectivity...surely cuz i'm poor! but as for me, the world would be better without it, and i try to not accept this society indoctrination as most as i can....but i'm stuck to one point, i have to pay the bills!ohhh those bastards!
yeah, i'm grumpy, sorry, i mumble today!!

how was your day, today?well, it's just kinda everywhere right now so it's been on my mind a lot lately. but if you don't wanna talk about it and you're sick of all this, that's ok, i'll totally understand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today was 9/11 in the US, especially in New York we turn on the TV and see the ultimate victims of money and greed, 3000 people who went to work for their dollars one day and found themselves incinerated in a towering inferno with their world collapsing around them as their fellow workers flung themselves out windows on the 95th floor. The TV read off the names of all the victims, but not the names of all the Iraquis and Afghanistani murdered by the US army after the attack . They don't matter, they are so foreign we don't learn their languages in school or eat their cuisine or wear their designer clothes or talk with them on our message boards. So, we figure, we can kill them if we want their oil. Cheer up ema, things could be worse, and just may get that way.
ema

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't want to offend you, Thelma, i hope that you know that.....i'm a jerk sometimes....often...one should never talk about politics, religion or money with someone you don't really know and i feel sorry for that, it was late and my brain was smoky...what a lame excuse, i know...but my point about money had nothing to do with the 9/11 victims.....it will stay forever in our minds, cuz everybody all over the world has vivid memories of that dark day and will always remember what one was doing at that time...and always remember that feeling.....it IS hard to talk about it or think about it...and that's precisely why we should. so we never, ever get 'comfy' with the subject, we have to be reminded of what really happened that day and remember how it made us feel and still makes us feel.

as for my story, i wrote a long version of what happened on the occasion of the first anniversary. i'll give a shorter version here. basically, i had just shown up for work at 3 after lunch break , so the first tower had already been hit. i remember seeing on yahoo, which was my home page, a headline that read "plane hits world trade center." and i honestly thought nothing of it, i figured it was a cessna or something small, a sad but not really huge accident. so for the next few minutes i just did the usual, got myself some coffee, etc. then i remember my friend and coworker came around to me and said "holy shit ema, did you hear? another passenger jet hit the other trade center." and i looked at him and said, "what do you mean, another passenger jet?" and it was only then that i went onto an american news site and saw the first pics and learned the awful truth.

i was the only one in the building that had `net access, so people kept coming into my area and kinda watching behind my back for the latest news. when we heard that the pentagon got hit, i got really scared. "what the hell is going on?" i yelled at my coworker, and he just shook his head, as scared as helpless as i was. later they got one of the tv's they used for conferences up and running, and they set it up in the cafeteria--just in time to see first tower fall. i think it's fair to say no one worked that day. no one TALKED.yeah, even in France where we're "supposed" to hate y'all...bullshiiit... people walked around in a daze, all of us looking shocked, aghast, disbelieving...it was too much...total chaos everywhere...surreal...like in a movie...but that was real...an awful and scary reality...

only then, in a strange way, as i sat there at my desk, in the soft reality of my familiar surroundings, did it all sink in. and i cried . and then i went back to work for a long afternoon.

ok, maybe our countries and gvts don't share the same point of view in a lot of fields.... let's not go there..... but we also have a long history about terrorism...Algerie in the 60', or with the FIS in the 90', Palestine, Irak against Iran, Afghanistan ect...and it's not cuz we said no to the Irak war...that we're gonna be "forgiven"...certainly not... cuz we're always been for this geopolitic concept "fight the terrorism" or "war on terror" if you prefer....and now, that in Africa, lots of regions became " un etat de non-droit" , diverses groups appear in the Sahel, but also in Belgium, Uk, ect.....scary for all western countries....terrorism is everywhere, and they're not happy.
i know that the US is the country the most "in danger" (heathrow, last month for eg)....and even if NYC seems, i say "seems" to be safe now with all those NYPD Hercules teams deployed throughout the city. well, the danger is still there...propaganda or Wall street polemic ( dirty bombs).....we all know that it's not over..sadly... and the worst is that we can't communicate anymore...they don't want any diplomacy...they don't give a shit about that...cuz they always had nothing to loose anyway, huge huge gap between us...and to be honest, the war in Irak, didn't help at all...the gap is even worse now... the world is full of new banditism groups who like to associate their causes to Al Qaida.
all those Iraquis and Afghanistani dead civilians matter to me... however i don't speak their language, don't believe in their god... still, a life is a life, no matter who you are and where you from.

don't worry, this is my last post about politics, religion or money, i won't bother y'all anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ema, for telling me how it was in France on 9/11/01. Your people were more shaken by it than by your average news report of war's destruction, earthquakes, floods, avalanches--commmon occurences that kill more than 3000 people. Europe had worse grief in World War 2 but it was before your time. New York carries on with police patrols ,terror warnings, monuments and memorials, people with scarred lungs , scarred psyches. So let's get back to music which provides us with some escape.