Jeff Lewis
message board

FAQ     Search     Memberlist     Usergroups     Register  
  Profile     Log in to check your private messages     Log in  

Archives?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflewis

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Archives? Reply with quote

Hi all!
I spent all day over at Matt Mason's place entering some of my old cassette recordings into his computer so that I'll be able to preserve them and potentially put them out on CD. Digging through the piles of tapes in my old room at my parents' place I've found all my original cassette albums (there's about 6 of them, between 1997 and 2001) plus a bunch of live tapes, which I'm trying to go through and label. I was originally thinking I'd do a compilation of the best of this unreleased and/or live stuff but now I'm thinking maybe I should just release each one on CD in its complete original form. Well, the "Indie-Rock Fortune Cookie" tape and the "The Only Time I Feel Right Is When I'm Drawing Comic Books" tape contain almost all the recordings that comprise the Rough Trade "Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane" CD - so I probably would just turn these two tapes into one CD of all of the left-over songs that remain on each of them. But there's a lot of other stuff and I'm not sure what to do with it. Some of the songs were re-recorded in better versions for the "official" albums - songs like Graveyard, Gold, Beach Party, Flood, I Saw A Hippie Girl, Back When I Was 4, Sea Song and some others, appear in early (mostly much worse!) forms on some of the tapes. Most of this tape material has been unreleased for a reason - it's just not very good! Maybe I'll release these old albums and live shows as super-cheap releases, like 5 dollars or less, sold from the Olive Juice Music site, and release one a month for a year or something! But is it bad to overload the public with too much mediocre material? Maybe I should just condense the best stuff onto a double or triple album, like the Moldy Peaches double album "Unreleased Cutz and Live Jamz".
Any suggestions?
ema

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Archives? Reply with quote

jefflewis wrote:
Maybe I'll release these old albums and live shows as super-cheap releases, like 5 dollars or less, sold from the Olive Juice Music site, and release one a month for a year or something!

Hey,
this is not baaad, it's an excellent idea !!!!
i know a bunch of people (including me) who'd crave for that! so, don't worry !
and noooo, not a condensed double album, please......i reckon that one release per month is a better idea....i'm sure we all wanna listen every versions, live, demos...don't we, guys?!! Very Happy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your point Jeffrey, i guess as a "fan" i'll be happy to hear each one of these song, but i also understand that you may want to release the one you think that are the best.....'im pretty sure everyone here will agree with Ema and me, a cd per month is the best idea.
We can obviously make a sticky hear and keep it updated, with direct link to the ordering page @ olive juice.
The third idea can be making one double or triple for random fans and a pack of 12 ones for die hard fans.
About your materials that you said they're not that good, well, i guess we can enjoy each of your song like you enjoyed the Barrett rarities.

Last edited by Dav on Tue May 09, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kieron

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems slightly odd -- asking the fans how the artist should distribute his own music! Seems like some kind of new-fangled democracy to me! My opinion is that putting together a huge compilation CD wouldn't be that great. I have the Moldy Peaches one, and while it's fair to say I love it, it does seem slightly odd having five different versions of one song repeated at several points on one album. Much nicer would be to make like for like copies of each recording as everyone else so far has suggested. Only thing with me, is that I have never used Olive Juice -- I'd be worried of missing some of them! But it appears to be the best way forward. I can't imagine any record shops wanting to stock each month's album and then pulling them from the shelves at the end of each month.

NB. I only don't use Olive Juice because I'm a bit scared of mail order, it's nothing personal to OJ at all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff

I reckon putting each separate thing on a separate CD and selling them cheapish via OJ is a great idea. It doesn't matter about the quality etc - half the fun of these things is buying a CD of rarities and demos and finding a gem. I mean, it's going to be a fan thing anyway, right? And we fall like a pack of salivating wolves on anything that we haven't already got, don't we? (see the download section of this board!!). It doesn't have to be shiny Rough Trade *product* for us to want it.

And, as I once discussed with you (at the Joseph's Well in Leeds, as I remember), Andre Herman Dune does pretty well out of that cheap Cd-R album thing. I must have nearly thirty of his cd-rs and although they are not all truly essential, there's at least something to be said for each of them.

I also like the idea of selling them via OJ - anything that the "higher profile" anti-folksters can do to draw attention to the lesser known stuff has got to be a good idea. And I love the idea of people buying your Cds from OJ and getting loads of those little OJ stickers!!

OK, that's my two penn'orth.

Whichever way you choose to jump - do it soon, eh???
chocabloc

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure about it. i don't know how good the tapes are, but you've got to exercise some quality control if you're going to ask people to buy them. maybe putting together a double album, and also selling some of the individual ones at your shows would be a better idea. it's always pretty exciting comin back from one of your gigs with a cdr by you or jack, but perhaps its the relative rarity of these things that makes it special. i'd completely love to hear this stuff, but 12 albums might be overdoing it, especially if its really lo-fi and with a lot of versions of the same songs.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 6 of rarities/demos and 6 live show if i understand correctly.....you can have more info about old cassettes here : http://www.thejeffreylewissite.com/Discography_reverse.htm
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 bucks is pretty cheap anyway ! and you don't have to buy them all if you don't want to Wink
jack fe

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'd love to hear anything in any form.

The idea of releasing them all separatly sounds great. It would feel so much more complete, but I love the idea of a compilation like 'Unlreased Cutz...'.
Although, I am the kind of fan that loves to hear the same song in 37 slightly different versions. But maybe thats just me.
I'll be buying whatever you put out.
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack fe wrote:

Although, I am the kind of fan that loves to hear the same song in 37 slightly different versions. But maybe thats just me.

you're not alone Smile
bibasse

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Even it you're not a die-hard fan, that's quite enjoyable.

(*) Limited to 255.
terricloth

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the seeminly unpopular idea of doing it "unreleased cuts and live jamz" style. i guess just because i dont get around to buying cds enough, and if its all on one package then i can get the whole kit&caboodle, instaed of buyin one and never getting around to gettin the others
hamlet

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jeff, great idea. The Bargain Basement Tapes!!! $5. Get them out before the bootleggers do. Never enuf Jeff CDs. Artwork and legible lyrics too, please.
Thelma
duncan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously Jeff this sounds incredible! You have to please release the one album a month thing on Olive Juice. Especially make sure to keep it just from their site to get exposure. I agree with nearly everyone above that to have rarities and obscure tracks is the way forward. It's so much better to have a true interpretation of the archives rather than a limited compilation double or triple. Your choice but i think you know what you'll do.. nice one
Dav
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one a month made me think of wedding present, They were one of John Peel fave band, maybe some of you didn't know them cos it's english and not really a notorious band, maybe some are too young but here is the story.

In 1993 (not sure maybe 92) wedding present arrived with this cool concept :
One 7' per month, a side was an original song and b-side was a cover, (they did great cover version of "theme from shaft" and "falling" the opening theme from Twin Peaks).
So every first monday of the month a new 7inch hit the store, unfortunatly only a few arrived to me, i may own four of twelve.

All this to say that it's a great memory, waiting each month for a new release.